Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone needs to make a market … I for one am doing some price discovery and I’ll be transferring my account before my guide reaches out.

See other post/thread re: my R1T LE preorder slated for delivery April/May

·
Registered
418 Posts
Everybody seems to ignore the document they signed with deposit. Doesn't seem fair to actual buyers if people who are not planning to own the truck can sell the reservation to a latecomer. Kind of money over ethics that lead to the rescinding of the price increase.

13. Assignment
You may not assign your rights under these Terms without our express prior consent. Rivian may assign these Terms or your Preorder Fee in our discretion without your consent. Any assignment in violation of this Agreement will be null and void.

14. No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation
Rivian and its affiliates may unilaterally cancel any Preorder that we believe has been made with the intent to resell the Vehicle or otherwise has been made in bad faith. Rivian may also cancel your Preorder if a vehicle, product, feature, or option is discontinued after you place your Preorder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be fair, I’ve asked Support, and spoken with two ‘managers’ and none of them have indicated in any way that this is prohibited.

I spelled out clearly what I planned to do and they said “I don’t have any information for you on that”

Is there anywhere a Rivian authority has addressed this concern publicly?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think the point is that you're taking a risk .. precisely because of the written rules and the lack of information otherwise. Just because they don't have information for you doesn't mean it's going to be supported. Aside from the ethical issues where we as the community have a diversity of views, I just have a hard time imagining how this is practical in a craigslist sort of way. Rivian has no responsibility to the guy who buys a preorder. That's just a fact. And so if you buy a preorder from someone you take a risk. That's all.

·
Registered
418 Posts
To be fair, I’ve asked Support, and spoken with two ‘managers’ and none of them have indicated in any way that this is prohibited.

I spelled out clearly what I planned to do and they said “I don’t have any information for you on that”

Is there anywhere a Rivian authority has addressed this concern publicly?
Clearly they are wrong. It claims to be a legal document so if order holder challenged Rivian for not abiding by it looks like it could get messy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems to be a consensus to not support off book transfers. I’ll likely to take my proposal direct to Rivian and ask them to say yes/no … we deserve more clarity on this topic.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Seems to be a consensus to not support off book transfers. I’ll likely to take my proposal direct to Rivian and ask them to say yes/no … we deserve more clarity on this topic.
I asked Rivian to abide by their own rules. If they want to change the rules then, similar to the pricing, announce a change to the rules effective on that date.

If some folks want out, then everybody moves up.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I asked Rivian to abide by their own rules. If they want to change the rules then, similar to the pricing, announce a change to the rules effective on that date.

If some folks want out, then everybody moves up.
I’m fine if Rivian wants to facilitate a reservation transfer, it has to be processed through Rivian for a 25% non-refundable charge of reservation total payable to Rivian at time of transfer and the order locked from allowing changes.

Otherwise, enforce the policy, make the reservation holder complete the sales process, then they can do whatever they please with their used vehicle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I sold my reservation 3/2, not to make a huge profit but just to recoup some of the opportunity cost of having my $1000 earning 0 return since Oct. 2020.

After the walkback on the price announcement, I reached out to admit I reacted too quickly and see if I could get another LE spot. They advised that they won't sell the vehicle to anyone but me regardless of who controls the account. I hope my buyer doesn't get shut out like that, but that's the feedback I received.

BE CAREFUL, you could end up w/ nothing after buying a reservation.

·
Registered
418 Posts
They advised that they won't sell the vehicle to anyone but me regardless of who controls the account.
So in your case Rivian went by the rules of the agreement though it sounds like they will re-instate your order as they stated they would with any cancellation between date of date of the 1st announcement and March 1 2022.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So in your case Rivian went by the rules of the agreement though it sounds like they will re-instate your order as they stated they would with any cancellation between date of date of the 1st announcement and March 1 2022.
My order was never canceled, and I gave up control of the account. I'd love to have a 2nd chance at my LE, but mentally I've already moved onto the Model Y Performance I recently ordered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congratulations on any good deal you make for yourself ... any profit is a good one in my opinion, and 2000% in 2 years is a fantastic one. The business side of me thought of doing the same. The curious side of me however wants to experience the Rivian. People on this forum getting upset over the decisions of others is ridiculous. I also don't understand the need to announce personal intentions on public forums, this is not a marketing platform. Why not take possession as intended, gain the tax break and then roll? Selling the pre-order, place in line or whatever you want to call it, here, is only creating complications. I'm curious though, after selling.... what are you thinking of driving since you won't have the Rivian? I love my 2019 Dodge Ram Limited 23K miles, but I won't be needing it when my Rivian is delivered. My window is currently last quarter this year.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
603 Posts
As a moderator here, I’ve given this issue some serious thought over the past few months and also discussed it with the forum administrator. In addition, I called CS to hear what they had to say first hand. So after all of that, and Rivian’s inability to take a strong and clear stance on their intent to enforce the terms of the preorder agreement, I won’t be doing an all out ban on posts offering to buy or sell preorders.

That being said, I will (and already have) ban members and delete posts where it appears their only purpose for being here is buying/selling reservations. This forum is for discussion, not your free classified ad board. So if that’s your only reason for being here, move on. @Chris S is a perfect example of someone who’s been a long time valuable member beyond his posts regarding selling his reservation.

And my final comment is CAVEAT EMPTOR!!! Buyer beware. The Rivian policies are very clear on this topic. If you buy or sell your preorder in violation of those polices, YOU are assuming the risks associated with that decision. Personally I think it’s extremely risky and would not recommend anyone do it, but each person has their own levels of risk tolerance. If you enter into a transaction of this type and it goes south either due to Rivian enforcing their policies or one of the parties to the transaction not fulfilling their commitment, that’s on you.

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
So after all of that, and Rivian’s inability to take a strong and clear stance on their intent to enforce the terms of the preorder agreement
In addition to the stated contract rules for the deposit which forbid sale or trading, I think Rivian's written response for clarification was strong and clear.

We do not allow the transference of preorders at this time. We have no formal process for this. If individuals are doing this without our knowledge, they are doing so without our permission.
Do think there is a bit of ethics issue as people who really want to buy a Rivian and put in their deposits are getting line jumped by people who did not and by people who had no intention of owning a Rivian just on getting a reservation to sell the reservation. Those that buy it and then sell it, nothing you can about that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In addition to the stated contract rules for the deposit which forbid sale or trading, I think Rivian's written response for clarification was strong and clear.

Do think there is a bit of ethics issue as people who really want to buy a Rivian and put in their deposits are getting line jumped by people who did not and by people who had no intention of owning a Rivian just on getting a reservation to sell the reservation. Those that buy it and then sell it, nothing you can about that.
I don't agree or disagree with it, but I don't think it's a line jump. Preorder's are going to get their vehicle when they're supposed to get it. If someone ahead of them in the que decides to sell, it's their business. The people buying on the secondary market are paying a huge price not to wait on line, but they're not jumping it. It's not happening with only Rivian. A friend of mine that owns a GMC store is getting calls left and right from exporters doing the same with the Hummer. He told me a customer bought a Hummer for $135K and sold at auction for $255K. I should have preordered one of those too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts