Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on 1/4/2022 by Motor Authority:
Let’s make the Rivian R1T better (motorauthority.com)

Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto)
Rivian doesn’t offer Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in the R1T. We’d ding any vehicle for lacking these very useful features that let people bring the capabilities of their smartphones into their vehicles. A Rivian spokesperson confirmed the company has no current plans to integrate either system into the R1T. Having spent time with the truck, I can understand why Rivian would favor its native system given how it’s layered with sliding tabs and drawers. Adding ACP or AA would make things messier for Rivian. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t be done. It just wasn’t. Sorry, no Waze for you, Rivian drivers.

I have been pretty much a die-hard Rivian fan, but with lack of AA, ACP, and satellite radio, I'm not sure if I will proceed with my order in 2023. It seems very short sighted on Rivian's part to not built these features into their systems.

It is crazy for a "go anywhere" truck to not have at least have satellite radio for when you are out in the middle of nowhere without cell coverage.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Obvious lock-up based on the AMZN relationship... That window will eventually expire and Rivian will regain its autonomy (unless AMZN buys RIVN).

·
Registered
44 Posts
This does suck. My 2015 Lexus doesn't have Android Auto and I was looking forward to that in my next vehicle. My R1S spec is over $100K in Canadian dollars and I'm irked that I can't get this basic additional convenience available with most newer vehicles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Posted on 1/4/2022 by Motor Authority:
Let’s make the Rivian R1T better (motorauthority.com)

Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto)
Rivian doesn’t offer Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in the R1T. We’d ding any vehicle for lacking these very useful features that let people bring the capabilities of their smartphones into their vehicles. A Rivian spokesperson confirmed the company has no current plans to integrate either system into the R1T. Having spent time with the truck, I can understand why Rivian would favor its native system given how it’s layered with sliding tabs and drawers. Adding ACP or AA would make things messier for Rivian. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t be done. It just wasn’t. Sorry, no Waze for you, Rivian drivers.

I have been pretty much a die-hard Rivian fan, but with lack of AA, ACP, and satellite radio, I'm not sure if I will proceed with my order in 2023. It seems very short sighted on Rivian's part to not built these features into their systems.

It is crazy for a "go anywhere" truck to not have at least have satellite radio for when you are out in the middle of nowhere without cell coverage.
Years -planning this truck. YEARS.
end the end. Its so short sighted.
‘’get your 2023-2024 top,of the line new Rivian Truck… only it isn’t.

·
Registered
566 Posts
While my 2012 Silverado has Apple CarPlay (and is absolutely awesome with Waze, Spotify, impeccable hands-free Siri voice commands, etc.), I get it via an aftermarket stereo upgrade... No, I'm not going to be ripping out my Rivian Meridien sound system or touchscreens anytime soon, but I will figure out a hack!!! LOL. :devilish:

One of the most glaring & gaping holes for OEM's these days is NOT to include AP/AA support in new vehicles. The smart OEM's have learned this lesson and already evolved.

While a car can certainly become an "Adventure Vehicle", a Rivian will never be your "Adventure Smartphone". Sorry! Once you are parked and walk away, it's game over. You will never take your Rivian infotainment system with you on a hike or a ski... No, you will take your Smartphone with millions of developer hours and all of your favorite functionality along with you in your pocket, and you will have access to your adventure vehicle from that device remotely.

Rather ironic when you think about it...

Imagine if Apple didn't allow OEM's to push their Apps to the App Store? Imagine if Apple said, "sorry Rivian, no Rivian App for you without Apple Carplay support in your vehicles!" 🔨

·
Registered
Jeep JLU Rubicon
27 Posts
i hope the at least have apple music as an app like Spotify. The amazon partnership shouldn't stop it cuz even my amazon echo integrates with apple music.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
77 Posts
We have Apple Carplay on the ID.4 and have used it on a few rentals. I personally prefer the Tesla infotainment over the ID.4 system with Carplay. Everything on the Tesla is integrated seamlessly, Carplay on the ID.4 is great until you need to access an ID.4 function and it all becomes a mess. There is no fluidity between Carplay and the rest of the ID.4 systems.

Carplay is wonderful in rental cars as all my info quickly ports to the system; for my own car, I prefer a system that integrates with the car. If Rivian can get their system to integrate like Tesla; I am perfectly happy with no CP/AA.

It is interesting the the quote is, "A Rivian spokesperson confirmed the company has no current plans to integrate either system into the R1T. " It leaves open future plans.

Reactions: Gabe1Aron

·
Registered
417 Posts
If Rivian lets a browser window run on the main display while driving, you might be able to use Teslawaze for nav?

And, where there is cell coverage- stream the SXM app via BT from your phone to the truck.

Both workarounds that shouldn't be necessary, but at least they're available....

·
Registered
29 Posts
When we first got our Expedition with Sync 3 we barely used Carplay. After a road trip to move to a new state using it the whole time it changed my mind and I use it every time I drive now. Handling voice messages which Sync can't do and the built-in maps in the system are just average. They do update Sync often and that has made the maps much better than before but to still have the option of Apple, Google, or other maps with Carplay is superior.

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have Apple Carplay on the ID.4 and have used it on a few rentals. I personally prefer the Tesla infotainment over the ID.4 system with Carplay. Everything on the Tesla is integrated seamlessly, Carplay on the ID.4 is great until you need to access an ID.4 function and it all becomes a mess. There is no fluidity between Carplay and the rest of the ID.4 systems.

Carplay is wonderful in rental cars as all my info quickly ports to the system; for my own car, I prefer a system that integrates with the car. If Rivian can get their system to integrate like Tesla; I am perfectly happy with no CP/AA.

It is interesting the the quote is, "A Rivian spokesperson confirmed the company has no current plans to integrate either system into the R1T. " It leaves open future plans.
Several members have contacted Rivian support about the lack AP/AA/Satellite and we all get the same answer with "Yes several members have requested this feature...". Personally, I do not use AP or AA but I due use satellite radio in both my 2012 Cadillac SRX and 2016 Kia Soul EV. AP or AA would be somewhat of a work around but then it relies on cell towers. This is 2022!

Come on Rivian!!! It's not right to ask potential customers to plunk down tons of money on an high end vehicle with a wishy washy response meaning maybe they will and maybe they won't include features that many drivers use on a daily basis. I'll get off of my soapbox now... :cool:

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But you can play Apple Music on iPhone and connect thru Bluetooth though, right?
Yes you can, but it's clearly not safe to operate your phone while driving as opposed to a display on a console, an better yet if you can control limit functions from the steering wheel like one can in other AA/AP enabled vehicles.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well the Silverado has AA/CP and SXM (I even had them on my 2017 Bolt and they all worked great!)... so maybe Rivian will seriously start to reconsider their positions based on the competition?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i hope the at least have apple music as an app like Spotify. The amazon partnership shouldn't stop it cuz even my amazon echo integrates with apple music.
Considering Amazon has now partnered with Stellantis, I say it's Game On now to add in CP/AA since there is no more loyalty from Amazon.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Considering Amazon has now partnered with Stellantis, I say it's Game On now to add in CP/AA since there is no more loyalty from Amazon.
The Amazon/Stellantis partnership is for commercial delivery vehicles, here we are discussing Consumer/Retail vehicles....

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Amazon/Stellantis partnership is for commercial delivery vehicles, here we are discussing Consumer/Retail vehicles....
More the point that Amazon/Bezos backing Rivian as a whole I'm sure had a bit of leverage over the lack of CP/AA support in the R1T/ R1S in addition with of their VAN order pressure they are putting on Rivian.

Just as Amazon will have leverage with Stellantis.
Amazon is Buying Stellantis Electric Delivery Vans
Amazon will buy Stellantis electric vans along with helping Stellantis by developing cars and trucks with their own software, like Rivian.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, as reservation holders, if we want AA/CP each one of us should call/message Rivian and make them aware of our position. I've called and messaged them already regarding AA/CP..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am going to try Rivian’s infotainment system before I complain about it not having CarPlay. Tesla does not have CarPlay and they seem to be very popular right now. I currently don’t have CarPlay in any of my cars but I have used it. If I was Rivian, I would not want to my infotainment system to be the same as a Honda Accord’s. Rivian wants to control that screen and not have Apple or Google take it over. Just give them a chance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts