Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experiencing terrible performance of navigation system?
Several times it has either taken me to the absolute wrong location, or it takes me to most inefficient and longest route possible.

I have flagged this to Rivian and asked why invest engineering resources in building maps from scratch when there is so much that is not working tech wise. The answer was that they want to build navigation for the adventure lifestyle. I mean I get it, but navigation should at least work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agreed. I don’t trust it. I sometimes pull up Waze on my phone to help when traffic is a factor and use it to check against (running both together). Or google maps on my phone if it’s a new place I’ve never been and therefore can’t confirm Rivian maps are even going to the right place in the end.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Worst navigation system I ever experienced. I do t really understand why not open up to Android auto and Apple car play. It is best option out there and al. Ost every single auto manufacturer use it. Tesla and Rivian wake up you tried but its inot working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Worst navigation system I ever experienced. I do t really understand why not open up to Android auto and Apple car play. It is best option out there and al. Ost every single auto manufacturer use it. Tesla and Rivian wake up you tried but its inot working.
I had a Tesla prior to Rivian and the navigation system in Tesla is far superior. Looks like they use googlemaps

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition '22
20 Posts
The navigation system is so bad. What is ironic to me is that for a company that envisions its brand as staying adventurous or whatever, navigating to trailheads or lat long waypoints seems nearly impossible. Maybe by "adventurous" Rivian really means we should just yolo around without any navigational aids and see where our adventure takes us.

A few weeks ago I wanted to go hike Boundary Peak, the highest point in Nevada from the Queen Canyon Trailhead. The system will kind of auto-complete if there's a matching result but even "Queen Canyon" had no autocompletes. Typing OK directed me to a Dairy Queen in TX 1800 miles away. There are some threads indicating you can type lat,lon into the search bar and it will work but I have never been able to concoct any formula that doesn't give the frustrating "no results found. try different keywords or remove points of interest" whatever that is supposed to mean. We ended up just propping up a phone in the center console to get us there. And of course it all works fine in Google Maps. On the return trip I punched in home and the system freaked out as it decided we needed to drive 6 hours in some roundabout way and would not have enough charge to return home by a few hundred miles. The maps do look really pretty though.

Even searching for charging stations is pretty frustratingly bad. Where I live there is an Electrify America charger about 40 miles away, and a Rivian Adventure Network about 1/8th of a mile further away. You can guess which one the navigation system has as the first hit directs me to every time :).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agreed. I don’t trust it. I sometimes pull up Waze on my phone to help when traffic is a factor and use it to check against (running both together). Or google maps on my phone if it’s a new place I’ve never been and therefore can’t confirm Rivian maps are even going to the right place in the end.
I do that with my Tesla now. Waze is tough to beat....:cool::giggle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts