Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“For starters, the company is shipping cars. Polestar shipped about 13,600 units in the first quarter. It expects to ship 50,000 units in 2022 and 124,000 EVs in 2023. Rivian, for comparison, is expected to deliver about 25,000 vehicles in 2022 and 86,000 vehicles in 2023.”

I’m starting to think maybe I should buy a Polestar instead, it’s also an interesting company.

·
Registered
2 Posts
“For starters, the company is shipping cars. Polestar shipped about 13,600 units in the first quarter. It expects to ship 50,000 units in 2022 and 124,000 EVs in 2023. Rivian, for comparison, is expected to deliver about 25,000 vehicles in 2022 and 86,000 vehicles in 2023.”

I’m starting to think maybe I should buy a Polestar instead, it’s also an interesting company.

Wow I thought this was a Rivian Forum. Also How can you compare a All Purpose truck to a compact sedan? This is click bait? It like comparing a Ranger Rover to Honda CR-V, Polestar is an interesting product and wish them the best in helping us transition to EV's.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wow I thought this was a Rivian Forum. Also How can you compare a All Purpose truck to a compact sedan? This is click bait? It like comparing a Ranger Rover to Honda CR-V, Polestar is an interesting product and wish them the best in helping us transition to EV's.
you can buy an Apple, or you can buy an Orange.
Yeah I agree with the sentiment. I mean it's totally awesome if people want to buy an EV and don't have much preference over what type of vehicle, but even if so, you'll spend a heck of a lot of time in that vehicle and you should think about which form factor, performance specs, and price will suit you best.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
277 Posts
Polestar is related to Volvo, they have a lot of parts and experience in building cars. Rivian/Lucid are not in the same boat at all. If you want a mass produced vehicle lots of choices; kia, Hyundai, VW, Porsche, Audi, MB, BMW, Ford, Tesla.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s still a RIVIAN forum, no click bait, I’m just contrasting Polestar to Rivian and how they’re amazingly delivering 50,000 vehicles in 2022 compared to Rivian’s 25,000

·
Registered
568 Posts
Market doesn't think it's amazing - PSNY has dropped 28% since going public on the 24th. In the same period Rivian is very slightly up. Regardless, Polestar has been around and producing vehicles for many years now - they're not a new startup, and Geely is China's largest automobile manufacturer so the comparison is really quite wrong. Compare them to the F150 Lightning production if you must - that would be closer.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Rivian is currently on track to meet their 2022 production numbers. Maybe you think they should be making more vehicles, but they're making as many as they said they would, despite the supply chain challenges that all companies (not just vehicle manufacturers) are currently experiencing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drove the Polestar 2. It was fine. I received my R1T three weeks ago. It's amazing.

The Polestar is what you would expect to get from a legacy car company trying to capture some of Tesla's market. The range is more limited (230ish, if i recall). The interior was comparable to the Model 3. Swedish-clean aesthetic. It lacked a usable frunk. The rest was nice enough for the price.

The R1T is just all around better IMO. Range, storage, acceleration, design, finish. I think on almost all of those points, the Model 3 is a better option, too (range in particular) than the Polestar 2. I'm coming from a polestar-tuned Volvo wagon. I like Volvo interiors and I liked the Polestar 2. I just couldn't find anything compelling about it.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I drove the Polestar 2. It was fine. I received my R1T three weeks ago. It's amazing.

The Polestar is what you would expect to get from a legacy car company trying to capture some of Tesla's market. The range is more limited (230ish, if i recall). The interior was comparable to the Model 3. Swedish-clean aesthetic. It lacked a usable frunk. The rest was nice enough for the price.

The R1T is just all around better IMO. Range, storage, acceleration, design, finish. I think on almost all of those points, the Model 3 is a better option, too (range in particular) than the Polestar 2. I'm coming from a polestar-tuned Volvo wagon. I like Volvo interiors and I liked the Polestar 2. I just couldn't find anything compelling about it.
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your take on the Polestar 2, I had a feeling it would be about average. Did you just test drive it or actually owned one?
Would love to see pics of your Rivian :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your take on the Polestar 2, I had a feeling it would be about average. Did you just test drive it or actually owned one?
Would love to see pics of your Rivian :)
Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate that. I've been lurking anonymously for a while.

I only test drove the Polestar - same deal as the First Mile. We drove around for an hour or so. We were shopping for my wife's next car. We also checked out Volvo's EV offerings (C60 and XC60) but concluded the same thing. Adequate, but not compelling. Obviously, these are just my opinions. If someone loves a Polestar, I'm happy that they've found what makes them happy.

My R1T: Forest Green Adventure with BM on 21's. I haven't had a chance to take a good shot of the truck, so this is the best I can do. The dog thinks its the best thing ever. He's a smart dog. I agree with him.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

1 - 14 of 14 Posts