Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for those owners (Rivis? nah...) who live in hot country - how does the truck do when it's really hot? Running-wise, A/C, etc... I live in the Central Valley, in the summertime, it's often over 95, cracking over 100 more than I care to think about. Anyone in the valley, in Phoenix, etc? I know there are a couple trucks in the area, but never been close enough to chat with the driver.
I got a "Rivian Store" offer last week, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or wait for my Max battery pack...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Been experiencing some 100+ degree days, lately. Truck does well. I feel very comfortable inside the cab. A/C works well, and it gets cool quickly -- much quicker than my ICE vehicle. I was worried the glass roof would be too hot, but it isn't. I did install some tint on the front side windows, but I haven't put anything on the windshield or roof. Overall, I think the truck handles the heat really well.

Outside the truck, the fan and compressor can really make a racket, however. You can really hear them working to keep you cool.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
Been at the 100 mark here for a few days and had high 90's earlier. Haven't had an issue. I will say I've enjoyed pet mode. I find myself kicking it on when I'm just getting out for a few minutes into a store or something, that way it stays cool until I get back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So, for those owners (Rivis? nah...) who live in hot country - how does the truck do when it's really hot? Running-wise, A/C, etc... I live in the Central Valley, in the summertime, it's often over 95, cracking over 100 more than I care to think about. Anyone in the valley, in Phoenix, etc? I know there are a couple trucks in the area, but never been close enough to chat with the driver.
I got a "Rivian Store" offer last week, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or wait for my Max battery pack...
I am in Florida and it has been in the high 90s with index in the mid 100s. I’ve had my truck for two days and the AC seems to keep up with the seat coolers on. I did tint the roof and windshield as well the rest of the windows, but windshield and roof are very light. Just got it for the UV protection. So far so good.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I did a drive in Phoenix. 122 degrees indicated outside temperature

When jumping in the car from a stop, it was HOT. We did about an hour drive, at no point did the car go limp or have any major thermal issues. However, the fans were basically on full blast, it was quite loud inside the vehicle but at no point was I uncomfortable - unless the sun was coming through the windshield. Then it got a little toasty.

When I finished and jumped into my Ford Explorer, I felt more comfortable in the Ford than I did in the Rivian but even now I don't recall truly being uncomfortable or feeling worried about the AC in the Rivian.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a drive in Phoenix. 122 degrees indicated outside temperature

When jumping in the car from a stop, it was HOT. We did about an hour drive, at no point did the car go limp or have any major thermal issues. However, the fans were basically on full blast, it was quite loud inside the vehicle but at no point was I uncomfortable - unless the sun was coming through the windshield. Then it got a little toasty.

When I finished and jumped into my Ford Explorer, I felt more comfortable in the Ford than I did in the Rivian but even now I don't recall truly being uncomfortable or feeling worried about the AC in the Rivian.

Hope that helps.
Does, thanks. I grew up in Phoenix, so I know how hot it gets there. It's not a lot cooler here in the valley, but it is some - fewer 100+ days.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm down in Tucson. We don't get as hot as Phoenix, but we have had plenty of 100+ days recently. I have been really impressed with the truck staying cool. I have not done any aftermarket tint. So far, the factory tint seems to suffice. My garage is not climate controlled. So in the afternoon, it is crazy hot in the cab when I get in. I leave the climate control set to "auto" at 72 degrees and it cools very quickly. Way faster than my Tacoma. The HVAC does sound jet engine loud for a few minutes, but then it quiets down as it gets the cab temp down. I then adjust the temp up a few degrees so my toes don't freeze. The ventilated seats are amazing!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did all the windows including the roof and windshield with xpel prime XR plus. It's been over a hundred a bunch of days here and the inside stays frosty cool. I leave the system on auto and end up turning it up to 72 or 73..
I took it in the first week I got it to do the XPEL windows and coatings so I don't know how much of a difference it actually made but my ac has no problem keeping cool.
My wife just got the Volvo recharge until we get the R1S delivery. We may take it in too and have it done

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
AC is serviceable, not great. Seems to be more effective when truck is “warmed up”. I find myself cooling it down from the app beforehand. Seat cooler works well.
Yes to the cool down before getting in, if even for just a few minutes. The more that I have used pet mode at short stops, the more I think the AC likes to run sitting still best. Often times I actually feel cold when I get back in now. Doesn't seem to consume much energy either using it like that.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I will say this. The black trim pieces surrounding the windows (which i really like instead of chrome) can get blistering hot in the sun. These are on the EXTERIOR of the car, but the piece along the bottom edge of the window is where you might rest your arm if you were to start off with the window down. Be careful if you rest your arm there before you get the car in motion... I have had no issues with the AC, but as others have stated, the fan sure is loud when the vehicle is working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We did a First Drive in Kansas City this week. It was about 90F during our drive and it was me, my wife, and our son. During the drive I thought the cabin was a bit warm for the 68F the AC was set on and the seat coolers definitely helped. I of course had read the discussions here on the forum about the AC issues so I thought maybe my opinion was tainted. After our drive was over my wife and son both commented they thought it was really warm during the drive. I do think additional tint on the roof and windows would make a big difference. My kids also complain about the temp in our Model S so maybe we are all overly sensitive to the lack of AC in EVs.

We absolutely loved the truck. We can’t wait for our max pack to be ready.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
66 Posts
AC is serviceable, not great. Seems to be more effective when truck is “warmed up”. I find myself cooling it down from the app beforehand. Seat cooler works well.
I do that on my Tesla when I leave my office headed to the car. The days I forget are REALLY ANNOYING. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
We did a First Drive in Kansas City this week. It was about 90F during our drive and it was me, my wife, and our son. During the drive I thought the cabin was a bit warm for the 68F the AC was set on and the seat coolers definitely helped. I of course had read the discussions here on the forum about the AC issues so I thought maybe my opinion was tainted. After our drive was over my wife and son both commented they thought it was really warm during the drive. I do think additional tint on the roof and windows would make a big difference. My kids also complain about the temp in our Model S so maybe we are all overly sensitive to the lack of AC in EVs.

We absolutely loved the truck. We can’t wait for our max pack to be ready.
Our 1st drive was the same way in that even with the truck sitting there cooling down some, the HVAC fans remained on high the whole time we drove, except towards the end when I deliberately increased the desired temp on the driver’s side in order to slow them down.

First thing I will do on our R1S next year is tint the front windows to 20% and get perhaps 5% on the sunroof. It was incredibly shortsighted of Rivian not to design in a retractable shade as it helps tremendously in keeping interior temps down.

Last point: the truck does not have a heat pump at the moment from what I gather although plans are for one to be added in the future iirc. My etron does use a heat pump and regardless of outside temps the interior is super cooled off when I start the climate control remotely even if it’s just 5 minutes before getting the car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts