Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me... or the news dying on the max pack for the R1S, plus the FAQ stating max pack only for R1T, and then Rivian making all R1S orders 7 seat... that a max pack for the R1S isn't going happen.

I really need that max pack in the R1S for my overlanding needs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I received an email today from Rivian CS indicating they will soon be announcing the availability of an R1S "Longer Range" battery pack, including pricing. At that time RS preorder holders can make the upgrade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh really? That's huge news. Did that email come unsolicited or did you ask?
I asked. Like you, I need the max to tow our travel trailer, especially across country. I was encouraged. Of course - not sure the cost yet. But I am willing to go with the two motor version and the max to save a bit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I asked. Like you, I need the max to tow our travel trailer, especially across country. I was encouraged. Of course - not sure the cost yet. But I am willing to go with the two motor version and the max to save a bit.
Which makes sense given your use. However, going with the two-motor version will put you behind all the current quad motor orders putting you in 2024 or beyond. Is that something you can live with?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh really? That's huge news. Did that email come unsolicited or did you ask?
I posted several times a month or two back that Rivian CS was no longer using "Max" to reference the larger battery pack for the R1S. The preferred term is apparently "Longer Range" which I took to mean that larger battery back for the R1S will not have the same 180 Kwh capacity as that for the R1T Max. Not a surprise given the issues with space in the 7 seat R1S. The Rivian website has been saying for months that there will be more information on the R1S Longer Range "in early 2022." As we are already closing out the first quarter of the new year, "early" must translate as "before the summer solstice."

I too plan to tow long distances and need the larger capacity battery battery. I'd consider the dual motor version, regardless of any cost saving, if tthere was an increase in range associated with that option. This appears not be the case unfortunately.

A quick look through the Rivian website shows only a trivial increase of 6 miles of range for the Dual Motor LR (320 miles vs 314 for the Quad LR). While we can't know what size battery pack the "Longer Range" R1S will feature, we can say for sure it will not be 180 Kwh. Given that the range differential between the Quad and Dual is trivial (the latter seems to offer less than a 2% range increase), it seems almost certain that we're looking at something less than 400 miles.
of range.

If it turns out that the R1S Longer Range offers under 400 miles of range while costing well north of $85k, I'm out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I posted several times a month or two back that Rivian CS was no longer using "Max" to reference the larger battery pack for the R1S. The preferred term is apparently "Longer Range" which I took to mean that larger battery back for the R1S will not have the same 180 Kwh capacity as that for the R1T Max. Not a surprise given the issues with space in the 7 seat R1S. The Rivian website has been saying for months that there will be more information on the R1S Longer Range "in early 2022." As we are already closing out the first quarter of the new year, "early" must translate as "before the summer solstice."

I too plan to tow long distances and need the larger capacity battery battery. I'd consider the dual motor version, regardless of any cost saving, if tthere was an increase in range associated with that option. This appears not be the case unfortunately.

A quick look through the Rivian website shows only a trivial increase of 6 miles of range for the Dual Motor LR (320 miles vs 314 for the Quad LR). While we can't know what size battery pack the "Longer Range" R1S will feature, we can say for sure it will not be 180 Kwh. Given that the range differential between the Quad and Dual is trivial (the latter seems to offer less than a 2% range increase), it seems almost certain that we're looking at something less than 400 miles.
of range.

If it turns out that the R1S Longer Range offers under 400 miles of range while costing well north of $85k, I'm out.
Wait & see for me - there aren't too many alternative EV-SUVs with over 6K towing capacity

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it just me... or the news dying on the max pack for the R1S, plus the FAQ stating max pack only for R1T, and then Rivian making all R1S orders 7 seat... that a max pack for the R1S isn't going happen.

I really need that max pack in the R1S for my overlanding needs.
I just received email from Rivian that my R1T Max Pak is scheduled first half 2023. And that I'll be able to see any changes to that delivery date on my order. Good news

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wait & see for me - there aren't too many alternative EV-SUVs with over 6K towing capacity
That's true right now, but should change as more and more manufacturers bring new models to market. I don't need that kind of tow capacity however.

My [email protected] has a dry weight less than 1,400 lbs and even with all tanks topped up and all other gear stowed in place, is still well under 2,000 pounds. Kia hasn't announced the towing capacity or range of their new (2023 model year) EV-9, but it's looking like that vehicle may be a suitable alternative to the R1S Longer Range. Another advantage is that the Kia (and its Hyundai sibling) may be available sooner than than the Rivian, given the continuing delays in the production of the R1S and in the development of the Longer Range battery pack for the SUV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts