Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Received R1T yesterday. Black/Black 20AT. Absolutely fabulous.
Several questions for you all.
1) We are fortunate to be an all EV family (2020 Tesla MY). When my wife goes to her Tesla, the Rivian wakes up (lights come on, handles come out). I would like to know if there is a setting where the lights don't all come on. I don't mind the handles coming out, but its a bit much!
2) The nav seems a bit skimpy. It doesn't seem to show all of the various chargers out there. I did a trip on the nav (Ann Arbor, MI to Marquette, MI.....450 miles). Nav barely showed any charging stations. I have plugshare, but Id rather the nav pick up all of the chargers out there.

All in all, i'm like a teenager right now. Love, love, love it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1) You can turn off Proximity Unlock while you are at home. You can adjust some lighting settings as well.
2) Even my R1T delivery guy said I would want to use other charge apps. The default nav is just not as up-to-date yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all,
Received R1T yesterday. Black/Black 20AT. Absolutely fabulous.
Several questions for you all.
1) We are fortunate to be an all EV family (2020 Tesla MY). When my wife goes to her Tesla, the Rivian wakes up (lights come on, handles come out). I would like to know if there is a setting where the lights don't all come on. I don't mind the handles coming out, but its a bit much!
2) The nav seems a bit skimpy. It doesn't seem to show all of the various chargers out there. I did a trip on the nav (Ann Arbor, MI to Marquette, MI.....450 miles). Nav barely showed any charging stations. I have plugshare, but Id rather the nav pick up all of the chargers out there.

All in all, i'm like a teenager right now. Love, love, love it.
I disabled proximity lock/unlock some months ago. I didn't like the truck unlocking when I was six feet or so away. I have tried it after the last couple updates...probably should, but really have been waiting to see if sensitivity can be adjusted. Open when I'm a foot away, would be good...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disabled proximity lock/unlock some months ago. I didn't like the truck unlocking when I was six feet or so away. I have tried it after the last couple updates...probably should, but really have been waiting to see if sensitivity can be adjusted. Open when I'm a foot away, would be good...
I hope this isn't dumb question, but if you are not using the fob, and proximity is off, do I have to unlock it with the app?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I sure hope they lower the prox. settings ASAP. I saw another post about owners complaining that when you're in a building and your R1T is parked outside, the prox. sensor reads you as close enough and unlocks the vehicle.

Sure enough, I was at a restaurant yesterday and walked up to a parked R1T that had its handles out and was unlocked. The vehicle was not in a line of site with any windows and I'm pretty sure the Owner was in the restaurant and had no idea his car was very obviously unlocked.

I'm not sure why anyone needs their car to unlock and their door handles to come out when they are still 6+ feet away from the vehicle.

I think all Rivian needs to do is lower the sensitivity so it only works when you're actually standing in front of the driver's side door. Shouldn't need to disconnect the feature entirely to get it to do what it was designed to do.

Hoping everyone starts asking for this so we'll see it in an update soon.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone needs their car to unlock and their door handles to come out when they are still 6+ feet away from the vehicle.
I have read many complaints about how long it takes for the Rivian to unlock via a key fob or key card - sometimes 15 seconds or more. Rivian even says in the owners manual that it may take "up to 8 seconds" to unlock if the vehicle is asleep.

Given that, I suspect that the phone proximity was made very sensitive so the Rivian would detect your presence from as far away as possible, giving it time to wake up and unlock by the time you reached your vehicle. Note I have no first-hand information that this is true - I am just speculating.

The problem with that strategy is:
  • All phones are different - the maximum signal strength and range will depend on the brand and model of the phone.
  • The signal strength varies greatly with the orientation of the phone. The detection range can easily drop by a factor of two or more just because of the orientation.
Thus, trying to detect at "maximum range" ensures that the proximity key functions in an unpredictable and inconsistent manner, not only from user to user, but even for the same user the unlock distance will vary greatly. And that's what we see in real life.

Setting the minimum signal strength for unlock to a much higher value means you will have to be closer to the car before it unlocks. Perhaps very close. But it comes with the tradeoff that your car will probably not be unlocked by the time you reach it, which would mean an entirely separate set of complaints. No one wants to have to stand next to an unlocked car for 15 seconds looking stupid and waiting for it to open automatically ...

IMO the real problem here is how they are handling the signal. If it takes "up to 8 seconds" to respond that implies they are periodically scanning for signals, using the main computer (?). That's a bad strategy, both for responsiveness and for energy use, but they might not be able to do better with the current hardware. I personally would have done this with an extremely low-power dedicated circuit which could wake up when a signal strength exceeds threshold, and then go back to sleep after attempting to authenticate. That sort of a circuit would respond in microseconds and takes so little power (<1 microamp) that it could run on a coin cell for many years. If they're already doing this, then I don't know why the responsiveness is so bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts