Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to get some opinions on when we might actually see the Max Pack. I assume that there will have to be some real world testing of the Max Pack. My question is, how long after we see the Max in testing will it take to hit production. Anyone been following how long the testing to production time frame usually follows? I'm thinking a year from testing, but that's just a "WAG" wild ass guess on my part.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
191 Posts
You assume you haven't seen any testing yet. You can't tell from looking at them. Still, I wouldn't expect them until the first half of next year as Rivian has already said. That could mean January or it could mean the end of May. I would lean toward the latter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct about not knowing whether they are actually testing the MAX now. At some point they will have to allow the EPA or who ever determines range certifications to start the testing process. Any clue on how long the certification process is once the Government gets a hold of a Max Pack?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You are correct about not knowing whether they are actually testing the MAX now. At some point they will have to allow the EPA or who ever determines range certifications to start the testing process. Any clue on how long the certification process is once the Government gets a hold of a Max Pack?
I don’t think the gov actually tests…. The manufacturer tests and submits their own findings for approval.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm wanting to get some opinions on when we might actually see the Max Pack. I assume that there will have to be some real world testing of the Max Pack. My question is, how long after we see the Max in testing will it take to hit production. Anyone been following how long the testing to production time frame usually follows? I'm thinking a year from testing, but that's just a "WAG" wild ass guess on my part.
Solid information on the larger battery version of the R1S has been pretty hard to come by.
I've asked Rivian CS many times about the R1S Max, beginning nearly two years ago. The Rivian response has always been rather nebulous, perhaps because the R1S Max has not been able to successfully progress through the design phase.

Back in November of 2020, when I first asked about timing for the Max, CS told me that "The R1S will initially be available with our Large Pack, 300+ mile range. While there are plans to offer future R1S battery packs, there is no set production date or cost." Subsequent inquiries have yielded even less information, though, I have learned something useful. Rivian reps have always been very careful to not use the term "Max" and refer to an R1S variant with a higher capacity battery pack as the "Longer Range" model.

Reading between the lines, it would seem that this is because the larger battery for the R1S will not have the same 180 kWh capacity as used in the R1T Max and hence will have less range. As to timing, CS has always been careful to use very qualified language, similar to that in their Nov 2020 response. During my latest inquiry, perhaps a month ago, CS would say only the are working on a longer range R1S and hope to have more information in the near future.

It's also important to note that though earlier iterations of the Rivian website referenced a Max version, that language was scrubbed at some point. Until recently, there has been some language on the website about a larger battery pack being available in the future, but this too seems to have been deleted.

My guess - and I'll stress it's only a guess - is that Rivian has been struggling to come up with a good design solution for the larger battery in the smaller confines of the R1S. Given the time that's elapsed, and the dearth of information on the larger battery, I suspect that the production design has not yet been finalized. If this is the case, we are not yet even at the testing stage, and are unlikely to see an R1S Longer Range in production for some time.

Of course, most of the above is speculation, perhaps of the informed type, but speculation nonetheless. At present, I think that the only thing that we can say with some certainty is that the R1S Longer Range battery will have less than 180 kWh capacity.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The range estimate that Rivian provides will be accurate. They know the miles per kWh of the Rivian from testing current pack and Rivians in the wild which are making or exceeding it. They'll know the kWh capacity of the larger battery so Rivian's stated range on the Max Pack will be accurate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts