Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

More bad news on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto 1-4-2022

12K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  Jwambaugh 
#1 ·
Posted on 1/4/2022 by Motor Authority:
Let’s make the Rivian R1T better (motorauthority.com)

Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto)
Rivian doesn’t offer Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in the R1T. We’d ding any vehicle for lacking these very useful features that let people bring the capabilities of their smartphones into their vehicles. A Rivian spokesperson confirmed the company has no current plans to integrate either system into the R1T. Having spent time with the truck, I can understand why Rivian would favor its native system given how it’s layered with sliding tabs and drawers. Adding ACP or AA would make things messier for Rivian. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t be done. It just wasn’t. Sorry, no Waze for you, Rivian drivers.

I have been pretty much a die-hard Rivian fan, but with lack of AA, ACP, and satellite radio, I'm not sure if I will proceed with my order in 2023. It seems very short sighted on Rivian's part to not built these features into their systems.

It is crazy for a "go anywhere" truck to not have at least have satellite radio for when you are out in the middle of nowhere without cell coverage.

See less See more
#3 ·
This does suck. My 2015 Lexus doesn't have Android Auto and I was looking forward to that in my next vehicle. My R1S spec is over $100K in Canadian dollars and I'm irked that I can't get this basic additional convenience available with most newer vehicles.

#5 · (Edited)
While my 2012 Silverado has Apple CarPlay (and is absolutely awesome with Waze, Spotify, impeccable hands-free Siri voice commands, etc.), I get it via an aftermarket stereo upgrade... No, I'm not going to be ripping out my Rivian Meridien sound system or touchscreens anytime soon, but I will figure out a hack!!! LOL. :devilish:

One of the most glaring & gaping holes for OEM's these days is NOT to include AP/AA support in new vehicles. The smart OEM's have learned this lesson and already evolved.

While a car can certainly become an "Adventure Vehicle", a Rivian will never be your "Adventure Smartphone". Sorry! Once you are parked and walk away, it's game over. You will never take your Rivian infotainment system with you on a hike or a ski... No, you will take your Smartphone with millions of developer hours and all of your favorite functionality along with you in your pocket, and you will have access to your adventure vehicle from that device remotely.

Rather ironic when you think about it...

Imagine if Apple didn't allow OEM's to push their Apps to the App Store? Imagine if Apple said, "sorry Rivian, no Rivian App for you without Apple Carplay support in your vehicles!" 🔨

#7 ·
We have Apple Carplay on the ID.4 and have used it on a few rentals. I personally prefer the Tesla infotainment over the ID.4 system with Carplay. Everything on the Tesla is integrated seamlessly, Carplay on the ID.4 is great until you need to access an ID.4 function and it all becomes a mess. There is no fluidity between Carplay and the rest of the ID.4 systems.

Carplay is wonderful in rental cars as all my info quickly ports to the system; for my own car, I prefer a system that integrates with the car. If Rivian can get their system to integrate like Tesla; I am perfectly happy with no CP/AA.

It is interesting the the quote is, "A Rivian spokesperson confirmed the company has no current plans to integrate either system into the R1T. " It leaves open future plans.

Reactions: Gabe1Aron
#10 ·
Several members have contacted Rivian support about the lack AP/AA/Satellite and we all get the same answer with "Yes several members have requested this feature...". Personally, I do not use AP or AA but I due use satellite radio in both my 2012 Cadillac SRX and 2016 Kia Soul EV. AP or AA would be somewhat of a work around but then it relies on cell towers. This is 2022!

Come on Rivian!!! It's not right to ask potential customers to plunk down tons of money on an high end vehicle with a wishy washy response meaning maybe they will and maybe they won't include features that many drivers use on a daily basis. I'll get off of my soapbox now... :cool:

#8 ·
If Rivian lets a browser window run on the main display while driving, you might be able to use Teslawaze for nav?

And, where there is cell coverage- stream the SXM app via BT from your phone to the truck.

Both workarounds that shouldn't be necessary, but at least they're available....

#9 ·
When we first got our Expedition with Sync 3 we barely used Carplay. After a road trip to move to a new state using it the whole time it changed my mind and I use it every time I drive now. Handling voice messages which Sync can't do and the built-in maps in the system are just average. They do update Sync often and that has made the maps much better than before but to still have the option of Apple, Google, or other maps with Carplay is superior.

#19 ·
I am going to try Rivian’s infotainment system before I complain about it not having CarPlay. Tesla does not have CarPlay and they seem to be very popular right now. I currently don’t have CarPlay in any of my cars but I have used it. If I was Rivian, I would not want to my infotainment system to be the same as a Honda Accord’s. Rivian wants to control that screen and not have Apple or Google take it over. Just give them a chance.

#25 ·
Looks like that is how it works. Takes up the whole screen.
It can be integrated in different ways. Bigger screens can provide more options for integration.

From the Apple Carplay Developer site:

"Apps by automakers can provide vehicle-specific controls and displays to keep drivers connected without leaving CarPlay"

People interested in using carplay aren't trying to replace their infotainment system, or in this case, any Rivian-specific functionality. No, they are simply trying to leverage the functionality they get seamlessly through their smartphones, and through their favorite apps. And sorry, Rivian isn't building the apps users want in Carplay, and Rivian is never going to be better than Apple or Android when it comes to usability, voice recognition services or portable of those services via your smartphone when you leave your Rivian. You ain't taking your Rivian infotainment system out of the car to replace your smartphone anytime soon, and when OEM's ignore this, the hubris of automakers is most apparent.

#33 ·
What most people don't seem to understand is that Rivian still gets all the most important driver data WITH Apple CarPlay. In fact, you can still use all of your functionality on-screen (while Carplay is working to to send Waze alerts, plays your music, or allows for hands-free voice control)... Even if you aren't using Rivian's native navigation on your screen, there is nothing preventing Rivian from knowing EXACTLY where you are at all times. Carplay doesn't replace all of the other functionality or obfuscate OEM data - it enhances and extends native smartphone functions via the screen. Andoid Auto is built to do the same, and BOTH can work within the same infotainment system... Just a question of which OS you have on your smartphone. That is all.

#34 ·
Knowing where you are isn't all that's important data wise. Knowing some of the context is too. Want to do what you can to make sure the battery is at the right temp to DCFC? Know where you (the car) is going in the nav system and thsat youre on route to a charger. Allowing someone to navigate via CP doesn't help that.

That being said, i think that's secondary to them (and tesla) believing it results in an inferior experience and a loss of control over the experience of their products. Hence staff from Tesla and their experience may be a big influence there. From what I've seen, people that have cars and rely on either system, are also less likely to use the rest of the car's system. If they are attached to the CP ecosystem and not the Rivian one, they won't necessary know how to use the rest if the car properly (my wife barely knows half our Sensus UI features on the volvo), and presents fewer opportunities for reasons to subscribe to something Rivian.

I personally use AA, and am annoyed by the lack of it because I won't have as ready access to some apps I listen to, but if I were Rivian I wouldn't put AA or CP on my car either. Ignoring any potential current or future data or control asks that Apple or Google may have. The Amazon directive theory just makes very little sense to me.

#36 ·
Unless Alexa can do what Car Play can do in the Rivian, I'm guessing we won't proceed with our R1S purchase either. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach for now, hoping their interface will improve enough between now and this fall that we won't miss CarPlay. But I'm fairly pessimistic that will happen. Very disappointed so far.

#37 ·
They're different products in my mind. Alexa is natural voice processing for Rivian that happens to connect to Amazon's back-end for Alexa (Alexa - turn on my lights). It doesn't provide any UI interface that CP/AA does to bring apps from your phone to the car.

#39 ·
I don't think Alexa will. The question, which I think is what you're asking, is whether Rivian's UI is adequate for you/us. Which probably depends on what you need CarPlay for. I think Rivian would have a fair argument to say their navigation system is superior since it considers the car's SOC. But if you are using CarPlay for a podcast app or Apple Music, and don't want to use bluetooth, then there isn't a public roadmap that I'm aware of that provides an equivalent to CP.

#42 ·
I am using Alexa all the time as my home assistant. I know that I will have no problem asking her to heat my seat or play Rammstein. I got a different issue. I love android auto integration in my current car as I can just browse restaurants on Tuesday, and I will find them on Friday in the recent searches. I can just jump the car at 9:30 and maps will guide me to my office as it see my meeting in 30 minutes there. If I need a nice safe way I can turn maps and select a destination, but if I am 10 minutes late and I have to cut some corners I know that Waze will be much better while I am risking some almost offroading in my family crossover.
If I am happy with the factory-provided onboard system, that's great! but I want to have a choice in case I really like to see my car as a cat to make my son happy on the very blue monday.

#43 ·
I actually think that they could (not saying they will) integrate a bunch of these features with their app. If the app has calendar access, it can achieve the latter. My use case that I use more than browsing for restaurants on Tuesday and having them show up in Maps on Friday is searching for a restaurant in Yelp and sharing that location to maps on the fly. If the Rivian app has mapping built into it, that could conceivably be addressed by the app as well (and is a feature I've requested).

#46 ·
My R1S isn’t scheduled to be produced until Autumn ‘23, but if it doesn’t have wireless Apple CarPlay and SXM as standard features by then, I’ll be canceling the order which would be a huge shame as I’d really like to try the truck. My wife and I use ACP and Sirius daily, so it’s a big deal for the both of us. Frankly with even the most basic of transportation offering SXM and most, (all?) high line vehicles offering ACP, it seems such a stupid omission in what is otherwise such a technological tour de force.

#48 ·
AA/CP not as important as SXM. YOU CANNOT USE CELL/WIFI IF IT DOESN'T HAVE CONNECTIVITY IN YOUR AREA!

I don't need to pay for pandora or Spotify and get throttled data overheating my phone. I don't need a 2nd cell bill (you do realize that it's not free. The free part is about 5 years). It is 4G and cannot be upgraded OTA)

#50 ·
I’ll take your pre-order. Have had mine 2 months. Was pissed for about 5 minutes and got over it. It’s so superior to all other vehicles that the minor difference in Alexa’s functionality isn’t really an issue. Their nav is OK and hasn’t screwed up as much as Waze does. Really if apple car play was part of your decision process, then this might not be the truck for you. I’m coming out of a Gladiator Rubicon so different buyer the most of the EV owners on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.