Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is big news for the expansion of electric vehicles. Here's hoping other countries introduce similar laws like this. England will be the first country in the world to introduce mandatory electric car charging points for new-build homes

Their Department of Transport has proposed changes to building regulations that would require homebuilders to install electric vehicle charge points in new homes.

They also invested nearly £40 million into research projects that included wireless charge points, and charge points that rise up from the pavement.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/107439/electric-car-charge-points-to-be-installed-in-every-new-home

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most of Europe have been incorporating renewable energy minimally into their new residential homes for years (I suspect similarly for commercial buildings) with I believe Sweden leading the charge. So on hand I'm not surprised they will now add charge points for new-build homes. It's seems to be a logical progression for them. That said, I don't know if any of renewable energy homes is government mandated or commercially driven or by some other entity, but I'm not a fan of the government mandating a specific renewable energy apparatus. E.g. what if the home owner wants to buy a hydrogen fueled vehicle or some other (future?) renewable energy source to power their vehicle? In those cases the installed charge point would have been a waste of time, money, energy and resources.

All for the push to leverage the various renewable energies (wish the US would get more aggressive) just don't force a particular one on everyone. We (humans) need to stay more open-minded to the various renewable energy sources available today and the ones not yet discovered.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Government will have their hand in it but by way of giving tax credits to real estate companies that factor in renewable sources. With the condo boom happening in many cities, attracting more people away from actual houses, and closer to suburban areas and cities, its bound to speed up the process. Far more people are renting these days too. Further driving condo dev.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts