Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Rivian R1T came with the 21's which are ugly and not many options for off road tires and I really don't like the look or the cost of the Rivian 20" wheel option. Rivian back spacing and offset is tricky with the huge front calipers as well as very limited options with the 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern with aftermarket wheels. I found a 20" OEM Dodge truck wheel (2495) with specs that are close to the 20" OEM Rivian wheel and much better looking, I think. The tires are General ATX 275/65R20 which can be studded which I want because of the rough Colorado winters, and are the same spec as the 20" off-road Pirellis Rivian offers. The TPS's can be cloned so seasonal swap will be seamless. I will run this setup in the winter and after I powder coat the 21" roads, run them in the summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Rivian R1T came with the 21's which are ugly and not many options for off road tires and I really don't like the look or the cost of the Rivian 20" wheel option. Rivian back spacing and offset is tricky with the huge front calipers as well as very limited options with the 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern with aftermarket wheels. I found a 20" OEM Dodge truck wheel (2495) with specs that are close to the 20" OEM Rivian wheel and much better looking, I think. The tires are General ATX 275/65R20 which can be studded which I want because of the rough Colorado winters, and are the same spec as the 20" off-road Pirellis Rivian offers. The TPS's can be cloned so seasonal swap will be seamless. I will run this setup in the winter and after I powder coat the 21" roads, run them in the summer.
looked up the specs of your wheels and see the offset is 19mm vs the OEM 48mm

is that what you’re understanding with your setup? How’s fit and clearances?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fit and clearance is fine on standard ride height and with full suspension travel there has been no rub. My guess is the tire is out about 5/8" at the side wall from stock but there is a bit more tire bulge which is good, the rims have more curb/rock protection because of the 8" rim width which helps compensate the lower offset of the 8.5" stock rim width. Offset was a factor but the backspacing was where I had concerns due to the caliper clearance. I tried a Dodge SRT wheel with similar specs (20x9 25MM offset) and it did not fit due to caliper rub. Not a lot of aftermarket options so far and I wanted to keep the wheels inside the wheel well and keep the on rails handling. I am happy with what I found with both looks and fit.

·
Registered
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Porsche 911, BMW i3 REX, Dodge RAM 3500
15 Posts
Fit and clearance is fine on standard ride height and with full suspension travel there has been no rub. My guess is the tire is out about 5/8" at the side wall from stock but there is a bit more tire bulge which is good, the rims have more curb/rock protection because of the 8" rim width which helps compensate the lower offset of the 8.5" stock rim width. Offset was a factor but the backspacing was where I had concerns due to the caliper clearance. I tried a Dodge SRT wheel with similar specs (20x9 25MM offset) and it did not fit due to caliper rub. Not a lot of aftermarket options so far and I wanted to keep the wheels inside the wheel well and keep the on rails handling. I am happy with what I found with both looks and fit.
Thanks for the great info!

Did you consider going with 275/60R20 tires instead of 275/65R20? 60's seem to be closer to the 21s in terms of circumference and potentially better efficiency as well as more tire options and lower prices?

I am also in Colorado and will most likely go with a similar setup since the 20" Rivian options are so pricey, so much appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did look at the 275/60 20 but not as many tire options and actually I wanted a bit taller tire because my speedo is about 3 mph fast on the factory 21" street setup. As for efficiency, the truck does better than the estimated mileage in eco mode as long as I keep my foot out of it and cruise I-70 around 70MPH. I will see how the new 20" setup does, I am sure efficiency will take a bit of a hit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts