Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laid out my $1000 yesterday. I THINK I'm going with this R1S build:
  • Explore version
  • Large battery pack
  • 7 seats
  • El Cap
  • Black interior
  • 21" road wheels

Keeping it simple. I'm sure I will change my choices a few dozen times before it's time to lock things in.

With drums, shooting, golf, and kids' sports, I was seriously considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee L, especially since I used to have a JGC before my kid was born, but my wife really wanted to get an EV for our next family car, so I stumbled upon the best of all worlds in the Rivian just a couple of weeks ago. And the rest is history - and months of anticipation now...

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
314 Posts
  • Explore version
  • Large battery pack
  • 7 seats
  • El Cap
  • Black interior
  • 21" road wheels

Keeping it simple. I'm sure I will change my choices a few dozen times before it's time to lock things in.

With drums, shooting, golf, and kids' sports, I was seriously considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee L, especially since I used to have a JGC before my kid was born, but my wife really wanted to get an EV for our next family car, so I stumbled upon the best of all worlds in the Rivian just a couple of weeks ago. And the rest is history - and months of anticipation now...
Congratulations on your choice! An advantage of being late in line is that you will see all the issues from the Beta testers (LE holders) before making the final commitment.

And good to see someone else from Virginia around here. Although I think of Northern Virginia more like DC than Virginia. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! Sounds like our wives think alike. Only requirement from her on the new rig was that it is an EV and able to carry the fam.

Good color choice too
I love it when a plan comes together... When I want something and then my wife wants something where I can make it seem like it's answering what she wants...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, we're twins. I'm in NoVa too and spec'ed an R1S, Explore Package, El Cap, Ocean, 7 seats, 22" wheels. See you on the road!
Well, sounds like we already have the start to a meetup group.
I'm guessing we have similar inputs on environment, activities, etc. living in the same area and wanting a vehicle like this, but it would be great to hear your reasons for going Explore v. Adventure.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
  • Explore version
  • Large battery pack
  • 7 seats
  • El Cap
  • Black interior
  • 21" road wheels

Congratulaitons on your order @kuromaku! What stood out to you about the R1S compared to the Grand Cherokee or any other SUVs you looked at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congratulaitons on your order @kuromaku! What stood out to you about the R1S compared to the Grand Cherokee or any other SUVs you looked at?
I think what was really compelling to me was that it's something new, actually new - while also not seeming like it was a fly by night project.
Otherwise, it's sort of a composite of many things:
More expensive than a Telluride or JGC, but not as expensive as a Model X or a Range Rover...
Speaking of Range Rovers, this thing is as big as a Range Rover and as capable off-road?
My wife really wanted to set an example by making smart choices for the environment - and no one is a fan of the mpg that these vehicles get...
I've always liked German SUVs, but it looked like they were just swapping out electric motors for traditional engines - you gotta give me nice big frunk or you're not even trying...
Wait a minute, this thing can go off the line to 60 in 3 seconds?
Amazon is behind the curtain on this? Please and thank you to all the resources and conveniences they'll bring to the party.
So that's a fair representation of the crazy calculus that brought me to this decision over anything else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think what was really compelling to me was that it's something new, actually new - while also not seeming like it was a fly by night project.
More expensive than a Telluride or JGC, but not as expensive as a Model X or a Range Rover...
Speaking of Range Rovers, this thing is as big as a Range Rover and as capable off-road?
My wife really wanted to set an example by making smart choices for the environment - and no one is a fan of the mpg that these vehicles get...
I've always liked German SUVs, but it looked like they were just swapping out electric motors for traditional engines - you gotta give me nice big frunk or you're not even trying...
Amazon is behind the curtain on this? Please and thank you to all the resources and conveniences they'll bring to the party.
So that's a fair representation of the crazy calculus that brought me to this decision over anything else.
Hell yeah Brother!

Those points are the same as why I decided to choose the Rivian. All signs (mission/intel/financial backing/style/capabilities) point to it being the best decision for the next rig. Not to mention wife approved!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It should be pretty close to the Range Rover for size. As for off-road capability the quad motor setup should do quite nicely too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.