Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3/2020 Deposit on Explore pac.
7/24/22 Pick and reserve a truck at the store 2 days after getting the invite and consulting with my mechanic, another Rivian order holder/friend and my wife.
Red Canyon, adventure pack, forest edge, standard wheels, no spare.
7/25 Introductory guide call , 20 questions, most answered < 1 hour.
7/25 Release freeze on Equifax, 20 min call because of website fail
7/26 Guide advises they now use Trans Union*. Call to trans union to release, 25 min call to reset
password. Website even worse than Equifax.
Attempt to set up charger install using Rivian online tool- they don’t install on Martha’s Vineyard (surprise)
Contacting my insurance agent. (Nationwide is their special carrier… except in Mass.)
7/28 shipping confirm - charger, contact electrician
7/29 Deposit >wire because “Plaid” doesn’t like my bank. (guide advised to include my order number but didnt provide, sent with name and vin)
Steps complete except insurance.
Rivian doesn’t insure in Mass, that took a week for them to figure. I’m still waiting to hear from my Insurance Agent that he has an RTA so he can add the truck to my policy.
8/2 Insurance sorted, paperwork on its way.
Pickup appointment scheduled, multiple texts
UPS tracking of charger either won’t work or advises that the charger was returned to Rivian HQ
8/4 Visit Insurance agent, charger arrives, email electrician
8/5 Go to Mass Registry for plates. Clerk: “I wish all the dealers did this, their paperwork is perfect and the signature arrows are great, most people have to make several visits” she advised I was the fourth Rivian to register that day on Martha’s Vineyard.
! Be sure you copy the Factory Build Certificate for your records before giving it to the registry of motor vehicles ! I needed it for my state rebate program see below.

8/7 60 minutes on hold with the Steamship Authority, Drive to Vineyard Haven terminal to turn in registration copy, added it as a 2022 ROLLS-ROYCE CULLINAN because it was the same size.

8/10/22 Delivery, John was early and phoned. I made it there by Lyft from the T. We met in the Castle Island parking lot on Boston harbor about 30 minutes early. He was informative, friendly and answered all my questions before leaving, probably a 45 minute meeting. He advised that there would be a service call to upgrade/repair the electric tonneau cover because it was clunky. (Bring take out from somewhere else if your fussy- Sullivan’s is a fried fish fast food place).

8/12/22 Inspection sticker: mechanic had no problem lifting using a floor Jack under the suspension arms to check the integrity of the front wheel suspension and steering. I was his third Rivian.
Spare tire hatch has a habit of not unlatching at the end of the day, I think it is heat related, service call pending.

8/14/22 After consulting with my friend the electrician I purchased and installed conduit under the deck and into the basement to complete the run from previously installed underground 2” to my electric panel.

8/15/22 Tested the automatic Tonneau cover for water tightness using a garden hose sprayer, noted a few wet areas below the bed liner panels but good enough for me to trust my tools to stay dry. (Wish someone made a cap though).
Working on cross loading from my old 2000 Tundra, I’m finding spots for most of my tools, fasteners and parts despite the shorter bed. Designing a pull out platform to hold my tool bags and allow access to the spare compartment where I plan to store power tools and low frequency needed items. The platform will have drawers under it for fasteners and other items.
Guide Will advises my roof racks are about to ship.

Giving tours/rides to various friends and a long session with my mechanic who put the R1T on his lift and was impressed with the quality of the suspension, brakes and tires (which is all you can see underneath).

8/17/22 My electrician and I pull 65’ of #6 THHN wires through conduit buried 3 years ago and install the charger on the back of my wife’s new parking sign in front of the house (a throughly negotiated location). Details on request
Have difficulty connecting to WIFI router in spite of proximity (50’ and a wall). One hour later log the charger in to my app (not very well explained in instructions) and establish communication from the app to the charger. My days of wandering town like some electrical vampire are over.

8/18 Finally found the 110v outlet behind the console… and lost it again because it’s impossible to see. During my research I discover the 12v lighter socket under the dash that I will use for my sun visor mount fire department red light.

8/24/22 Racks arrive. They are difficult to get to lock in for the second click, pull hard and maybe sit on it. My old Thule Dock glide Kayak racks fit after digging out the longer screws for the mounting hardware. Getting the boat up involves protecting the rear roof flange with a towel and protecting the boat as it passes over the tailgate (I normally paddle alone and can’t lift the boat onto a regular rack. The Hullivator is too expensive and too bulky)
The racks look great… but have metal surface that will not hold up to my aluminum ladder being dragged over them, looking for a solution at Yakima.

