Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
R1T
29 Posts
Yes- I think you are the first to mention a Max Pack config and hearing from Rivian.. I will be interested to hear how that goes. I ordered a Max pack as well, but not until October, 2021, and was told I won't see my R1T until late 2023..

Reactions: TessP100D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered 5/2019, have my guide call in 25mins for max pack order. I have a sneaking suspicion they are simply reaching out to see if i will take the regular battery size for a delivery date in the next few weeks, which i am not willing to do. Will let everyone know the crux of the conversation and options, etc. with not a single bit of info on the max pack range, EPA testing, etc., i would think we are still 6 months out!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am betting on that too. Basically testing the pre-order waters to see if any of you longer reservation holders are willing to switch to a different vehicle config just to move the process along. Probably all those vehicles will have the large pack and not the max pack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just got off the phone call. Super nice and professional and informative. But as predicted, no update on timing of max pack. He did say, internally that they should have more info this week on such. Also, that the fact that guides are assigned to max pack, he thinks deliveries will be soon than 1/2 half of 2023. He never pushed me switching to get one sooner, but possibly because i stated, i was only getting Rivian because of the 400 mile range. Will keep everyone updated, as i mentioned it has been 37 months since i reserved. I think i have owned 4 cars in that time frame. another car i just ordered is 3.5 years out as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Please keep us updated @lamontlawyer921!

My reservation date was May 2020 and since I tow, am also only interested in the Max pack offering. I intended to buy an R1S, and would still like to, but when the configurator went live, there was no option for an R1S Max. Rivian also removed all the language indicating when or even if that option would be available, and now refers only to a possible "longer range" battery alternative for the R1S. With no alternative regarding a larger capacity battery pack, I configuring an R1T Max, and got a first half 2023 delivery projection back in December.

I'm torn between taking delivery of the R1T with the Max, or kicking the can down the road in the fading hope that there will eventually be an enhanced range R1S offered, Unfortunately, not only is there no guarantee of that, Rivian CS has pretty much confirmed that any battery pack for the R1S will not have the same 180 kWh capacity as the current Max pack. They've been very careful to only use the term "longer range" with regard to a larger battery for the R1S when I've asked them about timing.

I have my doubts about a first half 2023 delivery for the R1T Max, so should have ample time to decide however. My doubts aside, I'm pulling for you to get yours early next year.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
just got off the phone call. Super nice and professional and informative. But as predicted, no update on timing of max pack. He did say, internally that they should have more info this week on such. Also, that the fact that guides are assigned to max pack, he thinks deliveries will be soon than 1/2 half of 2023. He never pushed me switching to get one sooner, but possibly because i stated, i was only getting Rivian because of the 400 mile range. Will keep everyone updated, as i mentioned it has been 37 months since i reserved. I think i have owned 4 cars in that time frame. another car i just ordered is 3.5 years out as well.
Thanks for the heads up @lamontlawyer921! Let's see if Rivian has a press release planned or something along those lines. What's the other car that you've ordered?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got done with email correspondence with my guide. Indeed, Rivian doesn’t plan on having Max pack until 2023. This guide setup was, again, to see if I’d switch to a large pack/ another configuration to get my truck sooner. Basically setting up the online dealership that is the R1 Shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My guide confirmed today, Maxpack RT1, first half 2023 roll-out. No idea why they are assigning guides to us, except for the prodding to switch to regular battery pack for quick delivery. Anyway, there you have it. I am in no rush, so not a big deal. looks like it will be 4 years for me from reservation date to delivery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered 5/2019, have my guide call in 25mins for max pack order. I have a sneaking suspicion they are simply reaching out to see if i will take the regular battery size for a delivery date in the next few weeks, which i am not willing to do. Will let everyone know the crux of the conversation and options, etc. with not a single bit of info on the max pack range, EPA testing, etc., i would think we are still 6 months out!
I ordered 4/2019, I have heard nothing since they tried to convince me to accept the smaller battery pack many months ago... I need the MAX Pack...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Randomly, got the Prelim Buyer Purchase Agreement today for signature via email. Signed and "sent" back asap. Again, strange since Max Battery is 6-12 months out. Not sure if Rivian system doesn't realize if I have max battery config, or what. Anyway, I will let you all know what happens next, aka if they put me in the 8 step mode, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Randomly, got the Prelim Buyer Purchase Agreement today for signature via email. Signed and "sent" back asap. Again, strange since Max Battery is 6-12 months out. Not sure if Rivian system doesn't realize if I have max battery config, or what. Anyway, I will let you all know what happens next, aka if they put me in the 8 step mode, etc.
Let us know how it goes, because all is Max Packers have our fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone heard where they're going to physically place the extra storage cells needed to get from "Large" to "Max Pack"? I asked my guide who didn't know; she checked internally and came back with what I interpreted as "it's not figured out yet" (which is fine). However, they really only have two choices: 1) new battery chemistry which I doubt because I think they have their hands full; or, 2) more cells of the same battery type. Presumably about 33% more cells which suggests 33% more weight and physical space needed. These are large packs.

I was worried that Max Pack = losing the gear tunnel, frunk, or spare tire.
The extra space has to come from somewhere. My guess is the spare tire goes bye-bye. Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Has anyone heard where they're going to physically place the extra storage cells needed to get from "Large" to "Max Pack"?
There appears to be space between the frame rails, behind the Large pack. I assume this will be used for at least part of the "Max" pack. There is a rumor that the underseat storage would also be taken up by batteries, but another rumor says that may not happen... We don't really know.

I doubt the spare will be lost.... But again, we don't know yet.

Automotive lighting Machine Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
There appears to be space between the frame rails, behind the Large pack. I assume this will be used for at least part of the "Max" pack. There is a rumor that the underseat storage would also be taken up by batteries, but another rumor says that may not happen... We don't really know.

I doubt the spare will be lost.... But again, we don't know yet.

View attachment 7342
Forgot about under back seat storage...probably a better candidate than losing a spare.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgot about under back seat storage...probably a better candidate than losing a spare.
I placed my preorder during the LA auto show (Dec 2018) for max pack, blue FE interior, off road & spare. Got a call Dec 2021 to see if I wanted to change config (battery config), said "NO, I'm have a knee replacement, I'll wait". Got another call June 6 about config. I had decided the max pack would not likely be in a regular customer truck until late 23 or sometime in 24. I decided to change & I just got my truck Aug 12. I put in another reservation Wednesday (10th). When that comes up, I want a max pack, 2 motor (right now). If everything goes well with the truck we got, I'll sell it for the max pack. If not, I might go with Silverado. By then, I may not want to make long trips or the infrastructure may be better out west.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I started a thread about being assigned a guide on 4 Aug for the R1T Max I have configured. I was surprised at getting a guide so early in the delivery process; per the Dec 2021 email, my window is 1H2023. When I started the thread, contact with my guide was only via email and I was surprised when I was told that there was no delivery info that was presently in my file. Of course, my first thought was my delivery was being pushed further to the right, so I scheduled a phone call with as soon as I could. I had a 45 minute conversation with him last Monday and found out a few things during the call.

It became apparent that the reason for the guide assignment at this juncture was to assist/persuade me to take advantage of the earlier delivery via a selection from the R1T Shop. I was assured that even though the R1T Shop was a great opportunity to get a Rivian much sooner, there was no obligation to do so and nothing would change relative to my existing order should I decide not to take advantage of the terrific opportunity.

When I asked about the delivery window for the Max, the guide stated that it looked like the delivery window notice that I received was removed from the current customer file as part of an update process. Apparently, many, perhaps all, who have delivery windows for 2023 will get new emails with revised delivery information "later this year, possibly in the Fall." When I asked if this meant that deliveries would shift, the response was not necessarily, and that the revisions would probably narrow the windows from six months to two. Of course, there was no word on whether the delivery would be sooner or later in the original six month window, which I took as meaning that there is significant potential for the new, revised window to now be sometime in the second half of 2023.

When I spoke with my guide, there was already a lot of buzz over the impact of the IRA on the EV tax credit rules, and he was happy to send me a Preliminary Buyer's Agreement. Rivian, subsequently became pro-active on the issue and pushed out PBA's to a large number of reservation holders. I actually held on to mine for a few days, because I had some further questions. The Tony email on the subject late last week actually answered those questions, and I executed the PBA after getting it.

I think that it's unlikely that will be any significant interaction with my guide until much closer to delivery. Based on Rivian history, I'd also bet that the email with the revised delivery window will be pushed out very late in the year, just as was the case in 2021. I fully expect that my original 1H2023 delivery window will become May-June in the revision, but honestly will not be surprised if it is revised to Nov-Dec 2023.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I reserved my R1T max pack, adv pkg, back in 12/2020. I just got an email from my guide to do the "get acquainted call" the last week of this month. Perhaps it's coincidence, but about a month ago I had inquired about the max pack date and when then couldn't answer the question I wrote them some constructive feedback. Maybe they'll try to talk me into the large pack. I'll post again by 9/30/22 with what I find out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone heard where they're going to physically place the extra storage cells needed to get from "Large" to "Max Pack"? I asked my guide who didn't know; she checked internally and came back with what I interpreted as "it's not figured out yet" (which is fine). However, they really only have two choices: 1) new battery chemistry which I doubt because I think they have their hands full; or, 2) more cells of the same battery type. Presumably about 33% more cells which suggests 33% more weight and physical space needed. These are large packs. I was worried that Max Pack = losing the gear tunnel, frunk, or spare tire. The extra space has to come from somewhere. My guess is the spare tire goes bye-bye. Anyone know about this?
Same spot and same ESS pack. Different Samsung cell. Will gain a little weight, but well worth it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Has anyone heard where they're going to physically place the extra storage cells needed to get from "Large" to "Max Pack"? I asked my guide who didn't know; she checked internally and came back with what I interpreted as "it's not figured out yet" (which is fine). . .
I've gotten some version of "we're working on that and hope to have more information in the near future" for nearly every question I've asked about the Max. I think it's likely that, as your guide's response hinted, Rivian hasn't determined the final production configuration for the additional Max battery cells.

If it is indeed the case that Rivian hasn't finalized development of the Max, that would mean that production planning hasn't started, which in turn will delay EPA Cert Testing. The end result would be a delay in adding the Max to the production mix, which of course would push back deliveries.

While all of the above is speculation, what is true is that Rivian has not provided any new information about the Max so far this year. I've always thought that the 1H2023 delivery window that was in the Dec '21 Rivian email was optimistic, and the lack of any update since that time does nothing but reinforce that feeling. I'm hoping that we'll learn more about the Max at the 3Q Earnings Call in early December.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts