Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Kia EV9 Photos Leaked

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  chaz 
#1 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Photos of the Kia EV9 have leaked online. Looks like it's going to be a pretty good looking SUV.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire

See less See more
#8 ·
This wasn't a

This wasn't a leak, this was press preview widely anticipated as 'preview middle of month' for past few weeks.The official global dubut is scheduled for March 28th 2PM PDT

Google EV9, the design is already getting rave reviews and being praised for bringing the concept to production with minimal change and much refinements and with my R1S delivery estimate geting forever pushed back, I am going to be all over this. I agreed with many only bloggers and reviews, the design is refined and has pretty good futuristic look. If you are not into such look and more for old school outdoorsy offroad look then there isn't anything like R1S. Take out horizontal headlight and tailight off R1S, it's as old school boxy SUV as it can get. Plus R1S interior looks classier and upscale with leather stichings and wood trims.

And I believe R1S and EV9 will complete in different markets targetting different crowd but for someone like me who will never likely take it offroad and/or camp but prefers some what boxier looking SUV rather than coupe like SUV such as EQS SUV or Tesla Y and X, this is a perfect fit and more practical.

Only downside is the projected range. They are talking about like 290 mile range if you get the top of the line trim and MSRP is projected to be over $70k. I am locked into legacy pricing on R1S plus singed binding contract for EV credit. My configuraion is barely over $80k and that's for quad motor with over 320 miles range and who knows if we get offered dual motor with max battery at same price. that's going to blow the doors off of EV9 for not much more money in my case.

If Kia can manage to start the production in US and meet the battery sourcing requirement and you know they will have no problem scalling the production of this thing in no time, they are going to sell ton of these and might even convert few R1S reservation holders like me.

#6 ·
I would stay away from Kia for now, we have a EV6 GT-Line and finally had to take it in for service and the customer service is abysmal. No loaners, very few EV Techs that can look at the car, I was warned multiple times that a diagnostic fee might be charged at $170. It's been 2 days and I still don't know what the issue is with the car and no loaner/rental. Only after the work is deemed warranty eligible Kia America not the dealership will cover the cost of a rental at $30 a day which I'm not sure what will get me these days.

Not sure how much better Rivian is but thankfully my reservation isn't due till next year since I got the Ocean interior.

#10 ·
I would stay away from Kia for now, we have a EV6 GT-Line and finally had to take it in for service and the customer service is abysmal. No loaners, very few EV Techs that can look at the car, I was warned multiple times that a diagnostic fee might be charged at $170. It's been 2 days and I still don't know what the issue is with the car and no loaner/rental. Only after the work is deemed warranty eligible Kia America not the dealership will cover the cost of a rental at $30 a day which I'm not sure what will get me these days.

Not sure how much better Rivian is but thankfully my reservation isn't due till next year since I got the Ocean interior.
Interesting about their EV customer service. Read recently they and Hyundai are at the bottom for dealer service. Good they they are closer to the top on reliability.

#11 ·
I have a Telluride and it's no surprise to me to see that Kia dealers are ranked at the bottom in terms of service. Kia factory quality is high, so thankfully my interactions with the dealer have been minimal. Kia dealers are also not doing themselves any favors with their ridiculous "market adjustment" fees that add $10,000, and often even more, to the out-the-door price of a Telluride.

With respect to the EV9, it borrows quite a bit from the Telluride in terms of styling; not a bad thing in my view. Hopefully, the EV9 is also similar to the Telluride in terms of build quality. I don't think that Kia has revealed tow capacity, but I believe that I read it was projected to in the range of 3,500 lbs. That's pretty low for a vehicle in the mid-sized SUV class, and well below the R1S. It's unclear what the battery size of the EV9 is, but speculation has been it will be the same 77.4 kWh pack as in the EV6. That's enough for over 300 miles in the smaller EV6, but likely to be quite a bit less in the EV9. If Kia does manage to get close to 300 miles out of the EV9, I'd have to guess that they were able to somehow boost battery capacity. Both models are said to have 800v charging architecture, a good thing even if there are few chargers to support that.

If Kia dealers add the same extortionate market adjustment fees as is common on the Telluride, the vehicle becomes far less appealing. The upper end of the projected price range for the EV9 is $70,000, before applying what seems to have become a Kia hallmark, the "market adjustment fee." For the EV9, I suspect that the fee will turn out to be substantially more than the $10k seen at most Kia dealers on in-demand vehicles like the Telluride. That would push the EV9 reasonably close to the R1S in terms of price, if not performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.