Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
As a Max pack preorder holder, we want to thank you for being on this journey with us as we work toward delivering your vehicle. As we continue to advance our technology and evolve our product line, we want to share updates as early as possible to help you plan.

Updates we plan to make early next year:
  • R1T with Max pack will only be available in a Dual-Motor AWD configuration.
  • Max pack with standard Dual-Motor AWD will have a target range around 640+ kilometers, 600 HP and 0–100 km/h as quick as 4.7 seconds.¹ We will also offer an enhanced version of Dual-Motor AWD with the same range that increases horsepower to 700 HP and lowers 0–100 km/h to as quick as 3.6 seconds.¹ Both versions maintain the R1T’s 4,989 kg of towing capacity.
  • For price committed customers who preordered before 3/1/2022, choosing standard Dual-Motor AWD will lower your current price by $6,250 CAD while the enhanced version will lower it by $2,750 CAD. Deliveries are planned to start at the end of summer in limited volumes and will ramp through the end of the year. We will prioritize Max pack preorder holders for our earliest Dual-Motor deliveries where it’s possible.
  • Quad-Motor + Max pack will not be selectable in the configurator beginning in early 2023. We plan to add a Quad-Motor with additional capability at a later date that will pair with the Max pack. We will release pricing for this new variant closer to launch.
  • This update introduces a more energy dense Max pack design that pairs with our Dual-Motor drive system to deliver long range with outstanding performance at a lower price point. Making this change supports our continued focus on simplifying the production process as we scale.

At this time, no action is required on your part. We simply wanted to notify you early to make you aware. We plan to reach back out in January with details on updating your configuration and when you can expect your delivery timing estimate.

If you prefer to maintain a Quad-Motor configuration — and the possibility to accelerate your delivery date to early 2023 — we recommend changing your R1T configuration to Quad-Motor + Large pack, capable of an EPA-est. 525+ kilometers of range when paired with 21” wheels. If you make this selection now, your new delivery window estimate will be made available in January during our next scheduled timing update.

Look for an email in January with next steps. Of course, if you have questions in the meantime, please contact our team – we are here to help. We want to make sure you have everything you need to help you get into your Rivian as soon as possible. Thanks again for being on this journey with us.

Tony Caravano
Head of Rivian Customer Engagement

*Ranges provided are preliminary manufacturer estimates based on the EPA test cycle and are not official EPA values except where noted. Vehicle range varies with final vehicle selections and other conditions.

¹Acceleration timing estimates depend on tire selection and battery pack. Dual-Motor figures are projections and are subject to change at any time.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,
As a Max pack preorder holder, we want to thank you for being on this journey with us as we work toward delivering your vehicle. As we continue to advance our technology and evolve our product line, we want to share updates as early as possible to help you plan.

• Max pack with standard Dual-Motor AWD will have a target range around 640+ kilometers, 600 HP and 0–100 km/h as quick as 4.7 seconds.¹ We will also offer an enhanced version of Dual-Motor AWD with the same range that increases horsepower to 700 HP and lowers 0–100 km/h to as quick as 3.6 seconds.¹ Both versions maintain the R1T’s 4,989 kg of towing capacity.
  • For price committed customers who preordered before 3/1/2022, choosing standard Dual-Motor AWD will lower your current price by $6,250 CAD while the enhanced version will lower it by $2,750 CAD. Deliveries are planned to start at the end of summer in limited volumes and will ramp through the end of the year. We will prioritize Max pack preorder holders for our earliest Dual-Motor deliveries where it’s possible.
  • Quad-Motor + Max pack will not be selectable in the configurator beginning in early 2023. We plan to add a Quad-Motor with additional capability at a later date that will pair with the Max pack. We will release pricing for this new variant closer to launch.
  • This update introduces a more energy dense Max pack design that pairs with our Dual-Motor drive system to deliver long range with outstanding performance at a lower price point. Making this change supports our continued focus on simplifying the production process as we scale.

At this time, no action is required on your part. We simply wanted to notify you early to make you aware. We plan to reach back out in January with details on updating your configuration and when you can expect your delivery timing estimate.

If you prefer to maintain a Quad-Motor configuration — and the possibility to accelerate your delivery date to early 2023 — we recommend changing your R1T configuration to Quad-Motor + Large pack, capable of an EPA-est. 525+ kilometers of range when paired with 21” wheels. If you make this selection now, your new delivery window estimate will be made available in January during our next scheduled timing update.

Look for an email in January with next steps. Of course, if you have questions in the meantime, please contact our team – we are here to help. We want to make sure you have everything you need to help you get into your Rivian as soon as possible. Thanks again for being on this journey with us.

Tony Caravano

*Ranges provided are preliminary manufacturer estimates based on the EPA test cycle and are not official EPA values except where noted. Vehicle range varies with final vehicle selections and other conditions.

¹Acceleration timing estimates depend on tire selection and battery pack. Dual-Motor figures are projections and are subject to change at any time.
I'd love to stay with quad/max but the wait is so long.
Need to decide:
- dual/max or quad/large?

What would you do? Or maybe just keep waiting on quad/max

· Registered
84 Posts
Hi,

Tony Caravano

For US orders:
“…
  • Max pack with standard Dual-Motor AWD will have a target range around 400 miles, 600 HP and 0-60 mph as quick as 4.5 seconds.¹ We will also offer an enhanced version of Dual-Motor AWD with the same range that increases horsepower to 700 HP and lowers 0-60 mph to as quick as 3.5 seconds.¹ Both versions maintain the R1T’s 11,000 lbs of towing capacity.”
“… For price committed customers who preordered before 3/1/2022, choosing standard Dual-Motor AWD will lower your current price by $4,500 while the enhanced version will lower it by $2,000.”; and

“… 328 miles of range when paired with 21” wheels.” instead of 525+ kms.

· Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

Tony Caravano

Looks like decision time between Quad Motor OR Max Pack...not both. I guess "none of the above" is another option.
So, for me the question is which feature is more important to me: 400 mile range or tank turns. :unsure:

· Super Moderator
570 Posts
Changing to a dual-motor Max results in a more than $8k increase to the quad Max that many of us presently have configured. I guess that our only option now is wait a few years for this to happen:
Quad-Motor + Max pack will not be selectable in the configurator beginning in early 2023. We plan to add a Quad-Motor with additional capability at a later date that will pair with the Max pack. We will release pricing for this new variant closer to launch.
I've been joking that I won't see the R1T Max I reserved in May of 2020 until sometime in 2025. Looks like that may have been overly optimistic.

· Registered
11 Posts
Changing to a dual-motor Max results in a more than $8k increase to the quad Max that many of us presently have configured....
I read the announcement somewhat differently:
"For price committed customers who preordered before 3/1/2022, choosing standard Dual-Motor AWD will lower your current price by $4,500 while the enhanced version will lower it by $2,000."
"We plan to add a Quad-Motor with additional capability at a later date that will pair with the Max pack. We will release pricing for this new variant closer to launch."

Sounds to me like they have made the decision to allow changing from Quad Max to Dual Max with a net cost savings for old reservation holders, instead of the as you said $8K increase.
Also, sounds like the new Quad Max may be a 'new' configuration with a new price which is TBD, and I presume no longer bound by old reservation holder pricing.

· Registered
84 Posts
Changing to a dual-motor Max results in a more than $8k increase to the quad Max that many of us presently have configured. I guess that our only option now is wait a few years for this to happen:

I've been joking that I won't see the R1T Max I reserved in May of 2020 until sometime in 2025. Looks like that may have been overly optimistic.
My understanding is the price goes down from pre - 3/1 configuration if you switch to dual+max.

· Registered
9 Posts
Understand the 2024 delivery date but kind of vague in what it's going to mean if I stick with my Max+Quad config. price-wise. Unfortunately, I agree with you on the language they used to get out of the original Quad+Max order pricing.

Also, sounds like the new Quad Max may be a 'new' configuration with a new price which is TBD, and I presume no longer bound by old reservation holder pricing.
I'm a Rivian fan, with a 2021 Quad+Max order, I believe in the company enough to also own stock; but the continuous removal of all the elements that set the truck apart (in my opinion) is getting discouraging. The process of pre-ordering and locking in the original pricing seemed great, specifically when Rivian was honoring the pre-order pricing on options and gear but removing them eliminated all the advantage of pre-order or early pricing. We now have to add gear and other upcoming options that were removed at whatever new pricing is set. I know the legal copy addresses their ability to make these changes but sad how different my truck looks now compared to what I was excited about the day I configured it. I'm going to wait until January to see if there are more details on the Quad+Max config. hope they give some pricing love to original Quad+Max orders for the new variant.

Config changes since ordering:
Camping Tent
Camp Kitchen
Gear Shuttle Tray for Gear Tunnel
Electric Tonneau
Accessories
Cargo Cross bars
Field Kit
Recovery Boards
Recovery Mounts
All Weather Floor Mat
Quad Motor + Max Pack

· Registered
84 Posts
Understand the 2024 delivery date but kind of vague in what it's going to mean if I stick with my Max+Quad config. price-wise. Unfortunately, I agree with you on the language they used to get out of the original Quad+Max order pricing.

I'm a Rivian fan, with a 2021 Quad+Max order, I believe in the company enough to also own stock; but the continuous removal of all the elements that set the truck apart (in my opinion) is getting discouraging. The process of pre-ordering and locking in the original pricing seemed great, specifically when Rivian was honoring the pre-order pricing on options and gear but removing them eliminated all the advantage of pre-order or early pricing. We now have to add gear and other upcoming options that were removed at whatever new pricing is set. I know the legal copy addresses their ability to make these changes but sad how different my truck looks now compared to what I was excited about the day I configured it. I'm going to wait until January to see if there are more details on the Quad+Max config. hope they give some pricing love to original Quad+Max orders for the new variant.

Config changes since ordering:
Camping Tent
Camp Kitchen
Gear Shuttle Tray for Gear Tunnel
Electric Tonneau
Accessories
Cargo Cross bars
Field Kit
Recovery Boards
Recovery Mounts
All Weather Floor Mat
Quad Motor + Max Pack
Systematically backing out of RJ’s commitment. With this latest, i am not sure what’s left of the original pricing.

Is there even still a price advantage over just simply placing an order today?

· Registered
44 Posts
Systematically backing out of RJ’s commitment. With this latest, i am not sure what’s left of the original pricing.
Unfortunately this does appear to be the case. I can’t really blame them though. I work for a major manufacturer and the price increases from the supply chain over the last three years have been absolutely astronomical. I don’t see any way they can continue to honor the reservation pricing much longer without incurring massive losses or jeopardizing the relationships with suppliers.

My dilemma has become, do I change from a max pack to a large pack just to have any hope of using my reservation with protected price? I don’t have much confidence in their hitting the late summer initial limited deliveries with the guaranteed slippage to all manufacturing timelines. I also foresee a slow ramp to full production volume of the new dual motor drivetrain as they will likely want to mitigate any quality issues with low initial volumes.

As you look across all the manufactures it doesn’t look like a 400mi truck option will be available for under $80k in the foreseeable future. The compromises with a 328mi large pack are starting to outweigh the unknowns/final cost of a 400+mi option for me. Maybe by 2026 there will be something available and I can upgrade. A lot to ponder.

· Registered
15 Posts
My question is going from quad motors to dual do you give up all to intelligence of a motor on each wheel that allows more drive control. On dual motor or is conventional slip differential etc.

· Super Moderator
570 Posts
I read the announcement somewhat differently:
"For price committed customers who preordered before 3/1/2022, choosing standard Dual-Motor AWD will lower your current price by $4,500 while the enhanced version will lower it by $2,000."
"We plan to add a Quad-Motor with additional capability at a later date that will pair with the Max pack. We will release pricing for this new variant closer to launch."

Sounds to me like they have made the decision to allow changing from Quad Max to Dual Max with a net cost savings for old reservation holders, instead of the as you said $8K increase.
To paraphrase Inigo Montoya from one of my favorite movies "I do not think [the Rivian email] means what you think it means."
Do we know for sure that what Rivian is offering QM Max "price committed customers" is the DM Max for $77,000 ($4,500 less than the pre-March $81,500 pricing)? The email refers to the "standard Dual-Motor AWD" without defining it, and while it makes sense to assume it's the Max, couldn't the reference just as easily be to the as yet unreleased smaller battery that is called the Standard pack on the Rivian website?

· Registered
15 Posts
The Max Pac was to be 180.0-kWh for 400-mile range with quad motors.
I think Rivian just can not deliver that. So to maintain the 400-mile range with a dual motor using a smaller battery pack.

· Registered
157 Posts
I'm still trying to understand what 640km is. All joking aside; have we considered that the quad motor is outsourced and the dual will be build in-house. Does anyone know which one might be of a higher quality. I'd love to have the extra range but not that concerned about range as I am about the different motors. It would have been funny if Rivian came out with the dual motor first and then the quad. Then people like me would have been complaining about the 0-60 times. Merry Christmas to all. May there be peace on earth.

· Registered
15 Posts
I gave up the Max Battery for the quad motor.
Note differences in drive mode dual vs quad motor.

Drive Modes
Depending on the mode you select, you can adjust the ride height, suspension stiffness, accelerator pedal response, all-wheel drive system and more to optimize comfort, efficiency or performance.

All Purpose
This mode adapts to most driving situations automatically. It keeps the suspension at the standard height around town to absorb bumps and potholes, and lowers the suspension for better aerodynamics and increased range at highway speeds.

Sport
By lowering and stiffening the suspension, this mode significantly reduces body lean in turns. Combined with enhanced torque vectoring, Sport mode provides exceptional cornering performance. It also adjusts the vehicle’s accelerator pedal response to provide even greater acceleration.

Off-Road Auto
This is the standard off-road setting for light off-roading on dirt roads and trails. This mode increases the R1T’s ride height to increase wheel travel and softens the suspension for a smoother ride over bumps and potholes.

Off-Road Rock Crawl
This mode is designed for the most challenging off-road situations, such as climbing over rocks or steep grades. It sets the ride height to high — balancing stability with clearance — with room to go higher when you need to. Vehicles equipped with Quad-Motor AWD can also manage the torque for each wheel independently for precise, slow-speed maneuvering over rugged obstacles.

Off-Road Rally
Designed for higher off-road speeds on gravel roads, this mode activates torque vectoring to proactively distribute power between all four wheels (front to rear only on Dual-Motor), while modifying the traction and stability control systems to provide excellent performance and control.

Off-Road Drift
This mode is for advanced drivers wanting to drift their R1T on a closed course. It uses torque vectoring to proactively distribute power between all four wheels (front to rear only on Dual-Motor), and significantly reduces traction control intervention, increasing the fun-to-drive experience in snow, sand and loose dirt.

Conserve
Designed to optimize range for longer trips, this mode switches the R1T to front-wheel drive only and lowers the vehicle into a more aerodynamic stance at highway speeds.

Tow Mode
This mode keeps the R1T in all-wheel drive and provides maximum available torque, enabling you to pull up to 11,000 pounds. Trailer brake gain controls are built in for additional stopping power.

*We are constantly innovating to add more drive modes. This list is not representative of the full suite of drive modes offered. Please tread lightly and responsibly wherever you go.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts