Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
"Need" is a strong word.

I suspect almost everyone on this forum possesses the necessary skill with a screwdriver to do this. But I also suspect that most have just enough knowledge about electrical codes to be dangerous.

My suggestion is, get an electrician - an electrician will know the codes, know what permits are needed, and install it correctly. The last thing you want to do (I assume) is create an unnecessary elevated risk of fire by sizing the panel wrong, using the wrong breaker, using the wrong wire type, using the wrong conduit, not protecting the wire properly where it runs through walls, not supporting the conduit properly, etc. etc. I'm sure you can figure out most of this if you spend enough time researching, but even then how do you know you're not missing something so simple that all those internet videos neglect to even mention it?

Note a lot of places offer rebates for EV chargers and installations (my electric company paid me $600 to purchase and install an EV charger!), and these typically require installation by a licensed electrician.

The problem I had was finding an electrician who would do the install for a reasonable fee. My install was about 1 hour of work with about $75 of materials. Most places wanted to charge upwards of $600 for that. And while I value the knowledge and training of a licensed electrician, that expertise is not worth $500/hour.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Legally, no. They'd have to demonstrate that improper installation caused the fault.
I wish people would stop with the jailhouse lawyer arguments. If a licensed electrician did the work, then "they" wouldn't have a cause to deny your warranty claim or your fire insurance claim. If however you did the work yourself, and they denied the claim, then it's up to you to file a lawsuit. And how long do you think it would take for a competent lawyer to demonstrate on the stand that you don't know all the relevant code?

I am not a lawyer, nor are the "do-it-yourself they can't prove it" advocates. Just because something is "not illegal" doesn't mean it's "a good idea".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts