Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To any fellow R1T or R1S buyers that enjoy adventures that include getting wet (surfers, kayakers, etc.)...
Does anybody know how entry keying / access will work? I have one old school vehicle that does not have a chipped key, and one with keyless entry. In both cases I can lock either vehicle and not be concerned with shorting out a chipped key. I know that I can use waterproof bags, but it would be nice to not have to worry about that. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jaguar has a type of rubber band that when waved around the back will unlock the car. First intrduced with the F-Pace. Easy search to see if it is still around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really liked the Tesla key card, really easy never took it out of my wallet. Except for service. When paired to cell phone made it really easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great input Electrictrucking and Jayazusa thank you. Not a big deal, but one of those details that would add to the adventure experience. Going to be interesting to see what Rivian has in mind.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A key fob goes into my pocket in the morning and stays there thru-out the day. I have a big phone and do not always carry it with me when I am running about the house doing things.
But then again if it has to be a phone to unlock the doors and start the vehicle, I am more likely to not drive away without my phone. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If my phone is an option, I will probably use it on my kayak excursions, since I already carry it to operate my music and camera. Fob all other adventures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will probably use a combo of both. But, being a scuba diver, it's nice to have an oldschool tradition key. Something you don't have to worry about getting wet and surviving a dive. Shore diving with key fobs is a pain (carrying a drybox and worrying the whole dive if this is the time it won't stay dry). Maybe Rivian will make their fob REALLY waterproof? Say, rated to 150 feet+?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess we will know soon. Trusting the Rivian designers / engineers are as creative as their customers. Phone, truly waterproof fob, and Alexa access code are all great solutions. I've gotten used to my old school key zipped in my bathing suit pocket. Not very tech, but 100% waterproof and reliable. Ready to move into the 21st century...

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
95 Posts
The fob they are providing looks perfect. While I get the move towards phone based keys, I would need to understand how this works at parking garages (living outside NYC)

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
239 Posts
Hopefully they will work like Tesla where the doors detect the fob and automatically unlock. If that’s the case, I’ll carry the fob. Much easier than gettin my phone out, opening the app, and selecting an unlock button.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hopefully they will work like Tesla where the doors detect the fob and automatically unlock. If that’s the case, I’ll carry the fob. Much easier than gettin my phone out, opening the app, and selecting an unlock button.
Agree 500%!
Not just Tesla, most newer vehicles are going this route with the fob. My 2013 Dodge Dart had this. And that was a whole lot cheaper! Current Volvo has it, but that is not cheap.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I will probably use a combo of both. But, being a scuba diver, it's nice to have an oldschool tradition key. Something you don't have to worry about getting wet and surviving a dive. Shore diving with key fobs is a pain (carrying a drybox and worrying the whole dive if this is the time it won't stay dry). Maybe Rivian will make their fob REALLY waterproof? Say, rated to 150 feet+?
Yeah I'm curious to see how waterproof it actually is. I'm not going to be the first one to find that out haha.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
239 Posts
Reactions: Fpartida
1 - 20 of 38 Posts