Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am interested in buying an R1T . I have a company who has hired me to buy one for them. They will pay +$5-$10k over what you paid. If anyone is interested please let me know. I am launching a site where owners can sell their Launch Edition R1T for more than what they paid ( Please leave me your email if you'd like to be invited or would be interested in selling ) thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
The above is quite clearly in conflict with the pre-order agreement and something I suspect would result in Rivian trying to crack down on. If you are thinking of cancelling, do your peers a favor and consider transferring the account to people who actually want the truck, in particularly launch editions.

14. No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation
Rivian and its affiliates may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with the intent to resell the Vehicle or otherwise has been made in bad faith. Rivian may also cancel your order if a vehicle, product, feature, or option is discontinued after you place your order.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why is everyone so up in arms about people selling their reservations? That will not affect you in any way; you would still hold the same place in line that you do right now. Furthermore, I don't see how this is different from the initial reservation holder buying the vehicle, and immediately reselling it to a new person (whether pre- or post-delivery).

As for paragraph 14 above, not only is the language discretionary ("may" as opposed to "will" or "shall"), but it is also very vague and overbroad, as it says they may cancel any order that they "believe" was "made" with "intent to resell the Vehicle" or "otherwise made in bad faith." I would imagine one could simply argue that the reservation was not made with either intent - when it was made - the circumstances just changed, and they now choose to do it. I imagine Rivian will try to avoid unnecessary litigation over this, and allow people to transfer their reservations (either officially or simply by changing the name/email/address/CC information on the reservation).

We all want out trucks/SUV as soon as possible. If Rivian started offering people willing to pay more an opportunity to jump the line, that would create a problem. But as far as people taking over someone else's spot (therefore not causing any delay to the rest of us), I see no problem with that at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why is everyone so up in arms about people selling their reservations? That will not affect you in any way; you would still hold the same place in line that you do right now. Furthermore, I don't see how this is different from the initial reservation holder buying the vehicle, and immediately reselling it to a new person (whether pre- or post-delivery).

As for paragraph 14 above, not only is the language discretionary ("may" as opposed to "will" or "shall"), but it is also very vague and overbroad, as it says they may cancel any order that they "believe" was "made" with "intent to resell the Vehicle" or "otherwise made in bad faith." I would imagine one could simply argue that the reservation was not made with either intent - when it was made - the circumstances just changed, and they now choose to do it. I imagine Rivian will try to avoid unnecessary litigation over this, and allow people to transfer their reservations (either officially or simply by changing the name/email/address/CC information on the reservation).

We all want out trucks/SUV as soon as possible. If Rivian started offering people willing to pay more an opportunity to jump the line, that would create a problem. But as far as people taking over someone else's spot (therefore not causing any delay to the rest of us), I see no problem with that at all.
I'm actually not opposed to people selling them. However, I'm generally opposed to entities coming in and buying up every whatever it is they can get their hands on to force a shortage for individuals (for example, bot networks buying up concert tickets faster than individuals can).

I'd totally encourage someone (and have) to sell their reservation to another individual who has genuine interest in the vehicle, even at my own expense. I literally did that this week, I was talking with someone that was thinking of cancelling theirs, and was willing to pay a reasonable amount for it. They got another offer that was significantly higher than mine, and I happily encouraged them to go get take that offer.

My opinion here is also informed by paragraph 14. It's fairly clear (to me) that Rivian does not want to encourage scalping of the trucks, but has tacitly ignored/allowed transfers of reservations between individuals without supporting it (they will not proactively swap reservations for people). If it becomes obvious that people are selling or buying reservations (as OP seems to be doing) just to resell them, I expect Rivian to attempt to crack down on that. So I think there's a balance here that the community probably needs to make in self policing.

Now if you have a reservation, and go through with it, and then decide "hey this isn't for me," sell it to whomever. You took delivery with intent of receiving the vehicle, and then decided to move on. That's normal.

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Seriously?

Say you're in line at Starbucks. It's crazy busy and the lineup is super long. But you love Starbucks and just have to have one. The line slowly advances but then all of a sudden a guy walks up and offers anyone in line in front of you cash for their coffee. But the best part is, he's buying it for someone else.
Yes, you will still get your coffee at the same time as before this offer was made but wouldn't that burn your ass that this guy has the balls to pull such a stunt?

I'm sorry, but not even maybe is this OK. Get in line like the rest of us pal!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Seriously?

Say you're in line at Starbucks. It's crazy busy and the lineup is super long. But you love Starbucks and just have to have one. The line slowly advances but then all of a sudden a guy walks up and offers anyone in line in front of you cash for their coffee. Yes, you will still get your coffee at the same time as before this offer was made but wouldn't that burn your ass that this guy has the balls to pull such a stunt?

I'm sorry, but not even maybe is this OK. Get in line like the rest of us pal!
Yes, I would be absolutely ok with that, just like if he walked up and switched places with someone already in line. No skin off my back. Now, if he was able to buy a spot that wasn’t someone else’s, thereby pushing my position back, then we’d have an issue.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There's a difference between switching places and buying someone's place. Don't get me started about the after market concert ticket sales and how it screws the average music lover.
I'll agree to disagree with you. My vision of an ideal society just isn't in line with yours.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm actually not opposed to people selling them. However, I'm generally opposed to entities coming in and buying up every whatever it is they can get their hands on to force a shortage for individuals (for example, bot networks buying up concert tickets faster than individuals can).

I'd totally encourage someone (and have) to sell their reservation to another individual who has genuine interest in the vehicle, even at my own expense. I literally did that this week, I was talking with someone that was thinking of cancelling theirs, and was willing to pay a reasonable amount for it. They got another offer that was significantly higher than mine, and I happily encouraged them to go get take that offer.

My opinion here is also informed by paragraph 14. It's fairly clear (to me) that Rivian does not want to encourage scalping of the trucks, but has tacitly ignored/allowed transfers of reservations between individuals without supporting it (they will not proactively swap reservations for people). If it becomes obvious that people are selling or buying reservations (as OP seems to be doing) just to resell them, I expect Rivian to attempt to crack down on that. So I think there's a balance here that the community probably needs to make in self policing.

Now if you have a reservation, and go through with it, and then decide "hey this isn't for me," sell it to whomever. You took delivery with intent of receiving the vehicle, and then decided to move on. That's normal.
I have not considered the possibility that this would lead to someone(investors/bots/scalpers) buying all the LE reservations (of which there is a limited number) early on, thereby denying an opportunity for others to do it at the same price. This might be a very valid point, and likely what Rivian was intending to avoid through paragraph 14. Perhaps there might be a system where there is only a limited number of reservations per household.

An individual selling their own reservation though, doesn’t impact anyone else either in terms of the availability of the product or how soon they’ll get theirs. That was my only point.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There's a difference between switching places and buying someone's place. Don't get me started about the after market concert ticket sales and how it screws the average music lover.
I'll agree to disagree with you. My vision of an ideal society just isn't in line with yours.
Not sure how switching places is different from buying someone else’s place. It’s effectively the same thing, you’re just paying an additional premium for the better seat. Much like if you and I both have tickets to a show/concert, but yours is in a much better section that’s otherwise sold out, and I’m paying you extra for your ticket.
But fair enough, agree to disagree I suppose. Not sure what that has to do with an ideal society either.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How would you define scalping?

How would you define price gouging?

Do you feel there is a place for either in a developed, democratic, free market society?
“Scalping” I would define as reselling an asset you own at a cost adjusted for the market (typically an increased cost). Unless you have insider information or early access to an asset that others don’t have, I don’t see a problem with it.

“Price gouging” refers to someone taking advantage of spikes in demand to charge exorbitant prices for goods, services, or commodities.

I don’t see selling your place in line as either of those as it nether results in neither an increase in prices or limited access for others.

·
Registered
72 Posts
An individual selling their own reservation though, doesn’t impact anyone else either in terms of the availability of the product or how soon they’ll get theirs. That was my only point.
Yeah, my point is more that we clearly have someone who is trying to purchase several for what appears to be resell purposes. And that does in a way impact individuals who have had a long standing interest in Rivian as they're being forced to compete with a company on price, artificially inflating the transfer cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I am interested in buying an R1T . I have a company who has hired me to buy one for them. They will pay +$5-$10k over what you paid. If anyone is interested please let me know. I am launching a site where owners can sell their Launch Edition R1T for more than what they paid ( Please leave me your email if you'd like to be invited or would be interested in selling ) thanks
Hey Adam, I ordered an R1T and an R1S. It looks like they both will be arriving in March. I am willing to discuss possibly selling the truck. You can reach me at [email protected]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, my point is more that we clearly have someone who is trying to purchase several for what appears to be resell purposes. And that does in a way impact individuals who have had a long standing interest in Rivian as they're being forced to compete with a company on price, artificially inflating the transfer cost.
How so? I am not trying to be dense, I genuinely don’t understand how we, as reservation holders, have to compete with a company on price, or his would thus affect the transfer cost? The price Rivian charges you won’t change based on someone else buying another person’s reservation.

The only people who would be affected, are other people trying to buy an earlier reservation.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The only people who would be affected, are other people trying to buy an earlier reservation.
People that choose to keep their reservation and will now be stuck with their current delivery date, because only a fool would outright cancel their LE reservation at this point, will certainly be affected.

Certainly we could agree that when reservations were first accepted, being that the deposit was 100% refundable, thoughtful reservation holders would logically expect that their place in line would advance, even slightly, due to cancellations. Now none will be cancelled and people will probably start placing new orders with the intent to sell them, thus creating a secondary market.

·
Registered
119 Posts
People that choose to keep their reservation and will now be stuck with their current delivery date, because only a fool would outright cancel their LE reservation at this point, will certainly be affected.

Certainly we could agree that when reservations were first accepted, being that the deposit was 100% refundable, thoughtful reservation holders would logically expect that their place in line would advance, even slightly due to cancellations. Now none will be cancelled and people will probably start placing new orders with the intent to sell them.
I see where you’re coming from, but this is predicated on the assumption that someone ahead of you would cancel their reservation. Whether that’s a reasonable assumption or not, I suppose reasonable minds could differ.
Your position is also predicated on the assumption that the person selling their reservation would otherwise cancel, as opposed to follow through with the purchase and just resell the vehicle upon delivery. Whether that’s a reasonable assumption is also questionable.

My position is that as long as I maintain the position I reserved and my price is not affected by the purchasers before me (which would not be the case here), whatever people in front of me choose to do with what’s theirs (I.e., right to purchase a vehicle before me) is up to them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How so? I am not trying to be dense, I genuinely don’t understand how we, as reservation holders, have to compete with a company on price, or his would thus affect the transfer cost? The price Rivian charges you won’t change based on someone else buying another person’s reservation.

You're not being dense. It'd be individuals who do want to buy an earlier reservation. There are plenty of people who "got in line" months (years?) ago who for whatever reason didn't get a launch edition that rather than competing against one another (which seems fair), have to compete against an entity trying to buy up anything they can get. For people sitting pat, no impact, I agree. I don't mind the spirit of individuals who have had interest in the company purchasing reservations spots and keeping spots that would otherwise be cancelled from being wasted. I'm just not a fan of a company (or third party for a company) saying "sell us all the reservations for $10k". That's basically analogous to the earlier example I had in my mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm just a regular Joe that loves the truck looking to buy a reservation, so if someone is willing to sell their R1T reservation to me please let me know. I'll pay $5k for it. I've reached out to Rivian, and they said the transfer of the online account is ok.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.