Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me on what to do at this point. My guide told me last week that the truck is arriving and said this to me in the chat last Thursday:

”… It looks like the truck is estimated to arrive today at our service center! Hoping you get behind the wheel either Friday or Saturday! :p

So I went and prepared everything and even tried to wire the money over to them on Friday. I asked my guide first thing Friday morning at 9:54am for the wiring info because Plaid can’t see my bank. He responded back at 1:33pm PST with them so I missed the wiring window so now it won’t be til Monday. I was a bit upset because I though “crap now I can’t get the truck til next week…”

Well, turns out he never told me the truck will need to go through a few days of inspections. Fine, I am glad it does but I wish I knew that so I didn’t have to rush to pay. It is now end of day Wednesday, my guide has been radio silence and non-responsive just like how he has been since I connected with him this past June. I am $100k out, no truck, no status update, and no one from CS nor Service whom I have spoke to knew what to do. I asked to be contacted by a lead guide yesterday and still no one has reached out to me. I even asked for a new guide when I am already at the finish line because my is so flaky.

I am about to cancel the Rivian just base on principles and ask for my money back. My Ford Lightening will go in production on 11/14/22 and I was going to cancel the Lightening when I drive home the R1T. At least I got another option. What would you do?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Please help me on what to do at this point. My guide told me last week that the truck is arriving and said this to me in the chat last Thursday:

”… It looks like the truck is estimated to arrive today at our service center! Hoping you get behind the wheel either Friday or Saturday! :p

So I went and prepared everything and even tried to wire the money over to them on Friday. I asked my guide first thing Friday morning at 9:54am for the wiring info because Plaid can’t see my bank. He responded back at 1:33pm PST with them so I missed the wiring window so now it won’t be til Monday. I was a bit upset because I though “crap now I can’t get the truck til next week…”

Well, turns out he never told me the truck will need to go through a few days of inspections. Fine, I am glad it does but I wish I knew that so I didn’t have to rush to pay. It is now end of day Wednesday, my guide has been radio silence and non-responsive just like how he has been since I connected with him this past June. I am $100k out, no truck, no status update, and no one from CS nor Service whom I have spoke to knew what to do. I asked to be contacted by a lead guide yesterday and still no one has reached out to me. I even asked for a new guide when I am already at the finish line because my is so flaky.

I am about to cancel the Rivian just base on principles and ask for my money back. My Ford Lightening will go in production on 11/14/22 and I was going to cancel the Lightening when I drive home the R1T. At least I got another option. What would you do?
Definitely cancel, especially if it's in the San Diego area. That will hopefully get me closer to mine.

On a more serious note, while definitely frustrating, considering you've been waiting for (presumably) at least a year, I would definitely write this off as a glitch. Definitely seems like a disconnect between the Guide and the Service Center, and considering it's only been a couple of days, I wouldn't give up a truck over it (unless you are no longer sure R1T is for you). But then again, perhaps I am just more tolerant to these things than most. Another reason not to cancel is that (assuming you have a pre-March 1 reservation), even if you are frustrated enough, why not just buy it and immediately resell it? Days of $100k+ are largely gone, but considering your relatively low base, you can still make $10k-$15k with relative ease. But that's just me. Hope you get your truck soon.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Stay calm…You’ve waited this long….A few more days won’t hurt. I promise, when you do finally get behind the wheel, you’re gonna be blown away. It’s a kick…. And has already been mentioned, you can always flip it and make a few bucks…,Although I’ll bet you never do it…. Haha
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely cancel, especially if it's in the San Diego area. That will hopefully get me closer to mine.

On a more serious note, while definitely frustrating, considering you've been waiting for (presumably) at least a year, I would definitely write this off as a glitch. Definitely seems like a disconnect between the Guide and the Service Center, and considering it's only been a couple of days, I wouldn't give up a truck over it (unless you are no longer sure R1T is for you). But then again, perhaps I am just more tolerant to these things than most. Another reason not to cancel is that (assuming you have a pre-March 1 reservation), even if you are frustrated enough, why not just buy it and immediately resell it? Days of $100k+ are largely gone, but considering your relatively low base, you can still make $10k-$15k with relative ease. But that's just me. Hope you get your truck soon.
Yeah I think I just wanted to rant a bit to get it out of my chest. I’ll just wait it out. Hopefully it’s not anything big during inspection…
 

· Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
On the Ford end, being an MME owner and being on Ford forums, there’s no guarantee that you’ll receive your F-150 when you think you will. It is crappy having to pay money for a vehicle you don’t have. Maybe Rivian comps you those days worth of interest?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
10 Posts
Please help me on what to do at this point. My guide told me last week that the truck is arriving and said this to me in the chat last Thursday: ”… It looks like the truck is estimated to arrive today at our service center! Hoping you get behind the wheel either Friday or Saturday! :p” So I went and prepared everything and even tried to wire the money over to them on Friday. I asked my guide first thing Friday morning at 9:54am for the wiring info because Plaid can’t see my bank. He responded back at 1:33pm PST with them so I missed the wiring window so now it won’t be til Monday. I was a bit upset because I though “crap now I can’t get the truck til next week…” Well, turns out he never told me the truck will need to go through a few days of inspections. Fine, I am glad it does but I wish I knew that so I didn’t have to rush to pay. It is now end of day Wednesday, my guide has been radio silence and non-responsive just like how he has been since I connected with him this past June. I am $100k out, no truck, no status update, and no one from CS nor Service whom I have spoke to knew what to do. I asked to be contacted by a lead guide yesterday and still no one has reached out to me. I even asked for a new guide when I am already at the finish line because my is so flaky. I am about to cancel the Rivian just base on principles and ask for my money back. My Ford Lightening will go in production on 11/14/22 and I was going to cancel the Lightening when I drive home the R1T. At least I got another option. What would you do?
Cancel it! I have had the Rivian for 6 months. Neat at first but the lack of Apple car play or any app like sirius is a huge hassle to connect your phone. And the drive is only ok. I drove my buddies new lightening and coincidentally got an email that it is going into production on that same date. I posted the Rivian for sale this morning.
 

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
Joined
·
76 Posts
If you prefer the features of the Lightning (larger, onboard power, bluecruise are significant to me, apple carplay and android auto are in my other cars and not that valuable to me) then I'd suggest calling Rivian and give them the ultimatum; if they don't respond, cancel the order or offer to put the order back on hold and you retrieve your payment then see what happens with the Lightning. I think the primary objective is to make it clear there's a communication problem and the person responsible for communication is the guide. In my experience, the role of the guide is to "close the sale" and then they're job is done, every other email I've received has been little more than a cut-and-paste on any given topic. I've had the R1T since March and now I'm waiting two months (!) for a service appointment (SF Bay Area) to get minor things fixed. Rivian has to look at their shortcomings in the ownership experience. It's a fun vehicle, I'll keep it for the winter and ski season, but in the spring, I think it goes and gets replaced with whatever comes next (not necessarily Tesla, but clearly not Rivian because they've quiet-quit the Max Pack.) I think '23 is looking like a good year to buy an EV … more selection, a year of building out the DCFC infrastructure.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Please help me on what to do at this point. My guide told me last week that the truck is arriving and said this to me in the chat last Thursday:

”… It looks like the truck is estimated to arrive today at our service center! Hoping you get behind the wheel either Friday or Saturday! :p

So I went and prepared everything and even tried to wire the money over to them on Friday. I asked my guide first thing Friday morning at 9:54am for the wiring info because Plaid can’t see my bank. He responded back at 1:33pm PST with them so I missed the wiring window so now it won’t be til Monday. I was a bit upset because I though “crap now I can’t get the truck til next week…”

Well, turns out he never told me the truck will need to go through a few days of inspections. Fine, I am glad it does but I wish I knew that so I didn’t have to rush to pay. It is now end of day Wednesday, my guide has been radio silence and non-responsive just like how he has been since I connected with him this past June. I am $100k out, no truck, no status update, and no one from CS nor Service whom I have spoke to knew what to do. I asked to be contacted by a lead guide yesterday and still no one has reached out to me. I even asked for a new guide when I am already at the finish line because my is so flaky.

I am about to cancel the Rivian just base on principles and ask for my money back. My Ford Lightening will go in production on 11/14/22 and I was going to cancel the Lightening when I drive home the R1T. At least I got another option. What would you do?
I understand the frustration. I was fortunate enough to secure mine at the preorder price. I received mine 9 months ago and at the time aftermarket R1Ts were selling for $50K more than I paid for mine. Did I flip it- No. So if you ask me don’t give it up. A few days after it arrives you will be glad you did.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I also have my R1T at a service center awaiting delivery. I am almost 2 weeks past when my guide told me it would be ready. Still waiting. I finally got a response today saying maybe next week it will be ready. Then I have to schedule delivery, which who knows how long that might take. Not only is it paid for already but I had to insure it as well.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
Dude, the instructions on the 8-step say you don't have to pay until delivery, and you don't need the insurance until delivery. Like most people, I waited until I got a delivery date before initiating a wire transfer (money arrived the day before my delivery date), and I set up my insurance to start on the delivery date.

If you have a delivery date and they didn't show, then you have a cause to complain. But if you don't have a delivery date yet then it's not your guide's fault that you already paid. The guide doesn't have any control over the process. Your guide "hopes" you will have it by a certain time, given what usually happens, but until that delivery date shows up on your account it's still TBD when you will actually get something. Paying them early is not going to accelerate the process.
 

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
Joined
·
76 Posts
Well that's silly. Rivian can just sell the same vehicle to someone else at a higher price. There's no leverage here - either work with them or walk away. Threatening to not buy isn't going to get you anywhere.
What's silly about exercising the control of being the consumer in the transaction?
The leverage is the very thing that caused Rivian to reverse it's infamous March '22 price hikes – that was silly?
Manufacturers need to hear the collective intent and sentiment of the people they exploit – their customers and their employees – it's the primary factor influencing decisions in the executive "C suite."
There's no "threat" there's just the finality of an ultimatum, making it clear it's not a negotiation technique or – what would be a silly – step towards some better "deal."
"Not buying" rewards the consumer with all the advantages of not swapping cash for goods and services, opening up the future opportunity (in this case, a Lightning.)
The buyer can only spend that cash once. Some will want optimal value for money, some will be less aware of their options and circumstances (e.g. cost of money, auto industry primary market.) If you want more information on personal finance, google "opportunity cost."
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Please help me on what to do at this point. My guide told me last week that the truck is arriving and said this to me in the chat last Thursday:

”… It looks like the truck is estimated to arrive today at our service center! Hoping you get behind the wheel either Friday or Saturday! :p

So I went and prepared everything and even tried to wire the money over to them on Friday. I asked my guide first thing Friday morning at 9:54am for the wiring info because Plaid can’t see my bank. He responded back at 1:33pm PST with them so I missed the wiring window so now it won’t be til Monday. I was a bit upset because I though “crap now I can’t get the truck til next week…”

Well, turns out he never told me the truck will need to go through a few days of inspections. Fine, I am glad it does but I wish I knew that so I didn’t have to rush to pay. It is now end of day Wednesday, my guide has been radio silence and non-responsive just like how he has been since I connected with him this past June. I am $100k out, no truck, no status update, and no one from CS nor Service whom I have spoke to knew what to do. I asked to be contacted by a lead guide yesterday and still no one has reached out to me. I even asked for a new guide when I am already at the finish line because my is so flaky.

I am about to cancel the Rivian just base on principles and ask for my money back. My Ford Lightening will go in production on 11/14/22 and I was going to cancel the Lightening when I drive home the R1T. At least I got another option. What would you do?
I went through the exact same thing. Wait it out, you will be glad you did.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Please help me on what to do at this point. My guide told me last week that the truck is arriving and said this to me in the chat last Thursday:

”… It looks like the truck is estimated to arrive today at our service center! Hoping you get behind the wheel either Friday or Saturday! :p

So I went and prepared everything and even tried to wire the money over to them on Friday. I asked my guide first thing Friday morning at 9:54am for the wiring info because Plaid can’t see my bank. He responded back at 1:33pm PST with them so I missed the wiring window so now it won’t be til Monday. I was a bit upset because I though “crap now I can’t get the truck til next week…”

Well, turns out he never told me the truck will need to go through a few days of inspections. Fine, I am glad it does but I wish I knew that so I didn’t have to rush to pay. It is now end of day Wednesday, my guide has been radio silence and non-responsive just like how he has been since I connected with him this past June. I am $100k out, no truck, no status update, and no one from CS nor Service whom I have spoke to knew what to do. I asked to be contacted by a lead guide yesterday and still no one has reached out to me. I even asked for a new guide when I am already at the finish line because my is so flaky.

I am about to cancel the Rivian just base on principles and ask for my money back. My Ford Lightening will go in production on 11/14/22 and I was going to cancel the Lightening when I drive home the R1T. At least I got another option. What would you do?
Do you know where your service center is located. I'd show up on their doorstep and get a more direct answer. The folks at the service centers are extremely helpful in person. I found the guides to be lacking in their willingness to go that extra mile for support.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top