Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law asked me how much it cost to charge my Rivian at home, so I looked up my last few charges on the Rivian app. All of them were in the 90-95 kWk range according to the app. My charges usually start around 15-20%, and I’ve got it set at the recommended 70% limit. Given a 135 kWh pack, 20-70% should be 67.5 kWh. I realize that there is some inefficiency in charging, but that seems really excessive.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Usable capacity (i.e., 100% when charging stops unless you limit it) is 125kWh
Expect ca 15% loss with L2, 25% loss with L1.
Assuming you're using L2, 90kWh vs 62.5kWh really does seem excessive. Are there consumers running in the truck while you charge?
Also, maybe the app is wrong. Do you have a way to measure kW or kWh at the outlet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usable capacity (i.e., 100% when charging stops unless you limit it) is 125kWh
Expect ca 15% loss with L2, 25% loss with L1.
Assuming you're using L2, 90kWh vs 62.5kWh really does seem excessive. Are there consumers running in the truck while you charge?
Also, maybe the app is wrong. Do you have a way to measure kW or kWh at the outlet?
I’ve got it set to limit at 70%. If I happen to walk by with my phone in my pocket, it will unlock and kick the A/C on, but not running anything constantly. I’m using the Rivian charger hard wired to a 60 amp circuit. No way to measure kW. I’m guessing that the app is inaccurate. It’s way off from what the truck says it’s actually used over the last few days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve got it set to limit at 70%. If I happen to walk by with my phone in my pocket, it will unlock and kick the A/C on, but not running anything constantly. I’m using the Rivian charger hard wired to a 60 amp circuit. No way to measure kW. I’m guessing that the app is inaccurate. It’s way off from what the truck says it’s actually used over the last few days.
I just checked my Electrify America app for the last session prior to getting my wall charger installed. 18-60% was 61 kWh.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was watching my Rivian charger's consumption also. Most everything looked normal but I had one night report at 528.9 kWh. My charger is an 11kW charger so this isn't even possible. I reached out to support and they pushed new firmware to my charger. Everything has looked normal since that happened - the largest that I have seen since the new firmware is 98.9, but that was after a big drive and prepping for a big drive the following day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts