Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all! I'm exited for the coming electric camper revolution as electric pickups and larger truck chassis become available, and I want to build a camper for a Rivian truck! I am looking for someone in southern California who would want to collaborate on this with me. I'm located in San Diego, so the closer the better, but close-ness is not super required if you're willing to travel to me on occasion.

A cursory search indicates to me that there might not be a great camper option for a Rivian at this time, due to weight, range+aero, and perhaps unique dimensions of the R1T compared to other trucks. My goal would be to work with you to build a camper shell that meets your goals. You provide the truck and the cash for parts, I provide the design expertise and engineering labor. Build labor would be negotiable: depends on how hands on you want to be with the project, how much gets outsourced for part fabrication, and how much I end up doing myself. Worst case it would jut be market rate. What do I get out of this? I retain the rights for the design so I can build more in the future.

The weight limit of the Rivian R1T and aero+range impacts are probably the biggest constraints. My gut feeling on these things is that the end result will have to be fairly simple to keep the weight down. Designing for aero can be a significant undertaking, and will probably add quite a bit to the cost vs a simplistic and boxy design. Pop-ups and slide-outs are almost certainly the best way to keep it slipping through the air, but those obviously have compromises with simplicity, weight, weather seals, and thermal insulation.

So of course the big question is how long will it take and how much will it cost? A project like this can go a lot of different ways, and it's up to your discretion how fancy things get. Fancier just means more money and more time. As a starting point, I would expect this project to take about 12 months, and cost somewhere around $10,000 for something that's simple and effective.

A little background on me: I'm a mechanical engineer, graduated way back in 2009. I started my career in auto racing, worked for an very popular off-road accessory company and more recently transitioned into the medical device field. I'm excited to start tinkering on vehicles again, and particularly electric vehicles. One of my goals for the next few years is to build an electric motorhome, camper van, or camper-truck for my own personal use, and I see this as a good way to get started.

Obviously you should consider vetting me before agreeing to engage in this kind of arrangement, so for any interested parties I'll share my LinkedIn with full work history, plus some other side projects I've done in the space of vehicle modification and camp furniture design, as well as past business ventures, so you can get a full idea of what strengths I bring to the table. Finally, I am also interested in collaborating with other folks who want to be a part of this project. Is this a business? Perhaps, if the energy and traction is there, then it could be. I've learned over the years that businesses can grow from projects like this, but it's important to know when the wind is blowing at your back rather than in your face. With that said, I am open to feedback and interest from all Rivian owners, even if you don't want to collaborate in a more hands-on way.

I for one, am very excited for the electric camping and off-roading industry to take off, and will probably count myself among fellow electric truck owners in the next few years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The title says it all! I'm exited for the coming electric camper revolution as electric pickups and larger truck chassis become available, and I want to build a camper for a Rivian truck! I am looking for someone in southern California who would want to collaborate on this with me. I'm located in San Diego, so the closer the better, but close-ness is not super required if you're willing to travel to me on occasion.

A cursory search indicates to me that there might not be a great camper option for a Rivian at this time, due to weight, range+aero, and perhaps unique dimensions of the R1T compared to other trucks. My goal would be to work with you to build a camper shell that meets your goals. You provide the truck and the cash for parts, I provide the design expertise and engineering labor. Build labor would be negotiable: depends on how hands on you want to be with the project, how much gets outsourced for part fabrication, and how much I end up doing myself. Worst case it would jut be market rate. What do I get out of this? I retain the rights for the design so I can build more in the future.

The weight limit of the Rivian R1T and aero+range impacts are probably the biggest constraints. My gut feeling on these things is that the end result will have to be fairly simple to keep the weight down. Designing for aero can be a significant undertaking, and will probably add quite a bit to the cost vs a simplistic and boxy design. Pop-ups and slide-outs are almost certainly the best way to keep it slipping through the air, but those obviously have compromises with simplicity, weight, weather seals, and thermal insulation.

So of course the big question is how long will it take and how much will it cost? A project like this can go a lot of different ways, and it's up to your discretion how fancy things get. Fancier just means more money and more time. As a starting point, I would expect this project to take about 12 months, and cost somewhere around $10,000 for something that's simple and effective.

A little background on me: I'm a mechanical engineer, graduated way back in 2009. I started my career in auto racing, worked for an very popular off-road accessory company and more recently transitioned into the medical device field. I'm excited to start tinkering on vehicles again, and particularly electric vehicles. One of my goals for the next few years is to build an electric motorhome, camper van, or camper-truck for my own personal use, and I see this as a good way to get started.

Obviously you should consider vetting me before agreeing to engage in this kind of arrangement, so for any interested parties I'll share my LinkedIn with full work history, plus some other side projects I've done in the space of vehicle modification and camp furniture design, as well as past business ventures, so you can get a full idea of what strengths I bring to the table. Finally, I am also interested in collaborating with other folks who want to be a part of this project. Is this a business? Perhaps, if the energy and traction is there, then it could be. I've learned over the years that businesses can grow from projects like this, but it's important to know when the wind is blowing at your back rather than in your face. With that said, I am open to feedback and interest from all Rivian owners, even if you don't want to collaborate in a more hands-on way.

I for one, am very excited for the electric camping and off-roading industry to take off, and will probably count myself among fellow electric truck owners in the next few years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I looked through this thread, and unless I missed it, Airstream’s new eStream Concept Travel Trailer is missing and seems like it may draw some interest from you and others. I specifically posted to this thread because it discloses what Airstream has come up with that is in prototype production. To compete with them a look at what their engineers have done would be a good beginning.

I wasn’t sure at the outset what the capabilities were, but apparently this trailer is powered at the wheels, a concept I never thought would be put into practice. When hooked to an R!T it would actually not cause any drag on the truck. Further it could be unhitched and driven remotely to a campsite/parking space.

The details are at the following: eStream Concept Travel Trailer | Airstream Electrifying Adventure

Video released recently (no date mark)

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi there
I am scheduled to get my truck within the month and may be interested if you are still considering this endeavor. I am a fabricator myself and would love to have a conversation and see what shakes out
Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey @atmh Stoked to see your post pop up! I've recently been looking for someone to collaborate with in my area! I'm in San Marcos and very interested in your proposal. Also along the lines of what @Freewayclyde mentioned, I'm scheduled to get my truck in the next couple months. I'm a product designer, 2D and 3D artist, with some diy skills in the workshop. I think I could assist with design and big picture problem solving, but lack the engineering and fabricating tools/space. Very interested in being hands-on.
I've been planning to learn welding and fabricating in the next year to get something built that works well with the Rivian / ev life. My camper-trailer brainstorming and research has been going for a couple of years now on what designs make sense, following builds on Expedition Portal and TVenturing Adventure Trailer forums for example. One of my projects on the slate is to build a Print CNC (diy cnc for wood and metal) and be able to utilize that for the concepts I've got brewing. Maybe we can collaborate!

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Valahalla we should talk. I have a full shop with most of any of the cnc machines needed in Vista.
I haven't heard from @atmh.
Should have my truck in a couple weeks
That would be great.
I was teaching a production class at MiraCosta for a few semesters and found they have a well appointed shop in Carlsbad, but they’ve been shut down for a long while.
I’ll send ya a message.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes , I was thinking pop-up of some form as I’m 6’6 and want to be able to stand at least in one section (the meerkat trailer has a small pop up section).
The Obi Dweller 13 is the kind of sweet spot I think in terms of size, but it’s still big and over-designed in some ways I think. Put another way, has more engineering than I could manage alone. There’s a guy that’s done a “Taco-shelter” build recently (on YouTube) that is like the Mammoth Overland trailer and I liked his approach with foam/alu skinned panels.
Do you have fiberglassing experience @Rhino Skin Solutions? Another thing I want to learn hah. Or Carbon Fiber part making based off 3D sculpted prints. I do like the idea of sculpting something that has some similar shape language to the R1 bodies. Have you seen the TrailTop campers modular kit system? I think making a mould like that could be interesting and more easily reproducible .

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm convinced there is a large & growing market for a solar-powered streamlined, aerodynamic, true 4-season camper oriented toward EV towing and in the moderate cost ($50-60k) space. At the moment, the only camper that comes close to filling this need is probably the Safari Condo Alto A2124. It lacks much in the way of solar, is not a true 4-season camper and has insufficient ground clearance for travel to many BLM sites however. IMO, it's also a bit larger than it needs to be. Still, demand is high and supply low: if you order one now, delivery will be in 2025.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts