Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching this ROF, I found this link
about key fobs. Anyone have any updates including functionality (e.g. auto windows up or down, frunk release, cell phone option etc)? It's difficult to see detail in the pics.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Don't know 100% for sure, but I would suspect that like most modern day cars, if the FOB is on your person and you pull the door handles, the vehicle locks. Similarly if you have the FOB on you and you touch the door handles in a certain spot, the doors lock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The earlier fob photo had frunk/rear gate buttons and lock/unlock.

My guess is they keep the FOB simple, basically to lock/unlock, alarm and allow you to turn on the car. Mostly likely, it will require their mobile app to do more complex functions, like most manufacturers are doing these days.

One big bummer is that they are only including one key FOB. $80K vehicle with one key FOB? I know that seems to be the trend but then at least also provide a simple card key (like Tesla) for use with valets or when you want to go out on a "adventure" without having to take your key or phone.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My guess is they keep the FOB simple, basically to lock/unlock, alarm and allow you to turn on the car. Mostly likely, it will require their mobile app to do more complex functions, like most manufacturers are doing these days.

One big bummer is that they are only including one key FOB. $80K vehicle with one key FOB? I know that seems to be the trend but then at least also provide a simple card key (like Tesla) for use with valets or when you want to go out on a "adventure" without having to take your key or phone.
There is no need to "remote start" an EV. At most, you may want to "precondition" the cabin -- which can be done via a phone app.

I'll be disappointed if there's only one FOB. If they go that route, then they need to at least give us the option of buying a second/third as an accessory.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is no need to "remote start" an EV. At most, you may want to "precondition" the cabin -- which can be done via a phone app.

I'll be disappointed if there's only one FOB. If they go that route, then they need to at least give us the option of buying a second/third as an accessory.
Ah yes, I meant "precondition" like youre saying. Things like opening windows, turning on heat/cool, lights, summon, remote rock crawl. Can you imagine a feature where you stand outside your truck and remote control it from outside? The ultimate R/C vehicle! One can dream right?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only ONE key fob?! That's unheard of. I have never purchased a car with less than 2 keys. If just one, I bet they say the second key is your phone, which isn't cool.
Rivian: Please don't nickel and dime us by including only one key fob. We are going to pay a lot for the vehicle.

I do hope it will have more functionality such as window up and down, frunk open, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One FOB, now that is just stupid. 2 should be a mandatory thing. One for each driver in the household.
For you, maybe. Is my dog gonna drive it though? I don't need a second, aside from having one as a spare just sitting in a drawer for emergencies (which the app makes obsolete). I'm happy enough with one, and applaud the flexibility of choosing how many we actually need, rather than paying for expensive fobs that I don't need.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's the response I got from Rivian CS:

"The R1 does include one key fob, and you’ll have access to the vehicle through our app. No worries though - our vehicles are designed for adventure, so we’ll have additional options to operate the R1 wherever your journey leads and whatever activity you’re doing!"

When I asked what "additional options" are, they said they would share that closer to deliveries. Which I'm beginning to suspect means they just don't know or its not finalized yet. If they aren't ready with a small detail like the fob, what else isn't ready?

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
278 Posts
For you, maybe. Is my dog gonna drive it though? I don't need a second, aside from having one as a spare just sitting in a drawer for emergencies (which the app makes obsolete). I'm happy enough with one, and applaud the flexibility of choosing how many we actually need, rather than paying for expensive fobs that I don't need.
With 3 drivers in my house and the average American household has 3.9 drivers in it. Having a single physical key, for now, seems odd. I have never had a phone based key so not sure how that will be or behave.

As an aside, "fob" and "FOB" are spelled exactly the same. It's the use of all-caps that's goofy.
The use of all-caps doesn't have the autocorrect nightmare, sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you can unlock by using the bluetooth or NFC feature on the phone, that's an acceptable alternative to having a fob. I would worry about an adventure vehicle having to be unlocked using a cell signal from the app (like Tesla currently does). What happens if you're in a no-cell signal area (like in the middle of the mountains) and you can't open the vehicle because of no cell signal?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If you can unlock by using the bluetooth of NFC feature on the phone, that's an acceptable alternative to having a fob. I would worry about an adventure vehicle having to be unlocked using a cell signal from the app (like Tesla currently does). What happens if you're in a no-cell signal area (like in the middle of the mountains) and you can't open the vehicle because of no cell signal?
I thought the Model 3/Y used bluetooth when using a phone as a key?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts