Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else concerned about the potential wait for even being contacted by a guide? I was just chatting with Rivian asking a couple questions and asked if there was any way to know when I'd be contacted by my guide. She mentioned the same stuff I'd seen in their email so that was nothing new, but then I followed up and said that I'd seen somewhere else that it could be Thanksgiving before I get my Launch Edition. She confirmed that is true and it could be then before I'm even contacted by my guide, so could be Christmas before even getting my vehicle. At which point, the Max Pack is available just a month after that and I'd rather wait one more month and be the first to get that.

This seems a little crazy to me to that I don't even have a clue when my guide will reach out. I made my preorder in September of 2019 so I think I'm on the semi-early side, but just not having any idea is weird. Anyone else agree or have other feedback/thoughts?

·
Registered
554 Posts
You've waited this long. I know you're anxious, but take some deep breaths. It's going to be okay.

If you're on the early-end of LE deliveries, then your guide will contact you sooner. I'm not sure why people are freaking out over the mention of "Thanksgiving"; based on what we've always known, this was a safe assumption, already. Rivian says that LE deliveries will all occur in 2021... So the last delivery could be 12/31/2021. We know they probably need 4-6 weeks to finalize an order, arrange financing, logistics, production, etc... So 12/31/2021 minus six weeks is.... THANKSGIVING. Nothing new there. I actually laughed when I read the press release because my first thought was "typical Rivian -- make an announcement that actually doesn't tell us anything new."

If, for some reason, you're at the tail-end of LE deliveries and your guide doesn't contact you "soon enough" for your tastes, then you can choose to change to a Max Pack and delay your delivery further -- or cancel outright -- or accept your LE delivery.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No, not concerned. Deliveries START in June, so I've been thinking that ramping-up production and deliveries will take some time (particularly with working out 1st model launch, and considering the impacts COVID still have on everyone), and so I have been planning on a Fall'ish delivery window (based on pre-ordering back in the Fall of 2019). I just hope my Silverado makes it. LOL.

Also, I don't think running out the clock on 2021 deliveries, then changing your mind and ditching your reservation for the LE in favor of the MAX-PACK is going to mean that you immediately jump the line and receive one of the first MAX-PACK vehicles? Where did you hear that?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone else concerned about the potential wait for even being contacted by a guide? I was just chatting with Rivian asking a couple questions and asked if there was any way to know when I'd be contacted by my guide. She mentioned the same stuff I'd seen in their email so that was nothing new, but then I followed up and said that I'd seen somewhere else that it could be Thanksgiving before I get my Launch Edition. She confirmed that is true and it could be then before I'm even contacted by my guide, so could be Christmas before even getting my vehicle. At which point, the Max Pack is available just a month after that and I'd rather wait one more month and be the first to get that.

This seems a little crazy to me to that I don't even have a clue when my guide will reach out. I made my preorder in September of 2019 so I think I'm on the semi-early side, but just not having any idea is weird. Anyone else agree or have other feedback/thoughts?
alright .. so here are my 2cents .. I am actually a bit relieved of having to wait for my 2 R1T's Max Pack with a Jan 2022
delivery start because I am sure Rivian will need some time between LE deliveries and Jan 2022 deliveries to iron out a few kinks with LE R1Ts and R1S's. Will it suck that folks will be driving a Rivian before me? Sure! But in the long run, I am getting the truck for my needs/wants vs LE compromise just because I want a Rivian sooner. Hang in there, we all will get our Rivian's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
could be Christmas before even getting my vehicle. At which point, the Max Pack is available just a month after that and I'd rather wait one more month and be the first to get that.
If you're far enough down the pre-order list to not receive a contact about a LE until Thanksgiving, you are not going to be at the beginning of the line if you switch to a Max Pack. If your order date puts you at the tail end of the launch run, I'd guess the earliest that date would get you a Max Pack would be mid-2022. Not when deliveries start in January.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
307 Posts
If you're far enough down the pre-order list to not receive a contact about a LE until Thanksgiving, you are not going to be at the beginning of the line if you switch to a Max Pack. If your order date puts you at the tail end of the launch run, I'd guess the earliest that date would get you a Max Pack would be mid-2022. Not when deliveries start in January.
It if he reserved in Sept 2019, the. He shouldn’t be that far down the list. My reservation date was also Sept 2019, and I’m anticipating guide contact sometime late summer or early fall. Only guessing of course...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have an even earlier pre-order, May 2019, but did not select an LE. I do however expect to be very early in 2022, if not I will just cancel my order. I agree this is somewhat crazy to not have a more clear picture.

GM has indicated they will contact Hummer reservation holders, of which I am one, 6 months ahead of delivery to finalize the order.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have an even earlier pre-order, May 2019, but did not select an LE. I do however expect to be very early in 2022, if not I will just cancel my order. I agree this is somewhat crazy to not have a more clear picture.
Does anyone have a clear idea of what the conversion rate will be? It may not be possible to forecast your specific delivery timeline, this far in advance, because it's so heavily dependent on the people in front of you and whether they cancel or finalize their order, and what configuration they choose.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Does anyone have a clear idea of what the conversion rate will be? It may not be possible to forecast your specific delivery timeline, this far in advance, because it's so heavily dependent on the people in front of you and whether they cancel or finalize their order, and what configuration they choose.
Even with cancellations, Rivian should be able to provide a "worst case", based on the assumption they will deliver every reserved pre-order. It is also interesting to me that they did not even offer a wait list for the LE versions, in the case that some get cancelled. GM did this with the Hummer Edition 1, meaning they have a firm number they are going to build in the first year, regardless of who ends up cancelling.

What happens when some pre-order LEs either get canceled or get changed to wait on bigger batteries or roof options? Or someone cannot end up getting financing? Does that mean the non-LE versions will be delivered sooner? If so, that would be great for people like me.

For me, my reservation number is 10137, so they know exactly where I am in line. They also know how many LE reservations are ahead of me (the grand total including those with a later reservation number than me) and how many non-LE reservations are ahead of me. From that data, they should be able to provide me a delivery slot within a month or two. Today I have the same info, starting in Jan 22, as someone who is 50K or 100K on the list.

It is also possible that this summer a tornado could come through Normal, Ill and blow the roof off the factory and disrupt everything. I would certainly not fault Rivian if some unforeseen disaster like that happened, and then caused them to miss the date.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate all the replies. I really just wish a clearer picture was presented. Even with what they gave, it's still a complete toss up as I don't know where I fall in order, we don't know all their service center area (we can guess) and don't know everyone's final configuration. Oh well - it will be awesome once it's here, but I just want more clarity.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Agree 100%. I have been waiting for 18 months and thought I had a shot at a June or July delivery. If it’s going to be November or December, let me know now and tell me if I can change to the bigger battery pack and take delivery in January. My guess is we will possibly get screwed on that too since others signed up for the bigger battery sooner. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Think that thru. if you are not getting contacted until after Thanksgiving it may mean you are not at the 'front' of the groups they are working to fulfill. If you then switch to the group for Max pack, you would be at the end of the 'pack' there too. So, you would be waiting that much longer. Hopefully that makes sense. :)

·
Super Moderator
307 Posts
Agree 100%. I have been waiting for 18 months and thought I had a shot at a June or July delivery. If it’s going to be November or December, let me know now and tell me if I can change to the bigger battery pack and take delivery in January. My guess is we will possibly get screwed on that too since others signed up for the bigger battery sooner. Very disappointing.
My guess would be that if you changed your config to a non-LE, your original reservation position would determine your position in that delivery queue, not the date you switched. Just speculation on my part, but they seem to have alluded to this is statements where they indicate you won’t “lose your place in line”.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Think that thru. if you are not getting contacted until after Thanksgiving it may mean you are not at the 'front' of the groups they are working to fulfill. If you then switch to the group for Max pack, you would be at the end of the 'pack' there too. So, you would be waiting that much longer. Hopefully that makes sense. :)
Not necessarily. If you have an LE delivery then you're near the front of the pack. If you switch to a non-LE config then the only people in front of you are probably other buyers who could have gone with an LE but didn't.

·
Registered
153 Posts
As I have mentioned in other threads, having an LE reservation has nothing to do with where you would be in the 'pack' order for non-LEs. I reserved in late 2020 but I managed to snag an LE. Anyone who reserved BEFORE they opened LE reservations officially in their configurator was eligible to snag one, and given they were limited, not everyone that wanted one got one, so again, LE or not LE has nothing to do with where you are in position if you swap out of an LE. I don't think you have to read too hard between Rivian's lines to understand that your reservation date is the most important factor in where you fall in any of the lines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not necessarily. If you have an LE delivery then you're near the front of the pack. If you switch to a non-LE config then the only people in front of you are probably other buyers who could have gone with an LE but didn't.
Agreed. Personally I'm near the end of the R1S LE line. My plan is to wait until I am contacted by a guide and talk through the options through with them. If, after talking with them, I decide to switch I hope the guide would help me make that switch and help me get the best place in line.

·
Super Moderator
307 Posts
I don't think you have to read too hard between Rivian's lines to understand that your reservation date is the most important factor in where you fall in any of the lines.
Lines is the operative word here. I think a lot of people look at this as one long line. It’s multiple lines based on LE vs. non-LE, R1T vs. R1S, location and config. Your order number / order date determines your place in the line that matches those other factors. If you change your selections, you switch lines and get behind the guy with an earlier order number/date and in front of the guy with a later one in that line. Rivian will decide which lines are moving and at what pace, and other than knowing that LE’s will all ship before non-LE’s and R1T will start shipping 2 months ahead of R1S, we have no indication of which locations or config will get priority. Our delivery date will be determined more by those decisions that Rivian is making than our order number/date.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's a fair certainty that the list for non-LE is longer than the LE list. It's also likely that production will ramp up in 2022. However, trying to predict where you'll be slotted in for 2022 delivery if you back out of the LE is nearly impossible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually, I expressed my concerns this week in a chat with Rivian. I have been a reservation holder since April of 2019 and my current lease is ending next week. I am lucky that I live in a household with more than one vehicle but, we can not last multiple months with just one car. Originally, I was going to use another expiring lease to get our Rivian but now I am getting very uncomfortable if I don't have at least an idea of my delivery date in June.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Actually, I expressed my concerns this week in a chat with Rivian. I have been a reservation holder since April of 2019 and my current lease is ending next week. I am lucky that I live in a household with more than one vehicle but, we can not last multiple months with just one car. Originally, I was going to use another expiring lease to get our Rivian but now I am getting very uncomfortable if I don't have at least an idea of my delivery date in June.
I can make a suggestion. There are some really good deals out there on some new cars with factory rebates and discounts. You could pick one up to use in the interim and just sell it when you get the Rivian.

An example, I found a new 2020 Malibu a couple of weeks ago that was 6K off sticker. If you run that through KBB the trade in value is worth more than we paid for it with 10K on the odometer. If you find a deal like that, you would probably be able to have a car for 6 months put 5 or 10K on it and sell it for almost what you paid for it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts