Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the hight of what the lift gate would be when open? I've had issues in the past with my Traverse's lift gate hitting the garage door when fully open. After adjusting the garage door to retract as far as possible that gave me another inch. However, when testing a Tesla Y its lift gate still just touched the garage door.

So I'm wondering, anyone have any idea or measurement of the hight of the R1S lift gate?

Yes I'm aware of the air suspension which can change the ride hight, therefore lets say in the lowest setting what would be the hight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just looked up the height of a 2022 Traverse which is shown to be 70.7" and which I can only presume is measured the same way that Rivian measures it, to the highest point with the tailgate closed. It has been reported that the ground clearance can be adjusted from 8" to 14.5" on the R1S meaning to me that there is a full 6.5" of adjustability. If we assume (perhaps a leap to do so) that the height including antenna, noted as 77.3" on the Rivian website, is when the suspension is set at its maximum height then at the lowest setting the top of the antenna would be at 70.8". In other words, with tailgates closed the Rivian is still starting out at tiny disadavantage when it comes to clearing your garage door. Of course this is all conjecture and ignores tire size, etc. but, it's not looking good and you certainly wouldn't want to forget to lower your vehicle when entering your garage if you had it raised. Quite a number of vehicles with lift gates offer a degree of adjustability, they can be set to not open to their maximum height. Photos that I've seen of the R1S with the lift gate open don't appear to show those kinds of struts but, one can always hope.

This is currently an issue with what my R1S will be replacing, a Jeep Grand Cherokee. When my suspension is set to the lowest driving height the tailgate is literally about 1/4" from hitting my garage door when it is opened all the way (on mine it can be adjusted however). As such, with my garage door almost 6" below the ceiling joists, I've gotten really good at backing in to the garage instead so that when the tailgate is fully opened it isn't under the garage door anymore and I gain that 6" of clearance that makes me happy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same concern. My wife's Outback's tailgate hits the garage door when it's open in our garage as well. I emailed customer support asking if the R1S tailgate will have an adjustable opening height option, like many current premium vehicles with power liftgates. They responded, but with a non-answer, so I guess they don't really know yet. That is my current hang-up on the R1S, I'll get really annoyed if I can basically never open the tailgate while it's in the garage, as that's something I'll be doing frequently. But overall the S is going to be a more useful vehicle than the T for our family.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JGard, yeah I think the suggesting about backing in would work for those times when required, however, there will be times when you just can't 'know' those times you'll need to open it. Unless of course you just park backwards every time.... this, no apply car play, and might not get EV tax credit... this is dropping the emotional love for this... may have to pass on this one. We'll see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know the hight of what the lift gate would be when open? I've had issues in the past with my Traverse's lift gate hitting the garage door when fully open. After adjusting the garage door to retract as far as possible that gave me another inch. However, when testing a Tesla Y its lift gate still just touched the garage door.

So I'm wondering, anyone have any idea or measurement of the hight of the R1S lift gate?

Yes I'm aware of the air suspension which can change the ride hight, therefore lets say in the lowest setting what would be the hight.
You probably know this already, but is very easy to adjust the electronic limit of how far the Model Y lift gate opens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the response from support:
All dimensions based on R1T/S with 20'' All-Terrain wheels
Overall Height (Sport Mode):

1787mm or 70.4″ (without antenna)
1856mm or 73.1″ (with antenna)
1863mm or 73.4″ (with crossbars)
Overall Height (Standard)
1852mm or 73″ (without antenna)
1921mm or 75.7″ (with antenna)
1928mm or 76″ (with crossbars)
Overall Height (Off-road Mode)
1918mm or 75.6″ (without antenna)
1987mm or 78.3″ (with antenna)
1994mm or 78.6″ (with crossbars)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The big question is when the lift gate is open, how much higher does it go? I'm thinking 4-6 inches above the antenna. Therefore, if on standard mode it seems like there would be a hight of the tailgate of ~80 - 86 inches when open. My garage door sits at a hight of 83" ... either come in with sport mode all the time or back in... I guess I'll have to wait till mid year to figure this one out, and won't have to worry till late next year as it seems the R1S is delayed (not surprised)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just looked up the height of a 2022 Traverse which is shown to be 70.7" and which I can only presume is measured the same way that Rivian measures it, to the highest point with the tailgate closed. It has been reported that the ground clearance can be adjusted from 8" to 14.5" on the R1S meaning to me that there is a full 6.5" of adjustability. If we assume (perhaps a leap to do so) that the height including antenna, noted as 77.3" on the Rivian website, is when the suspension is set at its maximum height then at the lowest setting the top of the antenna would be at 70.8". In other words, with tailgates closed the Rivian is still starting out at tiny disadavantage when it comes to clearing your garage door. Of course this is all conjecture and ignores tire size, etc. but, it's not looking good and you certainly wouldn't want to forget to lower your vehicle when entering your garage if you had it raised. Quite a number of vehicles with lift gates offer a degree of adjustability, they can be set to not open to their maximum height. Photos that I've seen of the R1S with the lift gate open don't appear to show those kinds of struts but, one can always hope.

This is currently an issue with what my R1S will be replacing, a Jeep Grand Cherokee. When my suspension is set to the lowest driving height the tailgate is literally about 1/4" from hitting my garage door when it is opened all the way (on mine it can be adjusted however). As such, with my garage door almost 6" below the ceiling joists, I've gotten really good at backing in to the garage instead so that when the tailgate is fully opened it isn't under the garage door anymore and I gain that 6" of clearance that makes me happy.
Interesting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts