Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has a manual tonneau equipped truck made it out of the factory yet? My truck is configured with a manual cover and I had an end of year delivery date until I changed the interior to the ocean coast/dark dash option. Now I don't have a date.

The manual cover seems like a simple option to provide and the powered one problematic. - so I'm not sure why I haven't heard of a customer experience with the manual option.

Thanks

· Registered
790 Posts
You should have received an email - the full text has been posted in these forums a number of time. But the bottom line is that no manual tonneaus have shipped yet. If your vehicle is scheduled for delivery with a manual tonneau, they may deliver the vehicle now and ship the tonneau panels separately later on (like they do with the cross bars, all-weather floor mats, etc.). The email says that their "current estimate" is that the manual tonneau panels will start shipping in early 2023.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny. I didn't get that email perhaps my spam filter caught it. I did however find the language of the update. Sorta concerned about the "light weather" spec. Online demo's of the powered cover show it to be remarkably weather tight i.e. minor water leakage. The Rivian note says the manual tonneau is made of an "aluminum composite". Well, we'll see...

· Registered
790 Posts
The automatic is very weatherproof, even in heavy rain, in my limited experience so far. But I don't think it's promised to be weather tight so I've been putting things I don't want to get wet into bins. I would expect the manual cover to have panels similar to the automatic, but larger since there will only be four of them. The panels on the automatic lock together on the edges - the aluminum extrusions are "hooked" along the edge and the hooks from adjacent panels interlock with rubber gaskets. The manual might have a similar locking mechanism, although that would make them harder to install. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

· Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
261 Posts
I'm really not sold on thr "manual" tonneau cover. While no tonneau cover is completely water proof, I can't see how individual slats will be water proof at all. Or am I missing something?
I'm sure they will latch to each other in some way and make them just as water-resistant as the automatic cover, which is also individual panels.

Having had an Avalanche with 3 individual panels, it wasn't completely water tight, but it only leaked under a high pressure spray like a car wash or pressure washer (basically the same as the Rivian auto cover). I would hope that Rivian could match that same level of sealing from 20 years ago on the manual cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts