Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

I'm on the list to get my pickup in March/April, they say.

But they're all out of 21" wheels and I need your help in responding to the guide.

He said that they can offer a 22 inch or a 20 inch.

And he said that EITHER of them will decrease my range by 5 to 10%, which I found startling.

From what I can tell reading the threads here, the 22 inch rides better on streets (I'm not going to go off road, but I will be driving in snow).

Should I wait (for who knows how long, they won't tell me) or get the 22 inch wheels (and take the range hit) or is there no real range hit?

Help me understand if you have a sec...

Thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
thanks. does it make sense that a bigger wheel and a smaller wheel would both impact range so much?
I have the 22s configured for my R1S, I’m expecting a less than 10% hit on range with those. The added advantage is there will be a lot more 20 and 22 tires available if they need to be replaced.

Choice is yours, I would do the 22s given that choice, especially since on the LE there is no up charge for them.

·
Registered
61 Posts

But they're all out of 21" wheels and I need your help in responding to the guide.

And he said that EITHER of them will decrease my range by 5 to 10%, which I found startling.

From what I can tell reading the threads here, the 22 inch rides better on streets (I'm not going to go off road, but I will be driving in snow).

Should I wait (for who knows how long, they won't tell me) or get the 22 inch wheels (and take the range hit) or is there no real range hit?

Thanks
Are they charging you the extra $ for the 22's ? I believe there was an additional cost for those? If not, why not go with that and get the other options aftermarket? I personally like the 22's for their looks but couldn't justify paying extra especially given the hit on range. Being in Canada I'm used to switching wheels during the winter anyway

·
Registered
565 Posts
There is no additional cost for the 20's or the 22's IF you have a Launch Edition reservation. A delivery window of March/April implies a Launch Edition, because those will be the first to ship.

Rivian has stated that the 20's have a 10-15% range loss, and the 22's have a 5-10% range loss. The standard 21's were designed for the best EPA range estimate - if you make any modifications to the vehicle like adding crossbars or adding weight (with the off-road package) you will have range loss. That's not startling - that's well within what is expected IMO because that's exactly what happens with ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm jealous. I too have a March/April 2022 delivery window but have not heard from a Guide so far. Hopefully, that will change soon.

I would go with 22". Can always swap for aftermarket wheels if the range loss is significant. Personally, I would not give Rivian any reason to delay my delivery.

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Maybe it’s just me, but how can they be out of their “standard” (if not weird) wheel size before deliveries even start ramping up? Is covid delaying 21” wheel production now?
Perhaps you answered your own question. While that wheel size may be standard for Rivian, a tiny manufacturer in the grand scheme, it is far from standard within the world of wheel manufacturing. Given supply chain constraints one must prioritize in order to survive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You'll have a better ride with the smaller rim and I'm guessing it's also probably a tiny bit more efficient, but not the 5 and 10% that they're talking about. Bigger rims can look cool and all but every car I've had with larger rims has had a bumpy rumbly ride and are way easier to damage on curbs and whatnot.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You'll have a better ride with the smaller rim and I'm guessing it's also probably a tiny bit more efficient, but not the 5 and 10% that they're talking about. Bigger rims can look cool and all but every car I've had with larger rims has had a bumpy rumbly ride and are way easier to damage on curbs and whatnot.
I think you are referring to large rims with low profile tires. The 22s are not low profile, the sidewalls are over 5 inches, actually bigger than the sidewalls on my Jeep GC with 20 inch rims that rides fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you are referring to large rims with low profile tires. The 22s are not low profile, the sidewalls are over 5 inches, actually bigger than the sidewalls on my Jeep GC with 20 inch rims that rides fine.
It's still lower unless you're saying they're putting different sized diameter tires on the truck? If not, I'd rather have the smaller rim and more tire.

·
Registered
401 Posts
5” on a 22” is definitely low profile. Diameter 10” of tire and 22” of rim. The general rule of thumb for trucks is should be closer to 50/50. Max 17” rim for 33’s, max 18” rim for 35”, max rim 20” for a 38”. Tire size for a 22” should be more like a 40-44” to not be considered low profile. But Hakka 44’s only fit a 17” rim.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

Thanks
If you deal with a lot of bad weather I'd say 20 inch wheels but if that's not an issue I think the 22 inch wheels looks a bit better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.