Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all of a sudden I was told that my R1T is arriving in a few days! And last week I was told 4-8 weeks. So now I have to quickly figure out the charging setup.

I am currently using the Tesla mobile charger for my Model X, plugged into a 240 v outlet. Can I use this for charging the R1T too? I know I have to get an adaptor. If this method works, I will then have more time to figure out a better and long-term home charging solution. If not, please advise what other options I have to set one up quickly. I have also ordered the Rivian charger which has been delivered.

I am not technical at all, hope to see suggestions/recommendations that are easy to understand for a layman.

Thank you so much!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, if you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet then you already have everything you need to plug your R1T in with the included portable EVSE.
Thank you very much, @CommodoreAmiga! Didn't know R1T comes with a portable EVSE. I just found out that it is only capable of providing up to 16 miles per hour. But since my R1T is arriving in a few days, this should work for now.

· Registered
503 Posts
Hi, all of a sudden I was told that my R1T is arriving in a few days! And last week I was told 4-8 weeks. So now I have to quickly figure out the charging setup.

I am currently using the Tesla mobile charger for my Model X, plugged into a 240 v outlet. Can I use this for charging the R1T too? I know I have to get an adaptor. If this method works, I will then have more time to figure out a better and long-term home charging solution. If not, please advise what other options I have to set one up quickly. I have also ordered the Rivian charger which has been delivered.

I am not technical at all, hope to see suggestions/recommendations that are easy to understand for a layman.

Thank you so much!
You can purchase one of these and use the same charger to charge the Rivian.

· Registered
2023 Rivian R1T (Ordered)
13 Posts
You can purchase one of these and use the same charger to charge the Rivian.
Be careful, some Tesla to J1772 adapters (such as the TeslaTap Mini) are NOT compatible with Rivian vehicles, because Rivian uses an oversized ground pin.

If I were you, I'd install a wall charger to make full use of 240 volt charging. I use a Tesla Wall Charger left over from when I owned a Model 3. It charges both of my Mustang Mach-E vehicles using the TeslaTap Mini 60-amp adapter.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Be careful, some Tesla to J1772 adapters (such as the TeslaTap Mini) are NOT compatible with Rivian vehicles, because Rivian uses an oversized ground pin.

If I were you, I'd install a wall charger to make full use of 240 volt charging. I use a Tesla Wall Charger left over from when I owned a Model 3. It charges both of my Mustang Mach-E vehicles using the TeslaTap Mini 60-amp adapter.
In a single post you said the TeslaTap Mini is not compatible, but that you also use it....

· Registered
2023 Rivian R1T (Ordered)
13 Posts
In a single post you said the TeslaTap Mini is not compatible, but that you also use it....
Yep, it's not compatible with Rivian vehicles. As I said, I currently use it to charge my Mustang Mach-Es.

My Rivian is still on order so I don't need to charge it yet! When it arrives, I'll probably have to install a second wall charger.

· Registered
582 Posts
Thank you very much, @CommodoreAmiga! Didn't know R1T comes with a portable EVSE. I just found out that it is only capable of providing up to 16 miles per hour. But since my R1T is arriving in a few days, this should work for now.
You'll be surprised how useful that charger cable will be. I suspect most people won't need the Rivian wall charger.

Unless you drive more than ca. 150 miles per day, charging with the cable charger will be fine.

You just have to make sure that you have a NEMA14-50 outlet that supports 240V and is on a 50 amp circuit breaker (which will support the 32 amp maximum that the charging cable will pull).

· Registered
82 Posts
I made do by charging from a 110 outlet whenever I was parked at home while I waited for my electrician to help install the Rivian charger. You can get a couple of miles per hour using the included adapter. My friend the local cop advised that he was seeing some EV owners sleeping in their cars at the free class 2 charger at town hall. Use at least a 14 gauge extension cord and try to find a 20 amp outlet for best results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts