Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Key fob

22K views 65 replies 25 participants last post by  Jaywo33 
#1 ·
Searching this ROF, I found this link
about key fobs. Anyone have any updates including functionality (e.g. auto windows up or down, frunk release, cell phone option etc)? It's difficult to see detail in the pics.

#5 ·
My guess is they keep the FOB simple, basically to lock/unlock, alarm and allow you to turn on the car. Mostly likely, it will require their mobile app to do more complex functions, like most manufacturers are doing these days.

One big bummer is that they are only including one key FOB. $80K vehicle with one key FOB? I know that seems to be the trend but then at least also provide a simple card key (like Tesla) for use with valets or when you want to go out on a "adventure" without having to take your key or phone.

#8 ·
Only ONE key fob?! That's unheard of. I have never purchased a car with less than 2 keys. If just one, I bet they say the second key is your phone, which isn't cool.
Rivian: Please don't nickel and dime us by including only one key fob. We are going to pay a lot for the vehicle.

I do hope it will have more functionality such as window up and down, frunk open, etc.

#14 ·
For you, maybe. Is my dog gonna drive it though? I don't need a second, aside from having one as a spare just sitting in a drawer for emergencies (which the app makes obsolete). I'm happy enough with one, and applaud the flexibility of choosing how many we actually need, rather than paying for expensive fobs that I don't need.

#15 ·
Here's the response I got from Rivian CS:

"The R1 does include one key fob, and you’ll have access to the vehicle through our app. No worries though - our vehicles are designed for adventure, so we’ll have additional options to operate the R1 wherever your journey leads and whatever activity you’re doing!"

When I asked what "additional options" are, they said they would share that closer to deliveries. Which I'm beginning to suspect means they just don't know or its not finalized yet. If they aren't ready with a small detail like the fob, what else isn't ready?

#18 · (Edited)
If you can unlock by using the bluetooth or NFC feature on the phone, that's an acceptable alternative to having a fob. I would worry about an adventure vehicle having to be unlocked using a cell signal from the app (like Tesla currently does). What happens if you're in a no-cell signal area (like in the middle of the mountains) and you can't open the vehicle because of no cell signal?

#19 ·
If you can unlock by using the bluetooth of NFC feature on the phone, that's an acceptable alternative to having a fob. I would worry about an adventure vehicle having to be unlocked using a cell signal from the app (like Tesla currently does). What happens if you're in a no-cell signal area (like in the middle of the mountains) and you can't open the vehicle because of no cell signal?
I thought the Model 3/Y used bluetooth when using a phone as a key?

Reactions: fallen888
#23 ·
I completely agree with all who think we should get 2 key fobs with our vehicle purchase that unlock the doors as we walk up. Please Rivian, don't cheap out on not providing 2 key fobs. Isn't that technology from a decade or more ago? Despite what German automakers charge for key fobs, they can't be that expensive, can they? Note: replacing a BMW key fob that went through the washing machine and dryer in my son's pants pocket cost over $500. Rivian- please don't be like BMW.

I also agree that fiddling with an app on your phone when your hands might be full of "adventure" stuff or non-adventure stuff like groceries or kids ...LOL... is too much.
I guess the car could automatically recognize your phone bluetooth and open the door, but what if the app is not running or phone is off, or something else? Since our phones do so much, bluetooth functions can get turned off.
Sometimes single purpose hardware (key fob) is good.

#29 · (Edited)
You're jumping to conclusions. It will likely work the way my garage door opener or my electronic deadbolt works. Internet-linked so I can open it for someone else when I'm miles away from home and bluetooth for when I'm 20 feet away.

The point being, if this is obvious to the manufacturer of a $150 item then Rivian can likely figure it out.

#30 ·
To me there’s 3 solutions to this.
  1. Bluetooth. Phone communicates directly with car via Bluetooth. No internet connection needed.
  2. WiFi. Phone connects to car’s WiFi network. No internet connection needed.
  3. Internet. Phone connects to the internet which then communicates with the car via the internet. Internet connection required.
Options 1 and 2 require the phone to be in close proximity to the car. Option 3 does not.

I’m pretty sure the Tesla mobile app uses option 3. I have no idea which method Rivian has chosen. Might be a good question for CS, although I doubt you’d get a straight answer.

#32 ·
Tesla uses both 1 and 3. The Model 3/Y can use the phone as a key via bluetooth. All modern Teslas can use an app via cellular.

There is a 4th option, as well: NFC. This would have the benefit of still working even if your phone battery is dead.

I know Rivian won't support it, but to provide some additional background, Apple made a big deal about NFC in their "CarKey" presentation. Bluetooth is their primary communication medium, which enables a larger featureset, such as auto lock/unlock as you approach or walk away from the vehicle; however, NFC is also used so you can hold your phone to a sensor on the car door to unlock even when the phone is dead.

Reactions: Wildabeest
#36 ·
I suppose bluetooth would work as phone approaches the vehicle, but sometimes bluetooth settings get goofed up. Can bluetooth be set so the app doesn't need to be open? I don't know anything about NFC.
Still want 2 key fobs.
Maybe we can "negotiate" a 2nd key fob from the customer engagement person like one might do from a salesperson at a regular dealership (probably not bc Rivian won't have regular dealerships).

#37 ·
I suppose bluetooth would work as phone approaches the vehicle, but sometimes bluetooth settings get goofed up. Can bluetooth be set so the app doesn't need to be open?
The app needs to be ”running” but it can be in the background. It doesn’t have to be open/active on your screen.

#48 ·
@EVRivTruck: +10 LOL. Me too.

I still want 2 key fobs (or opportunity to buy a 2nd). Even more frequently than I get to work and realize that I forgot my iphone at home, certain apps on the phone "hang" or are non-responsive or bluetooth gets somehow corrupted and doesn't connect requiring me to either restart phone, or quit the app and re-open. etc.

I really like devices that do one thing well. Key Fobs do one thing well. They rarely fail.

#59 ·
This review makes it sound like there is no option for us to have a "key" in our pockets and just walk up to the car without taking the key out to open the doors. If true, this would be a huge omission. Doesn't anyone know if that's an option with any of the keys?
Not with any of the Rivian hardware keys. You can only do this when using the "phone as a key".

#63 ·
That is why you keep the card key in your wallet (or the wristband if you not carrying your wallet). The Model 3/Y is set up the same way. In four years of ownership, I may have had issue with the phone less than five times.

I do have an RFID ring that I use when I am working out and don't have my phone/wallet. I'm curious if I will be able to sync the ring to the Rivian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.