Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
Golf R, XC90, and eventually an R1S
9 Posts
Question, space wise, what do you think of the XC90? Like, could you travel easily with 2 kids and 2 dogs? 😁
Depends on the size of the dogs and the amount of stuff you're bringing. We had no problem doing three adults, a toddler, and a 60 pound Bluetick from Chicago to Virginia Beach though (15 hours).

We love our XC90, because it's big enough without being huge, and pretty comparable to what the R1S final specs should be. It'll be tough to part with, and to be candid I could see us just upgrading to the XC90 PHEV if we get tired of waiting (or if the next gen XC90 BEV is something stellar), because we really love it.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
148 Posts
Thanks for the reply @luckydogg ! I actually believe that the R1S will be a bit more spacious. But great to hear what you have to say about the XC90. I hear so many good things about it that I wanted to know what you had to say.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Welcome @luckydogg

Have you test driven the XC90 PHEV yet? Would love to get your take on it. Are you only considering the electric XC90 and R1S or also open to others as well?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Welcome @luckydogg

Have you test driven the XC90 PHEV yet? Would love to get your take on it. Are you only considering the electric XC90 and R1S or also open to others as well?
I have driven the XC90 T8 PHEV, so I'll share my thoughts.

Overall it's a nice vehicle, although the handling is not as good as the T6 version. Volvo takes a FWD T6 then adds the hybrid components to drive the rear wheels. The motors aren't that powerful, so it can't send as much power to the rear as the ICE AWD version can. It also loses torque-vectoring capabilities. There's also substantial torque-steer if you accelerate hard off the line, since the full torque of the ICE is going solely to the front wheels.

It's a good transitional product, but you do make some sacrifices with it.

I ended up being the T6 version, instead. And now I've decided to skip hybrid tech and go all-in on electric with my next vehicle.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Depends on the size of the dogs and the amount of stuff you're bringing. We had no problem doing three adults, a toddler, and a 60 pound Bluetick from Chicago to Virginia Beach though (15 hours).

We love our XC90, because it's big enough without being huge, and pretty comparable to what the R1S final specs should be. It'll be tough to part with, and to be candid I could see us just upgrading to the XC90 PHEV if we get tired of waiting (or if the next gen XC90 BEV is something stellar), because we really love it.
Welcome @luckydogg! Aside from waiting time is there anything else with the R1S that would be a dealbreaker for you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
R1S. Adventure pkg, 20" all terrain wheels, off-road upgrade, forest green exterior, ocean coast interior, 7 seater. SO EXCITED

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wait time isn’t a problem for us, as we love our Volvo, and we actually appreciate the time the build schedule will afford us... that way other owners can give their reviews and Rivian can possibly make incremental tweaks.

This will be the most expensive car we’ve ever purchased, and while I understand that it’s a new company and new technology, I’m not looking forward to paying $90k to be somebody’s beta tester, so reviews of how things hold up after a few months will be key.

There’s also just the subjective elements that we won’t know for some time... How does interior space feel? How is the driving experience? Are the seats comfortable after long distances? Is the infotainment intuitive? What is the green interior going to look like in real life? This is a car at the end of the day, so until we test drive one it’s all 50/50.

This is the first electric car that I am really excited about, and I’ve got a few hours of seat time in a Model X and Model S. The fact my YouTube history for the last few weeks is all the Rivian content I can eat up, we’re pretty excited nonetheless!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wait time isn’t a problem for us, as we love our Volvo, and we actually appreciate the time the build schedule will afford us... that way other owners can give their reviews and Rivian can possibly make incremental tweaks.

This will be the most expensive car we’ve ever purchased, and while I understand that it’s a new company and new technology, I’m not looking forward to paying $90k to be somebody’s beta tester, so reviews of how things hold up after a few months will be key.

There’s also just the subjective elements that we won’t know for some time... How does interior space feel? How is the driving experience? Are the seats comfortable after long distances? Is the infotainment intuitive? What is the green interior going to look like in real life? This is a car at the end of the day, so until we test drive one it’s all 50/50.

This is the first electric car that I am really excited about, and I’ve got a few hours of seat time in a Model X and Model S. The fact my YouTube history for the last few weeks is all the Rivian content I can eat up, we’re pretty excited nonetheless!
That's a good way of looking at it. When Rivian eventually opens up test drives a lot of those questions will hopefully be answered for you.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
R1S. Adventure pkg, 20" all terrain wheels, off-road upgrade, forest green exterior, ocean coast interior, 7 seater. SO EXCITED
That's a great spec to go with. Were you considering any other ways to spec your R1S before putting through the order?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Do you at least get a good local EV credit to go with the federal one? $3,500 seems like the norm for most states and some are higher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately there's no local credit here -- EVs actually have a higher registration fee to make up for the lack of gas tax revenue they contribute to the state's coffers (Illinois).

We spec'd an $83k Forest Green / Forest Edge R1S w/ 21s and 7-passenger seating, so once you add tax/title/registration, whatever costs we'll incur adding charging infrastructure to a detached garage, city registration fees, inevitable accessories we'll want for the thing, and then subtract the federal credit, I anticipate acquisition cost to be $85-90k.

So the extra time also gives time to save up a bit more too :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
R1T (switched from R1S because R1T can tow substantially more )
400 mi + battery (no brainer)
Adventure Pkg.
Ext. color Limestone
Blck Interior (bummed there wasn't a beige or caramel interior option....A white interior in a truck is just plain crazy..how could anyone keep it clean? )
20 inch Offroad tires

Now to wait for another eternity......
I chose the 300 mi+ as I will never have to go on ski trips further than 200 mi and can charge. Otherwise, it will be my local farm & work truck. Will have to adapt farm tractor to plow as I will be selling my diesel plow truck. I have charging stations at my farm & business and, at least Killington has charging in their lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome @mcocar
What made you switch from the R1S to R1T?
Hello @eHauler!
What prompted the switch was the Max battery pack that will be available in Jan. '22 as well as the 11,000 lbs. of towing capacity. We're planning on purchasing a travel trailer and this will give us a wider selection to pick from.
I still want the R1S, but do not mind waiting a bit longer for the battery upgrade.

·
Registered
2017 Mercedes GLE, 2016 Buick Enclave, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JKU
3 Posts
Hello fellow Rivian enthusiasts,
Just joined the group today and provided my order info in the form. Like everyone else looking forward to being able plop my butt in the seat of something Rivian. As the shipping date approaches could the administrator add a couple of columns to gather info on date of contact from Rivian, scheduled delivery date and actual delivery date to gauge how deliveries are progressing?

121 - 140 of 167 Posts