Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Rivian going to get the key thing right? My favorite feature of my Tesla is that I never need any kind of key. Just walk up (because I have my phone in my pocket), get in, drive, get out, walk away.

I don't need to carry anything I am not already carrying. I don't need to do anything to unlock/turn on/turn off/lock the car, it just works.

·
Registered
504 Posts
They did confirm "phone as key" via BT so that's covered..

I bought ($150) the fob for my Model Y because the "phone as key" was just not as reliable as the Fob is. I love the Tesla key card, super inexpensive to replace at $35 for two and no need for dealer programming vs. $400+ for each BMW fob plus $$ for dealer to program your car to accept that new fob..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I bought ($150) the fob for my Model Y because the "phone as key" was just not as reliable as the Fob is. I love the Tesla key card, super inexpensive to replace at $35 for two and no need for dealer programming vs. $400+ for each BMW fob plus $$ for dealer to program your car to accept that new fob..
my understanding is that you can use the app as a key, but you have to go into the app to unlock the door.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah, like NY_Rob said, all the publicly-available information shows that there are four different types of keys:
  1. Key fob
  2. Key card
  3. Key wristband
  4. Phone key
I personally witnessed the Key card and Phone key in my First Mile drive. I have no doubt that the Key fob and Key wristband are real.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, like NY_Rob said, all the publicly-available information shows that there are four different types of keys:
  1. Key fob
  2. Key card
  3. Key wristband
  4. Phone key
I personally witnessed the Key card and Phone key in my First Mile drive. I have no doubt that the Key fob and Key wristband are real.
So, can you leave the valet card in the truck or does the truck always stay unlocked?

·
Banned
473 Posts

My Model S came with two key fobs. I use mine all the time and never once had a problem. It’s easy, it’s fast, and simple. I don’t always have my phone with me, and sometimes the phone isn’t working. Key fob always works.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
I'm curious if we will be able to program the Tesla key cards or other RFID devices on the Rivian. I currently have an RFID ring I use for my Tesla and it would be nice to adapt it to the Rivian (or even better yet, be able to use my Apple Watch as a key card).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is no one concerned about the thieves that have the "range extender" radios to steal your car or open it when you aren't there? The way it works is one thief has a radio next to your car (that is just used to extend the key/security radio range of your car), the other thief is rebroadcasting the signal that comes from that first thief's radio. The effect of this is your key could think it's right next to your car. So thieves do this to steal your car when you aren't there. Tesla added an option because this did happen a few times where you could turn off the "unlock and start when you walk up mode" and instead you have to press a button on the keyfob. It's slightly less convenient but much more secure.

I don't like the unlock when you just walkup for this reason.

·
Registered
504 Posts
^ Tesla added "PIN to Start" option just in case someone hijacks your RFID codes. Okay, so they can still get in your car... but they can't start it, shift it, etc.... They (Tesla) also added a "PIN to open" option for the glovebox as well.

Rivian could easily implement "PIN to start" option as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.