Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this advertised for Tacoma's which are about the same size as Rivians. Says 6' bed needed with tailgate down so it should work on the Rivian.

Add solar panels, 10kWh battery, all electric heat/AC/hot water and ability to plug into the truck to draw power or charge it via the solar panels.

· Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
261 Posts
Dimensions look like it would work. Would have to space it back from the cab wall due to the spoiler, but still would be within the length of the tailgate. Looks like aluminum honeycomb sandwich walls to help maximize space, and fairly lightweight overall. Pretty cool, but also pretty pricey.

· Registered
527 Posts
Saw this advertised for Tacoma's which are about the same size as Rivians. Says 6' bed needed with tailgate down so it should work on the Rivian.

Add solar panels, 10kWh battery, all electric heat/AC/hot water and ability to plug into the truck to draw power or charge it via the solar panels.

Truck topped are very common up here. My buddy has a kimbo on his Taco. It is a very nice camper, but very minimalist. May be a different model, I’m pretty sure his has propane heat and how water (which goes to an outside shower). I remember him saying is was ~$40k, The entire roof is covered in solar and it is only 500w, which is good so you wouldn’t have to draw from the truck much. But to charge it even under the best conditions could only get 5-7 miles a day to charge the rivian.

for a topper my fist concern is has anyone figured out anchor point for the R1T? Probably wouldn’t be too complex given there is a frame under there.

· Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Truck topped are very common up here. My buddy has a kimbo on his Taco. It is a very nice camper, but very minimalist. May be a different model, I’m pretty sure his has propane heat and how water (which goes to an outside shower). I remember him saying is was ~$40k, The entire roof is covered in solar and it is only 500w, which is good so you wouldn’t have to draw from the truck much. But to charge it even under the best conditions could only get 5-7 miles a day to charge the rivian. for a topper my fist concern is has anyone figured out anchor point for the R1T? Probably wouldn’t be too complex given there is a frame under there.
Kimbo said their issue would the 2" lip and the spoiler, they want a flush cab/back window but it looks like Tacoma is similar. I sent them pic of R1T bed. They did not mention anchor points as an issue but they may be assuming standard anchors as one would see on a Tacoma.

The key is that the back pickup bed wall/cab needs to be flush and we think with the storage area behind the seat may intrude the truck bed. We can not find picture as such but that is the only issue we need 18 inches the Kimbo is forward of the back axle.
Kimbo has an internal hot shower setup (must have for me fishing in hot weather).

Might switch back to R1T if the Kimbo (or Loki) small camper will fit and can be totally electrified. Heat/AC/Hot water electric. Microwave only for cooking. Fridge/Freezer. Integrate a Jackery.com system. Roof could handle about 2kW of solar panels using the angled roof parts. Ability to plug into the Rivian's AC outlet for more power. Ability to plug into Rivian charge port. Adding 20 miles to Rivian while on three day fishing trip is valuable.

EV Rivian, SolarPV Kimbo, Evoy/Hysucat 28 Cabin RIB. Zero emissions driving, living and fishing.

· Registered
527 Posts
Kimbo said their issue would the 2" lip and the spoiler, they want a flush cab/back window but it looks like Tacoma is similar. I sent them pic of R1T bed. They did not mention anchor points as an issue but they may be assuming standard anchors as one would see on a Tacoma.

Kimbo has an internal hot shower setup (must have for me fishing in hot weather).

Might switch back to R1T if the Kimbo (or Loki) small camper will fit and can be totally electrified. Heat/AC/Hot water electric. Microwave only for cooking. Fridge/Freezer. Integrate a Jackery.com system. Roof could handle about 2kW of solar panels using the angled roof parts. Ability to plug into the Rivian's AC outlet for more power. Ability to plug into Rivian charge port. Adding 20 miles to Rivian while on three day fishing trip is valuable.

EV Rivian, SolarPV Kimbo, Evoy/Hysucat 28 Cabin RIB. Zero emissions driving, living and fishing.
For hot water, electric uses a ton of electricity. We tried electric but would use 1kwh with 5-7 min use. Even with 1kw of solar and 3kwh of battery solar can’t keep up. I can’t recommend on demand propane enough.

I’ve had this unit for years, use it as our camp set up. This past summer my kids built out a food truck and used it at an industrial capacity for their hand wash, even at that volume we used <2 of the small 1lb green tanks all summer.
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Wire Hose

· Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
For hot water, electric uses a ton of electricity.
I might be a be a bit more modest in my hot water demands. I use the Geyser System on the boat. Plugs into the 12V aux plugs. Let it sit for 45 minutes and with the low flow and sponge attachment, a nice warm "shower' about 1 kWh used. Totally get the practicality of the propane and low emissions but still want to make as zero emissions as I can, knowing it will cost money and efficiency, in some applications. Plus I keep in moderate climes so the heat and AC demands should be low.

It looks like the spare compartment could hold about 10kWh of batteries with 2kW solar array on the roof. Rigged for fast charging, so charge car and camper and boat (9.9 Torqueedo for trolling) at the EA and then have the solar for topping off camper and car and even the boat. Get a Jackery system for each, car, camper and boat. Can leave them on the dock or beach charging, come back and supercharge via the Jackery battery packs.

That's the goal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts