Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a trip planned from Bend Oregon to Truckee California.

ABRP sends me all the way down 97 and quotes me almost 10 hours. My usual route is 97 - 139 to Reno - 80 to Truckee.

The issue is there are no CCS fast chargers chargers between Klamath falls and Reno. Its 254 miles so it should be doable. Anybody make that drive yet?

I have taken my Tesla Model Y LR that route but there is a nice fast charger in Susanville. I drive way to fast in the MY so I definitely need that charger. I know....If i drove slower i may be able to skip it and save time.

Anyhow. Wondering if anybody has made the drive (way back may be harder because elevation gain).

· Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
110 Posts
Unfortunately I think I'd go the safe route. You probably wouldn't end up behind by much time anyway, because you'd have to drive pretty reserved to make that 254 mile stretch, not to mention waiting for a 100% charge as well.

· Registered
582 Posts
I think you could do it if you're disciplined. There are two parameters that are not in your favor: (1) elevation changes and (2) cabin heating. One parameter is in your favor, and that is that you will not be tempted to do freeway speeds the whole way, or be able to achieve them.

My take is: if you can drive conservatively while keeping the cabin at 65 degrees you'll make it, if you charge to 100% in KF.

· Registered
93 Posts
@Rhino Skin Solutions, this is somewhat off topic, but when making that drive you might stop off in Crescent and check out the progress on the RAN charger there. I stopped by this summer and no progress had been made since the concrete pad was poured. Would certainly reduce the charge time in KF if we could fast charge in Crescent.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
110 Posts
Looks like there are J1772 ChargePoint spots and Tesla destination spots available at the Supercharger site in Susanville. If you're into that sort of thing. If you feel like you're not going to make it to the next DCFC you could park up there for a couple hours and have a nice meal somewhere nearby.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts