Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln is going to be releasing an electric SUV in 2022 and according to Reuters, it will use a custom electric chassis developed by Rivian.

Reuters also suggests that the Lincoln SUV will be a competitor to the R1S.

DETROIT (Reuters) - A battery-powered Lincoln SUV, due in mid-2022, will be the first Ford Motor Co (F.N) vehicle built on a custom electrified chassis that resembles a skateboard, which was developed by Ford-backed startup Rivian, according to several people familiar with the program.

The all-wheel-drive Lincoln SUV could compete against Rivian’s R1S, an electric sport utility vehicle slated to go into production in early 2021 that will be priced from $72,500. Both models will use Rivian’s so-called skateboard, a flexible platform that combines electric motors, batteries, controls and suspension.

On Tuesday, Ford declined to comment. Rivian did not respond to a request for comment.

The new Lincoln, which carries the internal program code U787, also could compete with premium offerings from others, including General Motors Co (GM.N), which plans to introduce at least two new electric SUVs by 2023, one for Cadillac and one that could revive the Hummer name, sources have said.

Ford invested $500 million in Rivian this year and plans to help it begin production next year at a former Mitsubishi plant in Normal, Illinois.

When Ford made the investment, it said it would use Rivian’s skateboard to develop its own electric vehicle, but did not disclose details.

It is not clear where Ford intends to build the Lincoln SUV, which will be among the first of several battery-powered utility vehicles planned for Ford’s premium brand in North America and China, according to supplier sources familiar with those programs who asked not to be identified.

Ford expects to introduce a compact Lincoln electric crossover in late 2021 or early 2022 and a mid-size companion in 2023, the sources said.

The U.S. auto industry plans to invest billions of dollars over the next few years to build all-electric pickups and SUVs, sectors of the market that have been among the most profitable, especially for Detroit-based automakers.

But analysts have questioned whether demand from consumers and commercial customers will come close to matching production.

Founded in 2009, Rivian has raised $1.9 billion from investors, including e-commerce giant Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O), which has ordered 100,000 electric delivery vehicles from Rivian. The first Amazon vans will be built in Normal and are to be delivered in 2021.

Ford aims to sell an electric F-series pickup in late 2021, sources have said. It also will offer the electric Mustang Mach E SUV next year as part of plans to invest $11.5 billion by 2022 electrifying its vehicles.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If they're using the same platform that means it'll likely be the same size as the R1S.

I wonder if it's going to be an electric Navigator, Aviator, or Nautilus. Or if it will be a brand new vehicle for Lincoln.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ford has officially confirmed that Rivian is partnering with Lincoln to make Lincoln's first ever electric vehicle.
  • Lincoln and Rivian will work together to develop an all-new fully electric vehicle, based on Rivian’s skateboard platform
  • Building on Lincoln’s product momentum, the all-electric vehicle will progress Lincoln’s Quiet Flight DNA and feature advanced and intuitive technologies
  • Introduction of this zero-emissions electric vehicle advances Lincoln’s electrification plan that includes the Aviator and Corsair Grand Touring plug-in hybrid vehicles
DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 29, 2020 – The Lincoln Motor Company announced today that it is working together with Rivian to develop an all-new electric vehicle previously announced as part of Ford Motor Company’s original investment in Rivian.

Lincoln’s first fully electric vehicle will join the Aviator and Corsair Grand Touring plug-in hybrid vehicles, further solidifying Lincoln’s commitment to electrification. The zero-emissions vehicle will feature connected and intuitive technologies designed to create an effortless experience for Lincoln clients.

“Working with Rivian marks a pivotal point for Lincoln as we move toward a future that includes fully electric vehicles,” said Joy Falotico, president, The Lincoln Motor Company. “This vehicle will take Quiet Flight to a new place – zero emissions, effortless performance and connected and intuitive technology. It’s going to be stunning.”

Lincoln has introduced four new SUVs including Corsair, Aviator and Navigator in the past three years. The all-new lineup has helped Lincoln’s global SUV sales grow 7 percent year-over-year and enabled the luxury automaker to deliver its best U.S. SUV sales in 16 years.

As Lincoln adds a new luxury electric vehicle to its lineup, production of the MKZ sedan will end this year in order for the Hermosillo Assembly Plant in Mexico to prepare for production of new Ford vehicles.

The Lincoln battery electric vehicle will be built off of Rivian’s flexible skateboard platform and is part of Ford Motor Company’s planned equity investment in Rivian. This all-new vehicle also is part of Ford’s previously announced investment of more than $11.5 billion into electrification, which includes the Mustang Mach-E and a fully electric version of the best-selling F-150 pickup.

“Our vehicle development partnership with Ford is an exciting opportunity to pair our technology with Lincoln’s vision for innovation and refinement. We are proud to collaborate on Lincoln’s first fully electric vehicle,” said Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why buy a Rivian over a Ford? I have a deposit on the R1T. Cool truck. Curious what the difference will be and why chose one over the other?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why buy a Rivian over a Ford? I have a deposit on the R1T. Cool truck. Curious what the difference will be and why chose one over the other?
One of the main differences is that Rivian is targeting themselves towards people that like to spend time in outdoors camping, overlanding, and off-roading. Hench the 4-motor configuration. Where as for Ford, the Mach-E is going to be mostly used for city driving (though they havea GT one for performance). We'll have to see what the Lincoln EV is going to look like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea, just a thought of why an electric F-150 over a R1T? Same drive train but different interior and electronics package, maybe. Would like to hear from Rivian on the differences.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yea, just a thought of why an electric F-150 over a R1T? Same drive train but different interior and electronics package, maybe. Would like to hear from Rivian on the differences.
I think the R1T would be a more luxurious vehicle inside than the F-150. As for the drivetrain, it's hard to say what the electric F-150 is going to use at this point.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Can't wait to see what the Lincoln EV pickup truck looks like once revealed:

"The official announcement only happened a couple of weeks ago and specific details are still relatively scarce. All we know is that this unnamed Lincoln EV will likely be unveiled in late 2021 or early 2022. Production will even take place at Rivian's Normal, Illinois production plant, instead of a Ford-owned factory. Its design and overall capabilities will reportedly be "stunning." Count us down as interested."

mark your calendars because its going to be a good one!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't wait to see what the Lincoln EV pickup truck looks like once revealed:

"The official announcement only happened a couple of weeks ago and specific details are still relatively scarce. All we know is that this unnamed Lincoln EV will likely be unveiled in late 2021 or early 2022. Production will even take place at Rivian's Normal, Illinois production plant, instead of a Ford-owned factory. Its design and overall capabilities will reportedly be "stunning." Count us down as interested."

mark your calendars because its going to be a good one!
Wow, Rivian is going to assemble this Lincoln EV in Ford? I wouldn't have expected that. I guess Rivian is more involved in this EV than I thought.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Inside EVs took a crack at creating the design for the Lincoln electric SUV, thoughts?

Lincoln Electric SUV Rendering

·
Registered
395 Posts
Car and Driver is reporting that the Lincoln electric SUV will be called the Mark E and tit will come out in 2022.

Lincoln's next big thing will be a powerful and posh electric SUV. Though it will be sold by the 102-year-old brand, it's slated to be built by Rivian, an 11-year-old startup. The name is still to be determined, but clearly there's heritage to be appropriated with Mark E.

Like Rivian's top-of-the-line R1S SUV, the most expensive Mark E likely will have an electric motor dedicated to each wheel with combined output exceeding 700 horsepower. We speculate that Lincoln will offer a less powerful dual-motor setup with longer range, too. The lithium-ion battery pack should be available in multiple capacities as well.

Think of this project as a sneak preview of automaker tie-ups and vehicle development in the future. As electric powertrains become a commodity, the temptation to share mechanical components across brands and companies will be even greater than it is today. Ford recently invested $500 million in Rivian, buying access to the startup's skateboard architecture in the process. We know that the platform supports air springs and hydraulic roll control similar to the system in the McLaren 720S.

The Mark E's competitive set will include the Audi e-tron, Cadillac Lyriq, Jaguar I-Pace, Tesla Model X, and of course the Rivian R1S. It should arrive in 2022, starting around $70,000.

Lincoln Mark E Rendering

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like it’s true. Bummer!

I saw it unfold on Twitter and I don't think I've seen news like that turn around so quickly. while it does suck that Rivian won't be working with Lincoln, it allows them to focus more on the Amazon vans and their own production for the R1S and R1T.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Alex Beau talked about the Rivian and Lincoln partnership and according to him it's a bad news for the EV market. He seems to think this delay along with the pandemic is going to give Tesla a bigger gap than the competition.

Unfortunately for Rivian, amidst current events, Lincoln has opted to not use Rivians platform for their EV, and have decided to develop something themselves. Car and driver actually shared two articles on the same day. One about the upcoming “mark e” which would be based on the rivian platform, and literally a few hours after that they posted about the ending of the rivian/lincoln partnership. In the original article, they mentioned that this lincoln EV was supposed to arrive around 2022, but now that is likely to get pushed out even further. Ford has also said that they will likely have to delay the launch of the Mach E amidst current events.

What I really DON’T understand is ditching the rivian platform to develop their own. Wouldn’t that just lengthen the whole process and add cost rather than reduce cost? I’m sure there was some amount of logic behind the decision, so I’m not going to armchair CEO here, but from my point of view, that’s a strange call. I could see postponing it, but dumping the plans entirely?

So if we compare Lincoln to Tesla, they can also focus on their bread and butter products during these times. But guess what? Their bread and butter is making the most popular EVs in the industry. So in the EV race they have a huge advantage here. While their competition is diverting funds away from developing their EVs, Tesla is pressing forward. I mean have you seen Tesla’s 2020 Q1 performance? They have a bigger vehicle backlog than ever. They just posted their third consecutive quarterly profit despite current events. Their share price jumped up 7% to about $860 in after hours trading and up more than 90% year to date. For reference, in the same span, the S&P500 is down 9%

And this is all despite Elon tweeting up a storm calling the stay at home orders “facist” , and ranting about loss of freedom. This is surprising as we know based on previous experience that his twitter has a pretty direct affect on Tesla share price. Remember when he had funding secured at $420? Classic Elon..

It’s time to stop using the phrase “tesla killer”. Using the phrase “tesla killer” to describe a company like Rivian is ridiculous. You are comparing a company that is yet to mass produce an electric vehicle of any kind, to the clear market leader which will soon have over 1 million units on the road. At this point, these companies are not “tesla killers”. At best they are “tesla ankle biters”.

With how often this phrase is tossed around by the media, if you didn’t know better, you would think tesla was in a sea of competitors fighting over market share tooth and nail. This is just completely not the case.

I badly want to see rivian succeed. I want to see Bollinger succeed, I want to see ford and lincoln bring an all electric truck and SUV to market. Competition breeds excellence and makes the EV market better for consumers. I hope that in the next few years, tremendous progress is made and there are a multitude of options available for EV buyers.

Overall, I’m actually really bummed to see this move by Ford, but I get it. Times are crazy right now, and the main goal is to stay afloat and ride it out without taking a huge loss. It sucks that everything going on has caused progress in the EV world to suffer massive delays and setbacks. At least Tesla’s Q1 success is some good news, and I think they have shown they can handle adversity with 2008, Model 3 Production difficulties, and now a global pandemic. So yeah at least we have that to be happy about. Doesn’t seem like Tesla is going away anytime soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts