Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current owner of 2 Tesla's and for a couple of reasons, I am seriously considering selling one and ordering a R1S. My only hesitation is that it's difficult to pull the trigger without seeing and touching one. I've seen a few R1Ts here in SD and love them but have never seen a R1S. I also saw my first Rivian charging station in Inyokern, CA last week so that eases my charging concerns a little bit.

I'm really excited about this company and hoping for all the best.

· Premium Member
330 Posts
Current owner of 2 Tesla's and for a couple of reasons, I am seriously considering selling one and ordering a R1S. My only hesitation is that it's difficult to pull the trigger without seeing and touching one. I've seen a few R1Ts here in SD and love them but have never seen a R1S. I also saw my first Rivian charging station in Inyokern, CA last week so that eases my charging concerns a little bit.

I'm really excited about this company and hoping for all the best.
Welcome to the forum. What Tesla models do you own? Is there a Rivian Service Center close enough to you? That might be the easiest way to check one out in person.

Have you decided exactly how to spec your R1S?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. What Tesla models do you own? Is there a Rivian Service Center close enough to you? That might be the easiest way to check one out in person.

Have you decided exactly how to spec your R1S?
Thank you! There is a service center here in SD but wasn't sure how they'd feel about me showing up to look around. I might try anyway lol.

I currently own a 3 & Y, I want to trade the 3 for the R1s and eventually the Y for a R1T. I just put the deposit today for the R1S so I haven't gotten to the SPEC portion yet. I'm hoping to get the dual motor, large battery. The year wait is going to kill me because I'm so excited lol

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Thank you! There is a service center here in SD but wasn't sure how they'd feel about me showing up to look around. I might try anyway lol.

I currently own a 3 & Y, I want to trade the 3 for the R1s and eventually the Y for a R1T. I just put the deposit today for the R1S so I haven't gotten to the SPEC portion yet. I'm hoping to get the dual motor, large battery. The year wait is going to kill me because I'm so excited lol
Welcome @tiredoftesla! I'd give it a shot and see what they say. Is there anythings specific about the R1S you want to check in person? How long have you had your Teslas for?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome @tiredoftesla! I'd give it a shot and see what they say. Is there anythings specific about the R1S you want to check in person? How long have you had your Teslas for?
Thank you @JimmyEV. I think I will give it a shot. Id just like to get a feel for the size, storage and seating. The biggest factor in getting the R1S is that we've outgrown our Y (3 kids under 9 yo). I'd like to trade in the 3 and give my wife the R1S. I've had the 3 for 2 years and the Y for about 1 year. We really thought we could make the Y work but it's just too small.

· Registered
157 Posts
Thank you @JimmyEV. I think I will give it a shot. Id just like to get a feel for the size, storage and seating. The biggest factor in getting the R1S is that we've outgrown our Y (3 kids under 9 yo). I'd like to trade in the 3 and give my wife the R1S. I've had the 3 for 2 years and the Y for about 1 year. We really thought we could make the Y work but it's just too small.
@tiredoftesla Welcome! Seems like we are in a similar boat (both in San Diego, both have spouses driving Teslas). I currently have two reservations: one for an R1S (August 2021; for the wife) and one for an R1T (March 2022; for me). Not sure if I'll end up pulling the trigger on the truck (EDD: Feb/March 2023), but will definitely get the R1S (EDD: July/Sept 2023). I'll offer my two cents, for whatever they are worth. I would definitely put in a deposit one. Since it's fully refundable, you have nothing to lose, but will reserve a spot in the proverbial line. With the local service center, once you put in your reservation, it is quite likely that you will have an opportunity to schedule a First Mile (about a 45-minute test drive). Mine was in an R1T (R1S was not available at the time), but you will get the general idea, since they are fairly similar.

As for stopping by the service center, it might be worth a shot, although I've done it a couple of times with no luck. You can definitely catch a glimpse of the ones parked outside (although last time I was there, there were none) to get a general idea for the color and the size, but I don't know if they would let you sit in one.

· Registered
1,361 Posts
If you do end up getting to check out a R1S let us know how it goes!

· Registered
283 Posts
The service center here in SD usually has quite a few customer cars parkecd outside, both R1T and R1S and it's in an industrial area (not too far from Tesla's SC). So you could definitely park there and look at the cars.

I have and still struggle between the R1T and R1S. I like the idea of fitting 7 people and when camping, just sleeping in the rear with the seats down. But I also like a lot of the convenience and features of the R1T. I guess my ultimate solution would be to just have an R1T and R1S. lol

A lot of us current owners came from Tesla's (I've owned 4 Tesla's prior to switching over to this R1T). charging is one of the biggest things I miss from the Tesla when doing road trips. It's just not where it should be yet outside of Tesla's charging network.

· Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up my R1T 10 days ago. Good experience, just not happy that the Tonneau cover issue was not communicated to me prior. It was stuck in "Open", so I took it back in and had them make it "Stuck in Closed" position. At least now I can lock some of my equipment in there when working. Great product and customer service has been pretty awesome. Ever want to check out the truck, happy to show you and take you for a drive. We are in Rancho Penasquitos area of San Diego.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts