Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Lift Gate Hight when open?

Tags
liftgate r1s
7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Fifedawg 
I just looked up the height of a 2022 Traverse which is shown to be 70.7" and which I can only presume is measured the same way that Rivian measures it, to the highest point with the tailgate closed. It has been reported that the ground clearance can be adjusted from 8" to 14.5" on the R1S meaning to me that there is a full 6.5" of adjustability. If we assume (perhaps a leap to do so) that the height including antenna, noted as 77.3" on the Rivian website, is when the suspension is set at its maximum height then at the lowest setting the top of the antenna would be at 70.8". In other words, with tailgates closed the Rivian is still starting out at tiny disadavantage when it comes to clearing your garage door. Of course this is all conjecture and ignores tire size, etc. but, it's not looking good and you certainly wouldn't want to forget to lower your vehicle when entering your garage if you had it raised. Quite a number of vehicles with lift gates offer a degree of adjustability, they can be set to not open to their maximum height. Photos that I've seen of the R1S with the lift gate open don't appear to show those kinds of struts but, one can always hope.

This is currently an issue with what my R1S will be replacing, a Jeep Grand Cherokee. When my suspension is set to the lowest driving height the tailgate is literally about 1/4" from hitting my garage door when it is opened all the way (on mine it can be adjusted however). As such, with my garage door almost 6" below the ceiling joists, I've gotten really good at backing in to the garage instead so that when the tailgate is fully opened it isn't under the garage door anymore and I gain that 6" of clearance that makes me happy.
Interesting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.