I discovered that lubrication of the spare tire door gasket with pure silicone spray solves the sticks-shut problem. Before that I was using a small pry bar to dislodge it. I’m also siliconed the tonneau cover track for good luck.

Had a few issues: restarted the consoles to fix a problem with the FM radio.
Tonneau cover stalled after hitting a tool in the bed. Had to perform a reset procedure (4 pushes on the button hold the last one).

Install dash/windshield mounted red fire response light, tucked wire into trim without tools and plugged into 12v outlet under dash - wire was just long enough. >SMLLRR Whelen Slim-Miser Series LED Dash Light $132 w shipping.

9/20/22 Service call for spare tire hatch, long chat with friendly tec. He photographed my KEL silicone spray can. He advised me to wait as long as possible to get the tonneau upgraded as the fix will get better over time.

9/2/22 Submitted to MOR-EV Trucks program and received $7500 rebate on truck 3 weeks later. I will reduce the principal and pay my first excise tax bill (town didn’t waste any time)

Ordered a set of lifting pucks from tsportline.com
Just in case $170

10/12/22 Scheduled my recall service for the control arm bolts for the 21st.

· Registered
19 Posts
7/24/22 Pick and reserve a truck at the store 2 days after getting the invite and consulting with my mechanic, another Rivian order holder/friend and my wife.

7/26 Guide advises they now use Trans Union*. Call to trans union to release, 25 min call to reset
Attempt to set up charger install using Rivian online tool- they don’t install on Martha’s Vineyard (surprise)
Contacting my insurance agent. (Nationwide is their special carrier… except in Mass.)
7/29 Deposit >wire because “Plaid” doesn’t like my bank. (guide advised to include my order number but didnt provide, sent with name and vin)
Rivian doesn’t insure in Mass, that took a week for them to figure. I’m still waiting to hear from my Insurance Agent that he has an RTA so he can add the truck to my policy.
UPS tracking of charger either won’t work or advises that the charger was returned to Rivian HQ
8/5 Go to Mass Registry for plates. Clerk: “I wish all the dealers did this, their paperwork is perfect and the signature arrows are great, most people have to make several visits” she advised I was the fourth Rivian to register that day on Martha’s Vineyard.
! Be sure you copy the Factory Build Certificate for your records before giving it to the registry of motor vehicles ! I needed it for my state rebate program see below.

8/7 60 minutes on hold with the Steamship Authority, Drive to Vineyard Haven terminal to turn in registration copy, added it as a 2022 ROLLS-ROYCE CULLINAN because it was the same size.

8/10/22 Delivery, John was early and phoned. I made it there by Lyft from the T. We met in the Castle Island parking lot on Boston harbor about 30 minutes early. He was informative, friendly and answered all my questions before leaving, probably a 45 minute meeting. He advised that there would be a service call to upgrade/repair the electric tonneau cover because it was clunky. (Bring take out from somewhere else if your fussy- Sullivan’s is a fried fish fast food place).

8/12/22 Inspection sticker: mechanic had no problem lifting using a floor Jack under the suspension arms to check the integrity of the front wheel suspension and steering. I was his third Rivian.
Spare tire hatch has a habit of not unlatching at the end of the day, I think it is heat related, service call pending.

8/14/22 After consulting with my friend the electrician I purchased and installed conduit under the deck and into the basement to complete the run from previously installed underground 2” to my electric panel.

8/15/22 Tested the automatic Tonneau cover for water tightness using a garden hose sprayer, noted a few wet areas below the bed liner panels but good enough for me to trust my tools to stay dry. (Wish someone made a cap though).
Working on cross loading from my old 2000 Tundra, I’m finding spots for most of my tools, fasteners and parts despite the shorter bed. Designing a pull out platform to hold my tool bags and allow access to the spare compartment where I plan to store power tools and low frequency needed items. The platform will have drawers under it for fasteners and other items.

Giving tours/rides to various friends and a long session with my mechanic who put the R1T on his lift and was impressed with the quality of the suspension, brakes and tires (which is all you can see underneath).

8/17/22 My electrician and I pull 65’ of #6 THHN wires through conduit buried 3 years ago and install the charger on the back of my wife’s new parking sign in front of the house (a throughly negotiated location). Details on request
Have difficulty connecting to WIFI router in spite of proximity (50’ and a wall). One hour later log the charger in to my app (not very well explained in instructions) and establish communication from the app to the charger. My days of wandering town like some electrical vampire are over.

8/18 Finally found the 110v outlet behind the console… and lost it again because it’s impossible to see. During my research I discover the 12v lighter socket under the dash that I will use for my sun visor mount fire department red light.

8/24/22 Racks arrive. They are difficult to get to lock in for the second click, pull hard and maybe sit on it. My old Thule Dock glide Kayak racks fit after digging out the longer screws for the mounting hardware. Getting the boat up involves protecting the rear roof flange with a towel and protecting the boat as it passes over the tailgate (I normally paddle alone and can’t lift the boat onto a regular rack. The Hullivator is too expensive and too bulky)
The racks look great… but have metal surface that will not hold up to my aluminum ladder being dragged over them, looking for a solution at Yakima.

I discovered that lubrication of the spare tire door gasket with pure silicone spray solves the sticks-shut problem. Before that I was using a small pry bar to dislodge it. I’m also siliconed the tonneau cover track for good luck.

Tonneau cover stalled after hitting a tool in the bed. Had to perform a reset procedure (4 pushes on the button hold the last one).

Install dash/windshield mounted red fire response light, tucked wire into trim without tools and plugged into 12v outlet under dash - wire was just long enough. >SMLLRR Whelen Slim-Miser Series LED Dash Light $132 w shipping.

9/20/22 Service call for spare tire hatch, long chat with friendly tec. He photographed my KEL silicone spray can. He advised me to wait as long as possible to get the tonneau upgraded as the fix will get better over time.

9/2/22 Submitted to MOR-EV Trucks program and received $7500 rebate on truck 3 weeks later. I will reduce the principal and pay my first excise tax bill (town didn’t waste any time)

Just in case $170

How did you get $7500 from MOR-EV? I thought it was $1500.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you get $7500 from MOR-EV? I thought it was $1500.
Because the Truck is over 8500 GVR (just) it qualifies for the MOR-EV TRUCKS program. I tried to apply under MOR-EV and it is not in the drop down list. Further research lead me to MOR-EV Trucks | MOR-EV. I was surprised to get the $7500 because there are blocks of funds and the payout goes down as they fill.

· Registered
9 Posts
I am from mass and have also received a $7,500 check from MOR-EV. I found communicating with MOR-EV somewhat difficult, had to send numerous e-mails they continued to wind up in their spam folder. No way to really speak to someone by phone, Needed to submit documentation several times, seems these also went into their email morass. Recommend continuous follow up to insure application has been received. Took about 2 months to receive check once application was successfully received.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I had an easier time. Its not an insignificant amount so your perserverence was worth it- good job. I wonder how they enforce the 4 year ownership policy? Not that I'm' going to sell now that I finally got this chariot. My dealing with other portions of the Commonwealth bureaucracy (Home Inspector Licensing) have been on a par with your experience however.

· Registered
9 Posts
Good question about the 4 year requirement. I like you don't intend to sell anytime soon. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned (so far). I understand there are a number of R1Ts on the Vineyard. Saw my first live one in Edgartown .

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In know one wash-ashore owner in Chilmark personally, The registry clerk said I was the 3rd or 4th one that day when I registered in August. There was a green one in OB parked on East chop drive near Our Market in July. I've seen at least three colors. Some are probably going home/gone by now.

· Registered
9 Posts
I had to continuously send emails to MOR-EV TRUCKS. they eventually responded saying my previous emails must have gone into their SPAM folder. Since there was a limit on the number of 7500 rebates available I was persistent about following up on my application until I received a confirmation email that my application had been approved. From the point of that email it took about 6 weeks to get a check. It's extremely frustrating that you can't get a human being on the phone and that their email response is somewhat poor.

· Registered
20 Posts

Just in case $170

How the heck did you get anything from MOR EV? I've been unable to get any kind of response from them though I sent in all of my stuff six weeks ago.

· Registered
20 Posts
I had to continuously send emails to MOR-EV TRUCKS. they eventually responded saying my previous emails must have gone into their SPAM folder. Since there was a limit on the number of 7500 rebates available I was persistent about following up on my application until I received a confirmation email that my application had been approved. From the point of that email it took about 6 weeks to get a check. It's extremely frustrating that you can't get a human being on the phone and that their email response is somewhat poor.
I'll keep after them. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts