Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lordstown is getting their hands into off-road racing just like Rivian has. They're going to entering the San Felipe 250 race in Baja with one of their Endurance pickups.

I'm curious to see how it performs off-road compared to the R1T.

LORDSTOWN, OH (February 17, 2021) – Lordstown Motors Corp. (Nasdaq: RIDE), (“Lordstown Motors”), a leader in electric light duty trucks focused on the commercial fleet market, has entered the Endurance Beta skateboard in the 2021 SCORE International San Felipe 250, part of the SCORE World Desert Championship race series. The 290-mile single loop race will start and finish in San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico on April 17, 2021.

By taking the Endurance to the Mexican desert race course, which is considered one of the most grueling and punishing in the world, Lordstown Motors is setting out to prove that the Endurance is not only one of the safest, most efficient trucks on the planet, but also that it is the toughest, most robust as it tackles the San Felipe Desert.

“We feel that it is quite a significant milestone for the electric vehicle community that an electric pickup truck can compete in an environment as demanding as Baja California,” said Steve Burns, CEO of Lordstown Motors. “Our goal is to be the first electric vehicle to ever complete the San Felipe 250, and with the superior traction, weight balance and advanced software control of our hub motor-based Endurance, we are confident that we will do just that.”

After being postponed in 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 San Felipe 250, held in April on Mexico’s Baja California peninsula, will be the SCORE World Desert Championship season-opener for the ninth straight season.

The Lordstown Endurance is a full-size, all-electric pickup that has a range of 250 miles, the equivalent of 600hp and can tow up to 7,500lbs. After successful prototype and Alpha builds, Lordstown is now building the first Beta Endurance vehicles and is on track for start of production in September of this year. The initial Endurance is a crew cab configuration with medium bed length, priced at $45,000 after federal rebate.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It will be interesting to see how they do. They have the motors integrated into the hub assemblies, right? I see the benefit of that for maintenance costs in fleets, but I would think that would be a large disadvantage for off-road performance (high unsprung weight).

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be interesting to see how they do. They have the motors integrated into the hub assemblies, right? I see the benefit of that for maintenance costs in fleets, but I would think that would be a large disadvantage for off-road performance (high unsprung weight).
According to their website they have a 4 motor system at each wheel like the R1T.

·
Registered
218 Posts
According to their website they have a 4 motor system at each wheel like the R1T.

View attachment 1468
You should re-read that a little closer. It's very different than Rivian.

Rivian uses inboard-mounted motors. Yes, there is one FOR each wheel -- but they are not IN the wheel. The motors are mounted to the frame and they use CV shafts to deliver power to the hubs. This makes them sprung weight, meaning that they are part of the mass the suspension cushions.

Lordstown uses IN-WHEEL motors. These are actually integrated in to the hub assembly. There is no half shaft, as the entire motor moves with the wheel. This was touted as a maintenance benefit for fleets, because it eliminated some wear parts (such as CV shafts) and it also means the entire motor/hub assembly can be quickly removed and replaced with a substitute assembly and the truck can go be put back into service, quickly, while the removed assembly is refurbished. It's common for fleets to maintain hot-spares like this. However, the motors have to be heavy, and that weight is considered "unsprung" -- which is bad for off-road handling.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should re-read that a little closer. It's very different than Rivian.

Rivian uses inboard-mounted motors. Yes, there is one FOR each wheel -- but they are not IN the wheel. The motors are mounted to the frame and they use CV shafts to deliver power to the hubs. This makes them sprung weight, meaning that they are part of the mass the suspension cushions.

Lordstown uses IN-WHEEL motors. These are actually integrated in to the hub assembly. There is no half shaft, as the entire motor moves with the wheel. This was touted as a maintenance benefit for fleets, because it eliminated some wear parts (such as CV shafts) and it also means the entire motor/hub assembly can be quickly removed and replaced with a substitute assembly and the truck can go be put back into service, quickly, while the removed assembly is refurbished. It's common for fleets to maintain hot-spares like this. However, the motors have to be heavy, and that weight is considered "unsprung" -- which is bad for off-road handling.
Ah you're right my mistake, thanks for clearing that up. The race in Baja is going to be a great test for Lordstown's setup to see if they're more than just fleet friendly vehicles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just saw that its top speed is governed at 80mph (SW). Is Rivian governed too? (120mph at least)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just saw that its top speed is governed at 80mph (SW). Is Rivian governed too? (120mph at least)
125 mph. But if Rivian built a rally car they could certainly put a two-speed transmission in it, or even make the front and rear motor pairs be optimized differently.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wonder if the Lordstown truck competing in this race will still be limited to 80 mph or if they'll remove it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Anyone want to make predictions on how the Endurance does? My guess is that it's going to struggle more than the R1T. I don't think it's going to finish in the top half.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Anyone want to make predictions on how the Endurance does? My guess is that it's going to struggle more than the R1T. I don't think it's going to finish in the top half.
They don’t really need to rank highly. For them, simply finishing and demonstrating reliability and strength is what fleets will notice and care about. Lordstown isn’t marketing towards adventure customers or even one-off buyers — they want fleet customers.

They’ll get some good data for internal development, as well.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
133 Posts
They don’t really need to rank highly. For them, simply finishing and demonstrating reliability and strength is what fleets will notice and care about. Lordstown isn’t marketing towards adventure customers or even one-off buyers — they want fleet customers.

They’ll get some good data for internal development, as well.
And not catching fire would be a bonus :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts