Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a long while back that my only reservation about the Rivian was it's Model 3 likeness in terms of controls and functions. I'm one that personally prefers a few high-use buttons over going to the screen for everything. It's one of the big reasons I got rid of the Model 3 after just a couple of months and went back to the Model S. Happy the Rivian at least has windshield wiper controls on the stalk. However, in a newly discovered Model 3 like feature, just discovered that the key fob is not passive (proximity based), despite there being an option to turn it on. Very disappointed in this. Have to manually press the buttons to lock and unlock. Not many new cars, even cheap ones, that I'm aware of that don't have this feature.

It will work if you use your phone as a key. However, I'm not one that lives with my phone on my hip. I leave it in the car quite often. So, using the phone as a key isn't an option for me. Tesla originally didn't offer key fobs on the Model 3. When they originally did, it also wasn't passive. But, they changed it and now it is. I'm hoping that the fob is actually capable of it, and it can be updated via a software update.....SOON.

Other than that, so far, don't have much to complain about. I do wish the homelink was GPS based like Tesla's is. Tesla automatically opens and closes the garage door when leaving and arriving. With the Rivian, it's two taps away. Again, hopefully something they can update in the future.

Considering buying the smallest smart phone I can find to use it as a designated key fob only. Problem is, I can't find any info on what version of Android is required to get the Rivian App. I tried to download it on an older phone and it won't come up in the search results (not compatible with the older Android system). Most of the small phones I see are on Android 8.1. Not sure if the app will work with that as I think they're on 12 or 13 now? Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You could use a keycard or wristband as a key, if you like. Wristband seems least intrusive, and is probably what I'll do on hikes or at the gym. I hope someone comes out with something I can slip onto an existing watch band, as I don't want to wear a full wristband with my watch... But we'll see.

As far as PAAK, you need Android 9+

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could use a keycard or wristband as a key, if you like. Wristband seems least intrusive, and is probably what I'll do on hikes or at the gym. I hope someone comes out with something I can slip onto an existing watch band, as I don't want to wear a full wristband with my watch... But we'll see.

As far as PAAK, you need Android 9+

View attachment 6436
Thank you for posting this. Was looking all over and couldn't find anything that had the version. I may have looked at this same post and missed it at he bottom. Thanks again. Unfortunately, that means the smallest phones I've found won't work. And being that it's common for them to stop supporting older versions, probably safer to find something with at least Android 10 or 11 to insure that it will work for a few years. Hate the thought of having to buy a phone just for this. Hoping Rivian can update the fob. Key cars still require pulling it out of your pocket. Wristband probably isn't a bad option if you don't mind wearing it all the time. Being able to just walk up and open the door is the best option, unfortunately, the phone option appears to be the only option with this capability at this time. Will start shopping for Android 10+ phones!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel your frustration, but a phone? Even a small phone is a huge fob, and a hassle to maintain. I personally am not bothered by having to press a button, but then again it's all personal preference.
For many, they get in their vehicle twice a day, to and from work. For me, I use my vehicle for work and am in and out at least 10-15 times a day. So, what seems so simple becomes annoying a bit quicker. I likely wouldn't have an issue with it if I were just in and out a couple times a day. Some days, I'm literally in and out over 30 times.

I feel your frustration, but a phone? Even a small phone is a huge fob, and a hassle to maintain. I personally am not bothered by having to press a button, but then again it's all personal preference.
My personal phone is a big one. Plus as noted, I leave it in the car often. I figure any type of smaller phone that will fit in the front pocket and leave it there, will act as an oversized key fob. No need to connect or have service to it. Will just be used for the app and bluetooth connection. CERTAINLY not ideal, but given the key fob scenario, seems to be my personal best option.

On a separate note, Rivian called today to discuss all the accessories that I have coming. I did discuss the fob issue. He indicated that they are working on it. So, the good thing is, the fob is capable. Apparently was killing the battery in the fob too quickly, so is disabled until they solve the issue. Hopefully, should come in the future. At least there's hope!

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
29 Posts
... So, the good thing is, the fob is capable. Apparently was killing the battery in the fob too quickly, so is disabled until they solve the issue. Hopefully, should come in the future. At least there's hope!
That's good news that the fob is capable. I've got a pair of faraday bags that I've used with my passive Subaru fobs for years (stupid fast battery drain before I started using these). So I'll have no problem popping the fob into one when I'm hanging at home. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1C21O2

pat----

1 - 7 of 7 Posts