Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
My original pre-order from November 2018 was for a max pack. i switched to the large pack to get my truck sooner. i got it in March and i love it and i am happy with the large pack, even 7k miles later. If you will do heavy towing over distance then you need the max pax, period. But for everyday driving, and the occasional boat trip to the local lake, the large pack is great. Hope this helps!

· Registered
3 Posts
I signed up for a Max Pack on an R1T in 9/20 and have been persuaded to hold out for it, because I need the range. I live in Wyoming, and while most of the time I’ll be driving the truck within a safe range near my home, the reason I ordered it was for trips - to Death Valley, to White Sands, to Moab and Telluride. That extra 100 miles range means I can likely get from Jackson Hole to Moab on ‘one tank”, so to speak.

The only official information I’ve gotten from Rivian is that my delivery window is 1st Half 2023. So, I’ve been preparing for that. I recently was told unofficially by someone who works at Rivian that production on the Max Pack will begin in early 2023. In an official communication with Customer Service, I was urged to hang on before switching to a Large Pack, and I’m going to do so. My reasoning is that, first, I need that range out here in the West. Second, I’ve already been prepared to wait til June 2023 to get my truck. Third, I can’t believe there are all that many people who are ahead of my 9/20 order for a Max Pack, so when they go online, I’ll get one pretty quickly.

But if it appears that envelope is going to push beyond 1st Half 2023, I’ll switch to a Large Pack. Regrettably, as I know that 100 miles is needed for the distances one travels out West, where the charging network is just getting built out.

· Registered
50 Posts
I signed up for a Max Pack on an R1T in 9/20 and have been persuaded to hold out for it, because I need the range. I live in Wyoming, and while most of the time I’ll be driving the truck within a safe range near my home, the reason I ordered it was for trips - to Death Valley, to White Sands, to Moab and Telluride. That extra 100 miles range means I can likely get from Jackson Hole to Moab on ‘one tank”, so to speak.

The only official information I’ve gotten from Rivian is that my delivery window is 1st Half 2023. So, I’ve been preparing for that. I recently was told unofficially by someone who works at Rivian that production on the Max Pack will begin in early 2023. In an official communication with Customer Service, I was urged to hang on before switching to a Large Pack, and I’m going to do so. My reasoning is that, first, I need that range out here in the West. Second, I’ve already been prepared to wait til June 2023 to get my truck. Third, I can’t believe there are all that many people who are ahead of my 9/20 order for a Max Pack, so when they go online, I’ll get one pretty quickly.

But if it appears that envelope is going to push beyond 1st Half 2023, I’ll switch to a Large Pack. Regrettably, as I know that 100 miles is needed for the distances one travels out West, where the charging network is just getting built out.
well-said. I'm almost definitely going to hold out and that sounds like some good "insider" info. I didn't order until 11/21, a Max Pack Adventure. Last estimate I heard was 2H 2023.
In addition to density out west, it will also be nice on shorter trips that might need just one stop before charging hopefully at destination not to have to stop for as long.

· Registered
5 Posts
I was a Max Pack order, gave up on that to drive the truck now.

No regrets, enjoying the truck daily. Particularly after getting the home charger installed the range thing is really only relevant for when we tow and we don't tow that often. Thus, 99 percent of the time the 'Large' battery is serving 100 percent of our range needs and it cost less, weighs less, and we are driving it now.
When did you put in your initial reservation and when did you get the vehicle? Asking because I have been on the waiting list for 13 months. Thanks for a reply.

· Super Moderator
572 Posts

There's at least one ahead of you in line for a Max (5/20) . . .

The Dec 2021 email said my delivery window is the same,1H2023. My recently assigned Rivian guide could not offer much beyond that, other than saying there should be new delivery windows coming before the end of the year, and they should be more targeted, meaning a two-month window. My guess is that I will be sometime in 2Q2023, strictly because I'm sure that I'm not all that near the front of the queue.

BTW, I'm pretty familiar with much of the region your drives take you to. I get there after driving from PA though, and in the winter. I suspect that the Max is more or less essential to manage range anxiety on those trips, both because of the charging infrastructure and the extreme temperatures, snow and high winds that are often encountered. I can only wonder how much range will be impacted during a long drive in sub-zero temps, but I'm sure that the Max will help enormously.

· Registered
22 Posts
I’m an early 2021 preorder holder. I’ve had a max pack configured since I placed my deposit and have been committed to it. I have felt like I need the extra range for towing a wake boat (about 7k lbs with trailer).
I’m now questioning it. I always thought 100 miles for $10k was steep. If the current federal tax bill passed my configuration will no longer qualify for the $7500 rebate. Now it’s 100 miles for $17500?
To further complicate my decision I’m realizing 99% of the time a usable range of 100 miles while towing would be adequate and after talking with CS today I’m more and more convinced that the Max Pack is still in the design phase with no intention of production in meaningful numbers before 2024 and that’s “if” things go well.
Can’t believe I’m even hearing myself say it, but I think I’m leaning toward switching to the large pack. Curious what others thoughts are.
Chatted today w Rivian.
Their reply: We are working to help interested preorder holders and customers obtain a written, binding contract to purchase and secure EV tax credit eligibility. We'll be sharing more information and next steps very shortly

· Registered
22 Posts
Those who either have access to the R1T Shop, or who have been assigned a guide, should be able to request a Preliminary Buyer's Agreement from Rivian. The agreement is esigned by Rivian and is effective once you've signed and electronically returned.

Whether the IRS will allow the use of the PBA to qualify for the tax credit is still an open question. I seem to remember from the one tax class I had in grad school that any enrolled agent can a petition for review to the Tax Court, so perhaps someone will do that and give us a better idea of what we can expect.
Received chat answer today: We are working to help interested preorder holders and customers obtain a written, binding contract to purchase and secure EV tax credit eligibility. We'll be sharing more information and next steps very shortly

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@Bgrable do you have an S or T on order? I really think my Max Pack R1T will be delivered 2H of 2023 if they get anywhere near their production goals. Hopefully we'll learn a bit more during earnings release this week.
R1T. Perhaps I’m being pessimist, I certainly hope so but if I stick with Max Pack I think it’s a pretty safe bet that I won’t be offers a vehicle until 2024. Hope to be wrong……

· Super Moderator
572 Posts
Received chat answer today: We are working to help interested preorder holders and customers obtain a written, binding contract to purchase and secure EV tax credit eligibility. We'll be sharing more information and next steps very shortly
Just got the email from Rivian on a PBA and assume that it's been broadcast to all eligible pre-order holders.

· Super Moderator
572 Posts
Same thing, a bigger battery than the current 314 range standards.

I'd hope to trade down from four motor to two and trade up to bigger battery, both options would increase range.
My off-roading consists of occasionally towing a trailer on a rutted gravel fire road, a task for which the dual-motor is more than sufficient. I'd gladly change to the dual to get more range, but it hardly seems worth it, at least at this juncture.

I think the EPA number for the R1S dual-motor is 320 miles with the LR 135 kWh battery, less than a 2% improvement over the quad-motor at 315 miles.

· Registered
17 Posts
Same boat as all of you. Wondering…if we change config to the large pack for earlier delivery, would there potentially be an option to upgrade range in the future? Or are we stuck with an R1T that could potentially lose tons of value once max packs are in full assembly/delivery and on the roads.

· Super Moderator
572 Posts
Same boat as all of you. Wondering…if we change config to the large pack for earlier delivery, would there potentially be an option to upgrade range in the future? Or are we stuck with an R1T that could potentially lose tons of value once max packs are in full assembly/delivery and on the roads.
I'm reasonably sure that each battery pack is physically different, with the Long Range battery pack consisting of X number of cells and the Max battery pack having perhaps 1.33X cells (a notional approximation, based on the kWh delta). There would not be an upgrade path.

While I expect that resale prices for the R1T will drop substantially in the near future, the decline will be due primarily to the increased supply of EV's, and not to the introduction of the Max.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The “upgrade” question is kind of interesting. There has to be a way to replace a battery pack. When that day comes would it be possible to upgrade to a larger or max pack? Guess it really depends on where the larger packs occupy space and that I don’t think Rivian has revealed. Hopefully it will be a moot point and the original pack will either last the life of the vehicle or be replaced with a vastly superior battery by the time it needs to be replaced.

· Registered
18 Posts
The “upgrade” question is kind of interesting. There has to be a way to replace a battery pack. When that day comes would it be possible to upgrade to a larger or max pack? Guess it really depends on where the larger packs occupy space and that I don’t think Rivian has revealed. Hopefully it will be a moot point and the original pack will either last the life of the vehicle or be replaced with a vastly superior battery by the time it needs to be replaced.
A couple months ago I saw a Munro video that shows the 9-module (large) pack teardown

I didn't go back and re-watch it, but don't think the video speculates on the future max configuration at all, but there were some interesting thoughts on it in the comments that might be of interest:

Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel

· Registered
17 Posts
I'm reasonably sure that each battery pack is physically different, with the Long Range battery pack consisting of X number of cells and the Max battery pack having perhaps 1.33X cells (a notional approximation, based on the kWh delta). There would not be an upgrade path.

While I expect that resale prices for the R1T will drop substantially in the near future, the decline will be due primarily to the increased supply of EV's, and not to the introduction of the Max.
Even still, one has to wonder once the max pack is rolling out and then established. Assuming we’re all Rivian family and similarly like-minded…what the atmosphere will be like for some 2/3 of the fleet driving around the large pack while the rest of us are driving the ‘superior’ version with an extra 100mile range. It’ll be different from comparing trims on ICE vehicles since it’s about “fuel economy”. As in I’m willing to bet there will be a large demand or even rush to “upgrade” their batteries, sell/trade in, for the max. Just food for thought. I may cave and switch to the large pack if they don’t give us any news about the max by Q4.

· Super Moderator
572 Posts
Even still, one has to wonder once the max pack is rolling out and then established. Assuming we’re all Rivian family and similarly like-minded…what the atmosphere will be like for some 2/3 of the fleet driving around the large pack while the rest of us are driving the ‘superior’ version with an extra 100mile range. It’ll be different from comparing trims on ICE vehicles since it’s about “fuel economy”. As in I’m willing to bet there will be a large demand or even rush to “upgrade” their batteries, sell/trade in, for the max. Just food for thought. I may cave and switch to the large pack if they don’t give us any news about the max by Q4.
There actually has been some news and movement on the Max.

The email I got back in Dec '21 gave a delivery window of 1H2023 for the R1T Max I have configured. I was recently assigned a Rivian guide and thought that meant that my delivery was going to be sooner rather than later. As it turns out, that's not really the case and it seems like the reason for the guide at this juncture was to facilitate a purchase of a Long Range from the R1T Shop. That won't be happening; I've waited 2-1/2 years for the larger battery and another a year or two no longer matters much and in fact, is beneficial as it allows for more charging infrastructure growth.

Though my guide was unable to offer any new information on Max delivery, he say that he believed that there may be another email in the Fall or Winter with a revised window. When pressed, he said he thought that the email would likely reduce the window from 6 months to 2, but that did not necessarily mean earlier delivery. If the past is prologue, I expect an email this December telling me that the delivery window for my R1T Max is Jan-Feb 2024.

So, expect some news about the Max by Q4, just don't expect it to be good.

· Super Moderator
572 Posts
I changed to the large pack sometime back but still no word as to how long I still need to wait. I reserved July of 21. Has anyone heard how far down the list is being deliverd?
Rivian does not seem to be fulfilling orders based on when you reserved. From what I can tell, what you ordered and where you live are more important than when you placed your order. It's possible that you may get your R1T quicker than you think if you live near a Service Center and ordered an Adventure LR with a powered tonneau cover, but not an Ocean Coast interior.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts