Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can make a suggestion. There are some really good deals out there on some new cars with factory rebates and discounts. You could pick one up to use in the interim and just sell it when you get the Rivian.

An example, I found a new 2020 Malibu a couple of weeks ago that was 6K off sticker. If you run that through KBB the trade in value is worth more than we paid for it with 10K on the odometer. If you find a deal like that, you would probably be able to have a car for 6 months put 5 or 10K on it and sell it for almost what you paid for it.
Be careful. If the prevailing “deal” is for $X then resale will almost certainly adjust to be LESS THAN $X.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Actually, I expressed my concerns this week in a chat with Rivian. I have been a reservation holder since April of 2019 and my current lease is ending next week. I am lucky that I live in a household with more than one vehicle but, we can not last multiple months with just one car. Originally, I was going to use another expiring lease to get our Rivian but now I am getting very uncomfortable if I don't have at least an idea of my delivery date in June.
You can inquire about a month-to-month extension on the current lease.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Actually, I expressed my concerns this week in a chat with Rivian. I have been a reservation holder since April of 2019 and my current lease is ending next week. I am lucky that I live in a household with more than one vehicle but, we can not last multiple months with just one car. Originally, I was going to use another expiring lease to get our Rivian but now I am getting very uncomfortable if I don't have at least an idea of my delivery date in June.
Welcome @FLR1TGuy.
Are you still open to getting other vehicles while waiting for the Rivian or even as another option?
Have you tried reaching out to Rivian's customer service team?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure why Rivian listed "color" as something that will affect delivery. Isn't Launch green the ONLY color available for LE additions? So the only things that should actually matter for delivery order is your 1. Preorder date and 2. location.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
307 Posts
Not sure why Rivian listed "color" as something that will affect delivery. Isn't Launch green the ONLY color available for LE additions? So the only things that should actually matter for delivery order is your 1. Preorder date and 2. location.
Other way around. Launch green is only available on LE models.

Reactions: ginztoy

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, LE edition was available in any color. I got mine in Launch Green though! 😀

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, LE edition was available in any color. I got mine in Launch Green though! 😀
Ohhh yes, now I remember. I was going between silver and a few other colors. But ended up choosing Launch Green. I'm assuming that's the first color they will go with. 12/8/2018 reservation date, launch green, plus in L.A county. I'll be posting pics of my R1T when it arrives!

·
Registered
157 Posts
They're doing production runs by color. If I had to guess, they'll run launch green early and then abandon it forever and move on to other colors

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
182 Posts
My only concern is whether the color will only factor once you talk with your guide or if it will determine when the guide calls you. Asking because the color I have configured so far is mostly likely not the color I will order. As many others here we must see the color in person first.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
307 Posts
My only concern is whether the color will only factor once you talk with your guide or if it will determine when the guide calls you. Asking because the color I have configured so far is mostly likely not the color I will order. As many others here we must see the color in person first.
Given that they’ve consistently emphasized your ability to change config up to the point of locking in, I’m thinking they will make calls based on reservation date and maybe geography. If they are watching the forums at all (and I cannot imagine that they aren’t), they will realize that lots of people are still on the fence about lots of things. Due to their lack of communication of important details!

Reactions: Sultanum

·
Registered
523 Posts
Have you considered extending the lease to tie you over until your R1T gets delivered? What are you currently driving?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Given that they’ve consistently emphasized your ability to change config up to the point of locking in, I’m thinking they will make calls based on reservation date and maybe geography.
My guess is that Rivian has a minimum target they need to hit in order to make a color/configuration viable, which would initiate a production run. Guides will make first contacts based on reservation date and proximity to service support. Once they have enough of a given combination locked in, that will be their first production run to initialize the beast. As they churn through the first combo, Guides will continue to enter data, and Rivian will adjust the production setup as needed.

While I completely understand and support the need for people to see colors in person, there may also be enough pre order holders (myself included) who have decided on their color choice— sight unseen— to kick off production. And if enough Guides get the feedback that people need to SEE the colors before committing, that will motivate Rivian to pick up the pace with their rollout of the in person test drives.

Rivian is currently hiring up teams of 20+ to roam the country full time for four months this summer for test drives— I count 9 teams scattered across the U.S. from their job listings site— hopefully the teams have all the colors with them for people to see!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am the most impatient person on the planet but with this I would rather them get it right than be disappointed with the product that is delivered. Imagine they start rushing things out only to have to service your vehicle soon after. They would make so many people unhappy and questioning their decision in that case. They would also get a ton of bad reviews and press.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am the most impatient person on the planet but with this I would rather them get it right than be disappointed with the product that is delivered. Imagine they start rushing things out only to have to service your vehicle soon after. They would make so many people unhappy and questioning their decision in that case. They would also get a ton of bad reviews and press.
I reserved mine 2 years ago, they do not appear to be in any rush so far ...

·
Registered
68 Posts
. . . we can not last multiple months with just one car. Originally, I was going to use another expiring lease to get our Rivian but now I am getting very uncomfortable if I don't have at least an idea of my delivery date in June.
Volvo offers a subscription leasing program that can have a very short minimum - I think it was something like 4 months. The monthly subscription rate is considerably more than a closed-end lease (roughly $700) but it includes insurance and maintenance and I believe has a low down payment.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Volvo offers a subscription leasing program that can have a very short minimum - I think it was something like 4 months. The monthly subscription rate is considerably more than a closed-end lease (roughly $700) but it includes insurance and maintenance and I believe has a low down payment.
Volvo requires 24 months on their Care by Volvo "subscription" (lease inclusive of insurance) program. They allow you to do a "pull-ahead" into another Care by Volvo "subscription" on a different VIN every few months, but you must re-sign a 24 month agreement. If you want to always be in a Volvo (they are nice cars) then it's fine... But the program really is designed to KEEP you in a Volvo. If you want a Volvo for just a few months and then want to move to another brand then the subscription will NOT help you do that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We're a 2-car family with 1 purchased outright and the other leased. That's been the case for nearly 20 years. Our leasing agent has always told us that extending the lease on a pro-rated month-to-month basis is not a problem.

·
Registered
554 Posts
We're a 2-car family with 1 purchased outright and the other leased. That's been the case for nearly 20 years. Our leasing agent has always told us that extending the lease on a pro-rated month-to-month basis is not a problem.
I'm curious if Volvo lets you do it. From what I've read on the forums, Volvo has been refusing to extend leases for many customers unless they've got a signed purchase order for another Volvo that is awaiting delivery (such as OSD).

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm curious if Volvo lets you do it. From what I've read on the forums, Volvo has been refusing to extend leases for many customers unless they've got a signed purchase order for another Volvo that is awaiting delivery (such as OSD).
I'm sure there are nuances between manufacturers/dealers. We've used the same broker for decades so I've never had to deal directly.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts