Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There appears to be some very disappointing news for those of us who want (in my case need) the Max (180 kWh) battery package for the R1S: It may not be available to pre-order holders.
Here is the Rivian customer service reply to my query about adding the Max package to my R1S pre-order:
" The R1S will initially be available with our Large Pack, 300+ mile range. While there are plans to offer future R1S battery packs, there is no set production date or cost. If you like, you may keep the preorder and wait for future R1S announcements. This will allow earlier access to any future models."

This is really disappointing. Like many who plan to do some exploring and trailer towing with their R1S, range is hugely important. I can't justify spending upwards of $80k on an adventure vehicle that has a 200 mile effective range when towing a modest camper.

I'm sure there will eventually be an R1S with 400+ miles of range. I'm not sure if my 2008 XC-90 can hold on until then (2024?) though. If the wait for a Max pack R1S is really three+ years though, the charging network will probably be built up enough to make the added range unnecessary . . . .

·
Registered
501 Posts
There appears to be some very disappointing news for those of us who want (in my case need) the Max (180 kWh) battery package for the R1S: It may not be available to pre-order holders.
Here is the Rivian customer service reply to my query about adding the Max package to my R1S pre-order:
" The R1S will initially be available with our Large Pack, 300+ mile range. While there are plans to offer future R1S battery packs, there is no set production date or cost. If you like, you may keep the preorder and wait for future R1S announcements. This will allow earlier access to any future models."

This is really disappointing. Like many who plan to do some exploring and trailer towing with their R1S, range is hugely important. I can't justify spending upwards of $80k on an adventure vehicle that has a 200 mile effective range when towing a modest camper.

I'm sure there will eventually be an R1S with 400+ miles of range. I'm not sure if my 2008 XC-90 can hold on until then (2024?) though. If the wait for a Max pack R1S is really three+ years though, the charging network will probably be built up enough to make the added range unnecessary . . . .
I don't think it's going to take 3 years for Rivian to offer the large battery pack for the R1S. That would be a big step back for Rivian. If the 180 pack is that important to you would you consider switching to the R1T?

·
Registered
641 Posts

There's a lot of talk about a Rivian IPO and ahead of that happening, they might offer the 180 kWh battery pack.
I could be wrong but its definitely something to consider.

Have you been exploring other higher range options available around when Rivian R1T's arrive?

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's only been a week since I configured my preorder, and I'm finding myself more and more concerned upon reviewing the daily comments on the websites and forums. The information is more disappointing every day and I'm beginning to question my decision to purchase a new and not yet truly proven product! I think of the term; "BATE n SWITCH!" For over a year I followed most of the posting and media about RIVIAN and the available 400+ mile battery packs. Thus I decided to give it a try, as this would be an awesome investment! I'm not liking being told that the 400+ mile battery packs now will not be available by August 2021 nor January 2022 or maybe until 2023. In addition there have been multiple price changes from 62K to 69K and back down to 65K upon the news of the Cyber Truck, and then all the way back up to 75K on Configuration day! The other suprise was that if offered the 400+ mile battery packs could an additional 10K! I think it's time for RIVIAN to come forward and just be honest about what's truly available and at what cost! "Currently I beleive that not being up front they're at RISK of losing their followers as well as potential customers!"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
" The R1S will initially be available with our Large Pack, 300+ mile range. While there are plans to offer future R1S battery packs, there is no set production date or cost. If you like, you may keep the preorder and wait for future R1S announcements. This will allow earlier access to any future models." . . .
I suspect that Rivian got quite a few inquiries about the Max pack for the R1S. I replied to the email above telling them how disappointing the above news was and again, suspect that I was not alone in expressing this. I further suspect that negative response to the lack of information regarding the Max package prompted Rivian Customer Service to send out this update, received late yesterday:

" . . . we plan to announce a longer range battery pack in January 2022 for the R1S. You can opt to wait until that becomes available if you wish, and hold onto your current configuration. You will not lose your spot in line for making changes or for waiting for the longer range battery pack to be announced. If you make a configuration in 2022 for that option, your place in line will still be taken into account."

That's good news - sort of. It's at least a target date, and it's good to know that those of us who pre-ordered get some kind of preference though the statement pretty clearly indicates that you will not retain your current place in the R1S queue.

Then too there's the question of when an order configured in 2022 will be delivered. I speculated in an earlier post that Rivian would deliver all of their existing pre-orders in the Large battery configuration before the Max pack R1S would go into production. I still think that this is the case and from Rivian's perspective, it makes a lot of sense. It is difficult - and risky - to introduce changes into an existing production line and much easier to do so at the end of the production run.

When that will be is, at this point, anyone's guess but that may be the reason that the announcement of the Max pack option is not until January 2022.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's only been a week since I configured my preorder, and I'm finding myself more and more concerned upon reviewing the daily comments on the websites and forums. The information is more disappointing every day and I'm beginning to question my decision to purchase a new and not yet truly proven product! I think of the term; "BATE n SWITCH!" For over a year I followed most of the posting and media about RIVIAN and the available 400+ mile battery packs. Thus I decided to give it a try, as this would be an awesome investment! I'm not liking being told that the 400+ mile battery packs now will not be available by August 2021 nor January 2022 or maybe until 2023. In addition there have been multiple price changes from 62K to 69K and back down to 65K upon the news of the Cyber Truck, and then all the way back up to 75K on Configuration day! The other suprise was that if offered the 400+ mile battery packs could an additional 10K! I think it's time for RIVIAN to come forward and just be honest about what's truly available and at what cost! "Currently I beleive that not being up front they're at RISK of losing their followers as well as potential customers!"
I share your disappointment. It now looks like the announcement of the Max battery pack will be in Jan 2022 (see my earlier post) but that does not give us any idea of when delivery will be. There's no information about the added cost but I think it's safe to assume it will be at least as much as on the R1T. My guess is that it will be somewhat higher, reflecting what I suspect are additional (and possibly unanticapated) design, integration and production cost associated with the larger battery and the Rivian SUV model.

There's unfortunately no alternative to the R1S and so no alternative but to wait and see what Rivian does.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I suspect that Rivian got quite a few inquiries about the Max pack for the R1S. I replied to the email above telling them how disappointing the above news was and again, suspect that I was not alone in expressing this. I further suspect that negative response to the lack of information regarding the Max package prompted Rivian Customer Service to send out this update, received late yesterday:

" . . . we plan to announce a longer range battery pack in January 2022 for the R1S. You can opt to wait until that becomes available if you wish, and hold onto your current configuration. You will not lose your spot in line for making changes or for waiting for the longer range battery pack to be announced. If you make a configuration in 2022 for that option, your place in line will still be taken into account."

That's good news - sort of. It's at least a target date, and it's good to know that those of us who pre-ordered get some kind of preference though the statement pretty clearly indicates that you will not retain your current place in the R1S queue.

Then too there's the question of when an order configured in 2022 will be delivered. I speculated in an earlier post that Rivian would deliver all of their existing pre-orders in the Large battery configuration before the Max pack R1S would go into production. I still think that this is the case and from Rivian's perspective, it makes a lot of sense. It is difficult - and risky - to introduce changes into an existing production line and much easier to do so at the end of the production run.

When that will be is, at this point, anyone's guess but that may be the reason that the announcement of the Max pack option is not until January 2022.
I too really wanted the 400+ mile R1S. However, I always thought there would be a trade of between the 7 seat configuration and the 5 seater as the extra batteries would go where the 3rd row seat folds into. Given that trade off I would still choose the 300 mile pack. I currently own an Audi eTron with only 200 miles of range. I’ve taken the Audi an several road trips and it works just fine. I basically drive for 3 hours and charge for an hour at a 50Kw charger. If I had the 150Kw chargers available to me, that would only be a 20min stop. I can’t finish a sit down meal in that kind of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it's going to take 3 years for Rivian to offer the large battery pack for the R1S. That would be a big step back for Rivian. If the 180 pack is that important to you would you consider switching to the R1T?
I vastly prefer an SUV over a pickup, though admittedly, the R1T is an attractive truck. So short answer: I considered the R1T but am willing to wait until 2022 for the R1S and willing to pay an extra $10k for the added range.

The R1S will be replacing an aging (2008) but still quite capable Volvo XC-90 V8 Sport AWD. I want the same capability in a BEV (comfort and range for long distance travel, ability for small camper towing and limited boondocking, room for dogs along with outdoor gear). The R1S seems to tick these boxes and as noted, I am willing to wait another year and a half for it. If delivery gets pushed to 2023 or the cost of the Max pack is greater than for the R1T however, I'm out and the replacement for the Volvo will likely be another ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I can't believe Rivian made the decision to delay the Max Pack for exactly the reasons you state above. I think it's a huge mistake! I've owned a Tesla Model S for 6 years so I have a lot of experience with managing EV's. I need a Max Pack but I don't think I can wait. I don't think my current truck will make it long enough to wait for the Max Pack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts