Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We're looking to get our garage ready for an EV in the (hopefully) near future. I'm obviously pushing for an R1T!

Whatever we end up with, we're going to need a Level 2 charger at home and I'd love some opinions on Flo chargers.

Does anyone here have one? What's been your experience, so far?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
46 Posts
I got an Emporia off Amazon to install at my work, I have the Rivian charger at home, I actually like the Emporia better. It has a better App interface. Very happy with it.
Also, you have the option of hard wiring it or just plugging it in to a 50ah 220v plug

· Registered
163 Posts
I got an Emporia off Amazon to install at my work, I have the Rivian charger at home, I actually like the Emporia better. It has a better App interface. Very happy with it.
Also, you have the option of hard wiring it or just plugging it in to a 50ah 220v plug
The Rivian will be my first EV. Hopefully will get to convert all my ICE cars to EV. The Emporia sounds like it's compatible with all EVs so that might be better than the Rivian charger.

· Registered
367 Posts
They say it meets UL standards but not that it is UL listed, which I find concerning at that price point.

Is there something about this EVSE that you really want compared to the many other proven options?
As a co-op in the mid-80s, I got to participate in UL and FCC testing of some new products my company was getting ready to release. It can be both a long and expensive process.

That MAY be the reason behind the “it meets the standards” manufacturer statement without the actual certification if they don’t want to spend the time & money to get the mark.

They may believe that they built it to UL specs. But until UL agrees, it remains just a belief.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
As a co-op in the mid-80s, I got to participate in UL and FCC testing of some new products my company was getting ready to release. It can be both a long and expensive process.

That MAY be the reason behind the “it meets the standards” manufacturer statement without the actual certification if they don’t want to spend the time & money to get the mark.

They may believe that they built it to UL specs. But until UL agrees, it remains just a belief.
Correct. And on less-expensive EVSEs then maybe the cost savings is worth it for someone watching their Pennies. But this is an expensive EVSE, so there is no excuse to not be UL-listed, imo. You can get a UL-listed EVSE with comparable features from a proven brand for less money.

· Registered
351 Posts
I have the same at my office and it's well worth the money and the app is great!

· Registered
20 Posts
Curious... the Emporia at Amazon is $614 right now, the Rivain charger is $500... why make that choice? Just the app, and did you know that ahead of time? MY delivery window is coming up, I'll have to make a choice sometime...

· Registered
351 Posts
I went direct and paid less through Emporia. I have the Rivian charger at home but this is an excellent option for the money when many or nearly doubled the price. The app feedback and functionality is an excellent bonus. The Rivian charger is simply just aesthetically pleasing that’s about as far as it goes at the moment. Emporia EV Charger | Energy Star | UL Listed | 48 Amp | 24' Cable | 22

1 - 13 of 13 Posts