Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I heard that Rivian was contemplating factory installed wraps. I saw the long way up reunion video, and the Matte Black wrap was incredible. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have not seen a commitment to offer factory wraps. All I've seen Rivian say is their typical "maybe, but not now" which is a lot like what my parents used to say when the answer was really "no".

You can just buy white or silver (no upcharge) and get a wrap at a local vendor, anyway. No need to wait for Rivian.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have not seen a commitment to offer factory wraps. All I've seen Rivian say is their typical "maybe, but not now" which is a lot like what my parents used to say when the answer was really "no".

You can just buy white or silver (no upcharge) and get a wrap at a local vendor, anyway. No need to wait for Rivian.
I'll likely go this route.

Thinking to get a matte film over Forest Green. What about everyone else?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm considering Silver, Limestone, and Rivian Blue.

I most likely won't do a wrap, but if I did it'd be a pattern like what Rivian has shown off.

I'm not a fan of "matte".

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'm considering Silver, Limestone, and Rivian Blue.

I most likely won't do a wrap, but if I did it'd be a pattern like what Rivian has shown off.

I'm not a fan of "matte".
Can't be hard for a good wrap shop to come up with something like what Rivian has shown off so far.
How much would you be willing to pay for it?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Can't be hard for a good wrap shop to come up with something like what Rivian has shown off so far.
How much would you be willing to pay for it?
I'm not the best person to ask that question, because it would need to be no more than $500 for me to say "hell yes" and I might go up to $1,000 if there was a wrap that I just absolutely "had to have" but I'd be timid at that price point.

Wraps don't last for ever. It seems 2-3 years is typical, before they fade and look like crap. So whatever you think you're willing to pay, consider that you're going to be paying that every few years. For businesses, that makes sense. For people who want to change their color/design every few years, then maybe that's okay for them. But if you want to keep the same design for 10 years, then a wrap can get expensive.

I can get most of the Rivian factory premium paints for $1,500, and I expect the paint on any new vehicle to give me 15 years of trouble-free luster with periodic washes and an annual waxing. Wraps can be cool, but they rarely hold up under close inspection and they're so expensive, over the long-term.d

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
I’ve never had a car wrapped, but have heard that you really shouldn’t take a wrapped car through an automated car wash. That makes it a non-starter for me since I live where it’s snow/ice/salt 6 months of the year and lots of driving on dirt roads the rest of the year. So I maintain a monthly unlimited account at the car wash and generally go thru it at least once a week if not more.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I’ve never had a car wrapped, but have heard that you really shouldn’t take a wrapped car through an automated car wash. That makes it a non-starter for me since I live where it’s snow/ice/salt 6 months of the year and lots of driving on dirt roads the rest of the year. So I maintain a monthly unlimited account at the car wash and generally go thru it at least once a week if not more.
To be fair, all auto dealers and self-proclaimed detail "enthusiasts" say that automatic car washes are death to factory paint, as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts