Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all! I'm exited for the coming electric camper revolution as electric pickups and larger truck chassis become available, and I want to build a camper for a Rivian truck! I am looking for someone in southern California who would want to collaborate on this with me. I'm located in San Diego, so the closer the better, but close-ness is not super required if you're willing to travel to me on occasion.

A cursory search indicates to me that there might not be a great camper option for a Rivian at this time, due to weight, range+aero, and perhaps unique dimensions of the R1T compared to other trucks. My goal would be to work with you to build a camper shell that meets your goals. You provide the truck and the cash for parts, I provide the design expertise and engineering labor. Build labor would be negotiable: depends on how hands on you want to be with the project, how much gets outsourced for part fabrication, and how much I end up doing myself. Worst case it would jut be market rate. What do I get out of this? I retain the rights for the design so I can build more in the future.

The weight limit of the Rivian R1T and aero+range impacts are probably the biggest constraints. My gut feeling on these things is that the end result will have to be fairly simple to keep the weight down. Designing for aero can be a significant undertaking, and will probably add quite a bit to the cost vs a simplistic and boxy design. Pop-ups and slide-outs are almost certainly the best way to keep it slipping through the air, but those obviously have compromises with simplicity, weight, weather seals, and thermal insulation.

So of course the big question is how long will it take and how much will it cost? A project like this can go a lot of different ways, and it's up to your discretion how fancy things get. Fancier just means more money and more time. As a starting point, I would expect this project to take about 12 months, and cost somewhere around $10,000 for something that's simple and effective.

A little background on me: I'm a mechanical engineer, graduated way back in 2009. I started my career in auto racing, worked for an very popular off-road accessory company and more recently transitioned into the medical device field. I'm excited to start tinkering on vehicles again, and particularly electric vehicles. One of my goals for the next few years is to build an electric motorhome, camper van, or camper-truck for my own personal use, and I see this as a good way to get started.

Obviously you should consider vetting me before agreeing to engage in this kind of arrangement, so for any interested parties I'll share my LinkedIn with full work history, plus some other side projects I've done in the space of vehicle modification and camp furniture design, as well as past business ventures, so you can get a full idea of what strengths I bring to the table. Finally, I am also interested in collaborating with other folks who want to be a part of this project. Is this a business? Perhaps, if the energy and traction is there, then it could be. I've learned over the years that businesses can grow from projects like this, but it's important to know when the wind is blowing at your back rather than in your face. With that said, I am open to feedback and interest from all Rivian owners, even if you don't want to collaborate in a more hands-on way.

I for one, am very excited for the electric camping and off-roading industry to take off, and will probably count myself among fellow electric truck owners in the next few years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The title says it all! I'm exited for the coming electric camper revolution as electric pickups and larger truck chassis become available, and I want to build a camper for a Rivian truck! I am looking for someone in southern California who would want to collaborate on this with me. I'm located in San Diego, so the closer the better, but close-ness is not super required if you're willing to travel to me on occasion.

A cursory search indicates to me that there might not be a great camper option for a Rivian at this time, due to weight, range+aero, and perhaps unique dimensions of the R1T compared to other trucks. My goal would be to work with you to build a camper shell that meets your goals. You provide the truck and the cash for parts, I provide the design expertise and engineering labor. Build labor would be negotiable: depends on how hands on you want to be with the project, how much gets outsourced for part fabrication, and how much I end up doing myself. Worst case it would jut be market rate. What do I get out of this? I retain the rights for the design so I can build more in the future.

The weight limit of the Rivian R1T and aero+range impacts are probably the biggest constraints. My gut feeling on these things is that the end result will have to be fairly simple to keep the weight down. Designing for aero can be a significant undertaking, and will probably add quite a bit to the cost vs a simplistic and boxy design. Pop-ups and slide-outs are almost certainly the best way to keep it slipping through the air, but those obviously have compromises with simplicity, weight, weather seals, and thermal insulation.

So of course the big question is how long will it take and how much will it cost? A project like this can go a lot of different ways, and it's up to your discretion how fancy things get. Fancier just means more money and more time. As a starting point, I would expect this project to take about 12 months, and cost somewhere around $10,000 for something that's simple and effective.

A little background on me: I'm a mechanical engineer, graduated way back in 2009. I started my career in auto racing, worked for an very popular off-road accessory company and more recently transitioned into the medical device field. I'm excited to start tinkering on vehicles again, and particularly electric vehicles. One of my goals for the next few years is to build an electric motorhome, camper van, or camper-truck for my own personal use, and I see this as a good way to get started.

Obviously you should consider vetting me before agreeing to engage in this kind of arrangement, so for any interested parties I'll share my LinkedIn with full work history, plus some other side projects I've done in the space of vehicle modification and camp furniture design, as well as past business ventures, so you can get a full idea of what strengths I bring to the table. Finally, I am also interested in collaborating with other folks who want to be a part of this project. Is this a business? Perhaps, if the energy and traction is there, then it could be. I've learned over the years that businesses can grow from projects like this, but it's important to know when the wind is blowing at your back rather than in your face. With that said, I am open to feedback and interest from all Rivian owners, even if you don't want to collaborate in a more hands-on way.

I for one, am very excited for the electric camping and off-roading industry to take off, and will probably count myself among fellow electric truck owners in the next few years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I looked through this thread, and unless I missed it, Airstream’s new eStream Concept Travel Trailer is missing and seems like it may draw some interest from you and others. I specifically posted to this thread because it discloses what Airstream has come up with that is in prototype production. To compete with them a look at what their engineers have done would be a good beginning.

I wasn’t sure at the outset what the capabilities were, but apparently this trailer is powered at the wheels, a concept I never thought would be put into practice. When hooked to an R!T it would actually not cause any drag on the truck. Further it could be unhitched and driven remotely to a campsite/parking space.

The details are at the following: eStream Concept Travel Trailer | Airstream Electrifying Adventure

Video released recently (no date mark)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts