Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
75 Posts
That's not how carplay works
That's how it works on the ID.4. You need to close out Car Play if you want to change temperature or any other functions for the car.

·
Registered
975 Posts
That's how it works on the ID.4. You need to close out Car Play if you want to change temperature or any other functions for the car.
Not all car manufacturers do that. Volvo, for example, puts CarPlay in a window and shows additional information and allows you to interact with other functions while CarPlay is up.

Mobile phone Telephone Telephony Vehicle Automotive design

the point is this demonstrates theyre not “all the same” and Vehicle manufacturers still retain their own unique systems and identity, if they want to.

·
Registered
R1S Adventure ordered 10/27/2021), Red, Large battery (want Max, tho)
12 Posts
I would really like carplay. That said, if it doesn't have it, it would not be a major issue. Hopefully you can still plug in or bluetooth from your phone and be able to control the songs and select playlists.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Looks like that is how it works. Takes up the whole screen.
It can be integrated in different ways. Bigger screens can provide more options for integration.

From the Apple Carplay Developer site:

"Apps by automakers can provide vehicle-specific controls and displays to keep drivers connected without leaving CarPlay"

People interested in using carplay aren't trying to replace their infotainment system, or in this case, any Rivian-specific functionality. No, they are simply trying to leverage the functionality they get seamlessly through their smartphones, and through their favorite apps. And sorry, Rivian isn't building the apps users want in Carplay, and Rivian is never going to be better than Apple or Android when it comes to usability, voice recognition services or portable of those services via your smartphone when you leave your Rivian. You ain't taking your Rivian infotainment system out of the car to replace your smartphone anytime soon, and when OEM's ignore this, the hubris of automakers is most apparent.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Obvious lock-up based on the AMZN relationship... That window will eventually expire and Rivian will regain its autonomy (unless AMZN buys RIVN).
I dont buy this speculation that Amazon is the reason for leaving it out. It seems the Tesla influence and data retention is the driver imo.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I dont buy this speculation that Amazon is the reason for leaving it out. It seems the Tesla influence and data retention is the driver imo.
Isn’t Rivian they’re own company? Why do tiny need to have their decisions influenced by Tesla?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Isn’t Rivian they’re own company? Why do tiny need to have their decisions influenced by Tesla?
They have a lot of ex-tesla employees. Past experience of philosophies are typically going to influence future decisions. Especially if they think they were good decisions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Doesn't preclude them from using AA/CP. Lucid has "deep alexa integration" as well, and also supports AA/CP. Further, having Alexa integrated into the vehicle to drive voice commands, even if that were tied with an exclusivity agreement, is different than saying a version of "Amazon invested in Rivian, therefore they decreed that Rivian shall not have CP/AA."

They're obviously going to have voice integration into the car. 98% of those systems suck. The voice integration with the native system on the Mach e sucked when I used it. It sucks on my ID.4. You know who's NLP doesn't suck? Amazon. Why wouldn't they use Alexa for that?

·
Registered
527 Posts
What most people don't seem to understand is that Rivian still gets all the most important driver data WITH Apple CarPlay. In fact, you can still use all of your functionality on-screen (while Carplay is working to to send Waze alerts, plays your music, or allows for hands-free voice control)... Even if you aren't using Rivian's native navigation on your screen, there is nothing preventing Rivian from knowing EXACTLY where you are at all times. Carplay doesn't replace all of the other functionality or obfuscate OEM data - it enhances and extends native smartphone functions via the screen. Andoid Auto is built to do the same, and BOTH can work within the same infotainment system... Just a question of which OS you have on your smartphone. That is all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What most people don't seem to understand is that Rivian still gets all the most important driver data WITH Apple CarPlay. In fact, you can still use all of your functionality on-screen (while Carplay is working to to send Waze alerts, plays your music, or allows for hands-free voice control)... Even if you aren't using Rivian's native navigation on your screen, there is nothing preventing Rivian from knowing EXACTLY where you are at all times. Carplay doesn't replace all of the other functionality or obfuscate OEM data - it enhances and extends native smartphone functions via the screen. Andoid Auto is built to do the same, and BOTH can work within the same infotainment system... Just a question of which OS you have on your smartphone. That is all.
Knowing where you are isn't all that's important data wise. Knowing some of the context is too. Want to do what you can to make sure the battery is at the right temp to DCFC? Know where you (the car) is going in the nav system and thsat youre on route to a charger. Allowing someone to navigate via CP doesn't help that.

That being said, i think that's secondary to them (and tesla) believing it results in an inferior experience and a loss of control over the experience of their products. Hence staff from Tesla and their experience may be a big influence there. From what I've seen, people that have cars and rely on either system, are also less likely to use the rest of the car's system. If they are attached to the CP ecosystem and not the Rivian one, they won't necessary know how to use the rest if the car properly (my wife barely knows half our Sensus UI features on the volvo), and presents fewer opportunities for reasons to subscribe to something Rivian.

I personally use AA, and am annoyed by the lack of it because I won't have as ready access to some apps I listen to, but if I were Rivian I wouldn't put AA or CP on my car either. Ignoring any potential current or future data or control asks that Apple or Google may have. The Amazon directive theory just makes very little sense to me.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts