Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any comments on the stereo? Glanced through the article and quickly reviewed the video. Seemed like the UI was Tesla-like, but thankfully kept things functional. Just curious, since it looks promising based on the specs.

Very excited about getting the R1S!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The interface concerns were a little disturbing. Hope they can still be addressed in the production model.
In my view it is a benefit that the interface is mostly software. Software is never finished and always a work in progress. There will be updates, often for the better, sometimes less so. The interface will evolve and the drivers will evolve with it. I appreciate the flexibility.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Not concerned with this based on my wife's XC90 interface (and the fact that there are indeed stick controls on BOTH side of the steering wheel). This leads me to believe that things like wipers & adaptive cruise control will be activated as normal, but have no firm knowledge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Things I was happy to read in the review:
1) Smooth and well controlled ride on road - big failing of most pickups is bouncy ride, not good on an old mans back!
2) Smooth ride off-road - suspension adjusts for rougher surface
3) Front seats extremely comfortable based on 40 hours of drive time, reviewer said comfortable for 12 hours at a time
4) Quality of materials is very good

They didn't comment on fit and finish. I wondered about the audio as well (not a deal breaker).

Like most, I would prefer more buttons and switches, but I suspect the UI interface is one of those things that will just take a little time to get familiar with. I can live with the number of cupholders it has.

For future reviews, I'm eager to hear how it tows and whether range is 300 miles (at reasonable mixed speeds, not at constant 75-80 mph like some of these testers do). Also want to hear more about functionality of the bed and storage areas.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The part about the off-roading capability and the regenerative braking were what really stood out for me.

Off-roading in the R1T is a mind-bender. It moves smoothly and silently, its four-motor drivetrain sensing slip and meting out power to each wheel as needed. There is no crawler gear ratio to engage, no differentials to lock, no anti-roll bars to release; just steer and apply appropriate throttle, and the R1T simply drives over whatever you point it at with eerie smoothness and silence—the loudest sound we heard was the crunching of pebbles under its tires. The R1T's superhero regenerative braking system also ensures it slows as well as it goes, so the R1T doesn't run away on steep downgrades.

The Rivian's regenerative brakes probably deserve their own separate story, but we'll give them a paragraph here. The R1T has four user-selectable levels of regeneration. Drivers who aren't familiar or comfortable with one-pedal driving—an EV feature whereby the driver needs only work the accelerator in most situations, as the electric motors slow the vehicle when you lift off—can leave it in Low or Medium and the R1T slows in a manner comparable to engine braking in a gasoline-powered car. We preferred Maximum mode for off-road driving, though, as it allowed us precise speed control without worry of locking the wheels as we might with the friction brakes. Out on the open road, Maximum mode equated to getting on the binders pretty hard, so we dialed back to High. The R1T's regenerative brake setup is powerful enough to bring the truck to a halt, and we only needed the brake pedal for panic stops.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.