Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of how to prevent loss of charge when the vehicle is parked and not hooked to a charger? I know that with Tesla if you turn off sentry mode the battery loses very little juice. My new R1T loses about 15 mi every 12 hours. I've turned off climate and gear guard. Anything else?
BTW i love this truck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'd ask Rivian directly. Get a feel for their product support. Is there a support forum for owners on Rivian's website? That's always a good means of support as they can answer everybody with one reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
15 miles is about 1/20 of battery capacity, so ca 130/20 = 6.5kWh over 12 hours, or 0.5kW. That's more than the power draw of my I-Pace when it's fully powered up (not driving). Are you sure the car was "off"?
Thanks for that. Since there's no 'off' switch it is not up to me... I do live at 9,000 ft and it's been cold for the past week. That may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I do live at 9,000 ft and it's been cold for the past week
If an EV sits in the cold it will lose range from loss of battery capacity not from any vampire drains. I got to work with 50 miles left on the Tesla, it was in the 20's. When I came out 10 hours later, the car had 8 miles of range (not enough to get to the Tesla charger). New EA charger nearby and Chademo adapter saved me. Cold will reduce the range a lot. I'd guess that is what you are seeing.

·
Registered
481 Posts
have you noticed how much cold impacts the range?
If you mean the Tesla Model 3, a lot. I see a 30-40% range reduction in cold weather, under 40F. And letting it sit in cold, as noted above, it will lose a lot from warm battery to cold which seemed to describe the range loss here, range lost after warm car parked in cold climate.

Was hoping Rivian had a energy usage function like the Hyundai's where you can see where power is used, heat, media, car function, driving.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If an EV sits in the cold it will lose range from loss of battery capacity not from any vampire drains. I got to work with 50 miles left on the Tesla, it was in the 20's. When I came out 10 hours later, the car had 8 miles of range (not enough to get to the Tesla charger). New EA charger nearby and Chademo adapter saved me. Cold will reduce the range a lot. I'd guess that is what you are seeing.
Battery does not lose energy in the cold. You lose the usable energy but get it back when the battery warms up from driving. I’m in Alaska and have more time of the year below freezing then above, and have 8 winters with a Tesla up here.

·
Registered
401 Posts
have you noticed how much cold impacts the range?
Cold in itself does not reduce range that is until it gets below about -10 or -20F. But at those temps there are many variables so hard to say.

What does reduce range in the winter: running the heat, running the heat in an IVE costs nothing, in an EV it spends electrons. Also as compares to an ICEs EVs don’t really feel warm and toasty inside. If you set the heat to 70F+ could see a huge hit 30-50% depending on how cold it is outside. For me I set the heat to 62F and really don’t notice a large impact (>20%) until it gets somewhat below 0F. Snow/ice covered roads, again lose fresh snow reduces range a ton. Worst days I’ve ever seen is below 0F with 3-6”+ of fresh lose snow 70% reduction. Heavy lose high moisture content snow with temps in the 20’sF I see 50-70% loss. Sunny day, clear roads, temps in the teens I get very close to rated range.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Battery does not lose energy in the cold. You lose the usable energy but get it back when the battery warms up from driving. I’m in Alaska and have more time of the year below freezing then above, and have 8 winters with a Tesla up here.
There is times a leave work when it is below 0. Drive 7-10 miles and gain %. On the Tesla it shows a blue bar on the battery to approximate how much % is currently unavailable but will be when the battery warms from driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone know of how to prevent loss of charge when the vehicle is parked and not hooked to a charger? I know that with Tesla if you turn off sentry mode the battery loses very little juice. My new R1T loses about 15 mi every 12 hours. I've turned off climate and gear guard. Anything else?
BTW i love this truck!
This is normal. Tesla also loses about this much. At least mine does.

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is normal. Tesla also loses about this much. At least mine does.
My 2014 model S and 2018 Model 3 didn’t lose anything meaningful sitting. I don’t have sentry mode, cabin overheat, or any 3rd party apps. I’ve had the model 3 sit unplugged for up to 12 days and lost at most 3%. The key is turn off sentry (or the Rivian yeti equivalent) turn off overheat, and do not check (and wake it up) from the app.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It’s not sitting as such but going from a 75F battery to a 20F battery, you’ll see significant drop in range. Sounds like what happened in the OP’s case.
When I leave my heated garage my battery is 60F and arrive at work and it could be -25F. I still don’t lose any % or miles. I can have a 40-50 degree temperate swing in a day regularly still don’t see energy lost.

·
Registered
481 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts