Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rivian was delivered 4 month ago, so my plate expired on the 21 of August. I have been in contact with my Rivian Gide almost daily but they cannot give me an answer when I will receive the license plates. It is a shame they have produced an great vehicle but cannot handle this simple task. I rented a SUV and Rivian agreed to pay for it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can you check directly with your DMV for status of the registration and plates? I haven't received my plates two months after truck delivery but when I check my state's DMV website I can see the truck has already been registered and assigned a plate number. I am in Nevada.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My Rivian was delivered 4 month ago, so my plate expired on the 21 of August. I have been in contact with my Rivian Gide almost daily but they cannot give me an answer when I will receive the license plates. It is a shame they have produced an great vehicle but cannot handle this simple task. I rented a SUV and Rivian agreed to pay for it.
This has been a common issue and there was an extensive post about it with some owners in Texas (like me). Here's what I posted back in July:

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm near Austin. I've had my truck for exactly 3 months. My IL paper tag expired on Monday, July 4. I contacted Rivian the week before that and was told that due to problems on their end, none of the title/registration paperwork had even been filed. I was presented with the option of registering on my own or a rental(!) while waiting for Rivian to do it. I opted to do it on my own but I explained that the local County tax office would require me to pay the sales tax on the truck and that I had already paid this to Rivian; Rivian said they'd issue a refund. They're overnighting paperwork (Certificate of Origin) and also prepared a new Purchase Agreement with the previously paid sales tax removed. I went by the County office today just to make sure that I wouldn't need anything else. They couldn't find the VIN in their system and told me that I would also need to get a State inspection performed; I did that but the guy at the shop that did it for me told me that his computer showed it had already been inspected (somewhere - maybe a Texas pre-delivery service center?) but gladly took my money and gave me another inspection receipt. The paperwork from Rivian is supposed to arrive in one day...except the reimbursement check, of course - that could take two weeks I was told. So I'll have to front the approximate $4000 (again) for the sales tax if I don't want to wait for the check to arrive first (and I don't want to wait).

I did order a personalized plate and it arrived over a month ago...the County issued it to me but told me I couldn't install it until my original registration was received (and of course that has never happened).

Incidentally, I questioned the legality of the IL paper plate when I first received it. Despite the fact that is said it was valid for 90 days, Texas law states that vehicles must be registered in the State within 30 days; I would say that the paper plate is technically good for 30 days only in Texas regardless of the fact that it may be good for 90 in Illinois.

In any case, it's a real mess!

- - - - - - - - -

Fast forward to the end of August - Rivian overnighted the Certificate of Origin to me and I was able to get my vehicle registered and my personalized plate put on the same day. I did have to pay the sales tax at the DMV and then had to wait for Rivian to send me a refund check; the check took almost a month to arrive.

One thing to note - some people who have gone this route have had to pay a hefty penalty for failing to register the vehicle in a timely manner; I managed to avoid this because Rivian dated the Certificate of Origin with the date they sent it (as opposed to the date I took delivery), so if you go this route, keep an eye on this. I have a feeling if I hadn't done this myself, I might still be in a rental two months later! Apparently Rivian is using a third party to process all of these registrations and that vendor has failed in many instances.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This has been a common issue and there was an extensive post about it with some owners in Texas (like me). Here's what I posted back in July:

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm near Austin. I've had my truck for exactly 3 months. My IL paper tag expired on Monday, July 4. I contacted Rivian the week before that and was told that due to problems on their end, none of the title/registration paperwork had even been filed. I was presented with the option of registering on my own or a rental(!) while waiting for Rivian to do it. I opted to do it on my own but I explained that the local County tax office would require me to pay the sales tax on the truck and that I had already paid this to Rivian; Rivian said they'd issue a refund. They're overnighting paperwork (Certificate of Origin) and also prepared a new Purchase Agreement with the previously paid sales tax removed. I went by the County office today just to make sure that I wouldn't need anything else. They couldn't find the VIN in their system and told me that I would also need to get a State inspection performed; I did that but the guy at the shop that did it for me told me that his computer showed it had already been inspected (somewhere - maybe a Texas pre-delivery service center?) but gladly took my money and gave me another inspection receipt. The paperwork from Rivian is supposed to arrive in one day...except the reimbursement check, of course - that could take two weeks I was told. So I'll have to front the approximate $4000 (again) for the sales tax if I don't want to wait for the check to arrive first (and I don't want to wait).

I did order a personalized plate and it arrived over a month ago...the County issued it to me but told me I couldn't install it until my original registration was received (and of course that has never happened).

Incidentally, I questioned the legality of the IL paper plate when I first received it. Despite the fact that is said it was valid for 90 days, Texas law states that vehicles must be registered in the State within 30 days; I would say that the paper plate is technically good for 30 days only in Texas regardless of the fact that it may be good for 90 in Illinois.

In any case, it's a real mess!

- - - - - - - - -

Fast forward to the end of August - Rivian overnighted the Certificate of Origin to me and I was able to get my vehicle registered and my personalized plate put on the same day. I did have to pay the sales tax at the DMV and then had to wait for Rivian to send me a refund check; the check took almost a month to arrive.

One thing to note - some people who have gone this route have had to pay a hefty penalty for failing to register the vehicle in a timely manner; I managed to avoid this because Rivian dated the Certificate of Origin with the date they sent it (as opposed to the date I took delivery), so if you go this route, keep an eye on this. I have a feeling if I hadn't done this myself, I might still be in a rental two months later! Apparently Rivian is using a third party to process all of these registrations and that vendor has failed in many instances.
Thanks, great information. It's a lot to through just to get the vehicle registered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts