Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of this community that have their preorder configured for the max battery pack, has anyone changed their config to the large battery to possibly get an earlier delivery estimate? I called Rivian support about doing this and of course they were non committal on pretty much every question I asked about config changes and impact to delivery timeframes. Just curious what other folks have done.

·
Registered
440 Posts
For those of this community that have their preorder configured for the max battery pack, has anyone changed their config to the large battery to possibly get an earlier delivery estimate? I called Rivian support about doing this and of course they were non committal on pretty much every question I asked about config changes and impact to delivery timeframes. Just curious what other folks have done.
Sticking with max pack.
it’s max or. I thing for me. I learned my lessons

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'm on the fence. The overwhelming majority of the year the Large pack is sufficient for me. The Max pack "value" proposition, for me, is potentially:
  • Resale value (debatable)
  • Trips (is the extra range necessary? Just a convenience? Unnecessary?)
  • Longevity (Will the useable range remain sufficient for more years as the pack ages?)
I don't feel that I have adequate answers to the above questions/concerns. To further complicate matters, Rivian refuses to give me any information on how delivery timing will be affected by changing configs. Despite what some others insist, timing is an important consideration for me.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I did change mine and talked to CS earlier this week about how it would affect my pre-order. She said it would move it from late 2023 to sometime this year, but I'm hesitant to believe that until I see it on the configurator (whenever delivery dates go live on the site). I expect to revert back to Max pack if my order window doesn't change substantially. 300+ mi is sufficient for 95% of my needs, although I'd prefer longer if I'm going to pay that much for a vehicle.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Cold weather use, long trips and trailer towing make the Max essential. Since I really want an R1S, I'm resigned to have to wait until at least 2024 and to get a battery pack that has less than the 415 range of the R1T Max. There is really no alternative to Rivian at this point, though that may change by 2024.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I’m on my 9th winter with a Tesla in Alaska. Snow/ice covered roads temps in the single digits or lower (F) in my LR 3 I charge 30% to 80% and with that 50% get 70-90 miles. Towing my camper I’m expecting to lose half. Battery size is king, no way I’d go for the smaller battery.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ordered LE R1T, and ordered R1T MAX. Will sell LE if/when MAX comes to life. Or keep LE and buy MAX then sell one or the other. These EV's are going to be like real estate investments given the way delivery is going.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Range is king
I don't think it's king ... I think it matters in some circumstances. The amount of time you spend at L3 chargers (in those situations where range matters most 'cause you're on a road trip) will be exactly the same regardless of battery pack size, except if you are driving far enough at just the right distance so that you can skip a charging stop. Realistically the Max pack will give 30% more range, so you might be able to skip one charging stop out of four. That's nice but not earth shattering.

Admittedly that does not factor in cold temps in Northern latitudes, or towing. Just sayin', for most people in most circumstances range is less important in fact than it may seem at face value.

Also: With a standard 7.2 kW home charging setup (where 6.5kW go into the battery), filling the usable Max pack capacity from near zero will take ~175kWh/6.5kW=27 hours! That's more than overnight. Even the Large pack will take ca 20 hours. My I-Pace's 12 hours is ok but could be longer, often it's done charging at 5 am. [Edited numbers after some calculations]

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't think it's king ... I think it matters in some circumstances. The amount of time you spend at L3 chargers (in those situations where range matters most 'cause you're on a road trip) will be exactly the same regardless of battery pack size, except if you are driving far enough at just the right distance so that you can skip a charging stop. Realistically the Max pack will give 30% more range, so you might be able to skip one charging stop out of four. That's nice but not earth shattering.

Admittedly that does not factor in cold temps in Northern latitudes, or towing. Just sayin', for most people in most circumstances range is less important in fact than it may seem at face value.

Also: With a standard 7.2 kW home charging setup, filling the Max pack will take 20 hours! That's more than overnight. The Large pack has a sweet spot I think, at about 15 hours. My I-Pace's 10 hours is ok but could be longer, often it's done charging at 5 am.
Hopefully you will see the light in the next few years. Come back to me when you realize and just say. Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Also: With a standard 7.2 kW home charging setup, filling the Max pack will take 20 hours! That's more than overnight. The Large pack has a sweet spot I think, at about 15 hours. My I-Pace's 10 hours is ok but could be longer, often it's done charging at 5 am.
What is your daily drive? >200 miles a day? Why are you charging your ipace for 10 hours?

everyday when I get home I plug in. Sometimes I’ve only used 5% and it takes 20min . You should approaching never need to home charge an EV from 0% to 100%.

another way to look at it is at home the Max pack will take ~10 hours to charge 30% to 80% which is a way more realistic scenario.

·
Registered
456 Posts
What is your daily drive? >200 miles a day? Why are you charging your ipace for 10 hours?
The discussion is about Max battery and therefore about range. Range does not matter for daily driving. Charging at home for your commute is irrelevant in this context. The L2 charging speed matters in this context when you pull into a hotel with an L2 charger on a road trip. If it takes 20 hours to charge to 100% but if you don't have the 20 hours then that extra battery capacity is basically wasted.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts