Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cox Automotive surveyed people that are interested in getting an electric pickup truck about which they preferred between the R1T, electric F-150, Hummer EV and Cybertruck. The results showed the F-150 to be the most appealing of the bunch. I think those numbers will start to change when Rivian starts production and deliveries.

Here's the full report:

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Rivian should perform exceptionally well for a new automaker. Ford is understandable since they have been leading pickup truck sales for decades. Interest should gradually diminish as rivals from the other big brands come out. I know GM and FCA (now Stellantis) have big plans.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Rivian should perform exceptionally well for a new automaker. Ford is understandable since they have been leading pickup truck sales for decades. Interest should gradually diminish as rivals from the other big brands come out. I know GM and FCA (now Stellantis) have big plans.
This would probably be higher if Rivian spent more on marketing. What I'm surprised with is how low Tesla's numbers are despite how huge of a fanbase they have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This would probably be higher if Rivian spent more on marketing. What I'm surprised with is how low Tesla's numbers are despite how huge of a fanbase they have.
I'm a Tesla owner and fan, but I think the Cybertruck's design won't have mass appeal. From the data it seems younger segments like it better than older ones, but I suspect the buying power for this price range is more on the latter group.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It must have a LOT to do with name recognition because when I looked online for information about the EV F-150, the details were very sparse. I certainly wouldn't put it at the top of my list for consideration without knowing more. Come on Ford, release some specs.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think that shows just how polarizing the CyberTruck is, that they can't capture more of their rabid fan base. A significant portion of Tesla fanboys would buy a Tesla Turd as long as Elon told them to.

For the rest of us, in reality, CyberTruck has some serious hurdles to overcome:
  1. It's ugly. Chevy tried it with the Avalance. Honda tried it with the 1st generation Ridgeline. Neither worked.
  2. It lacks features that all of the competitors have. (Still no ventilated seats, Tesla? Come on!)
  3. Only one unit has been demonstrated, and it isn't road legal. Tesla will have to modify the design to make it road legal, and they haven't shown us what it'll actually look like, despite claiming it'll be delivered to customers in under a year? Yea right!
  4. The price is attractively low, but they haven't demonstrated a product they could actually sell at that price, and not lose money.
This is typical Tesla behavior, imo. Dramatically over-promise, and under-deliver WAAAAY LATE.

I respect Tesla for the many achievements they've made. Tesla has absolutely pushed the auto industry to become better. But there are some really frustrating traits that Elon/Tesla keep exhibiting that are holding them back, imo. That's part of the reason I love Rivian -- they're more grown up; more responsible.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It must have a LOT to do with name recognition because when I looked online for information about the EV F-150, the details were very sparse. I certainly wouldn't put it at the top of my list for consideration without knowing more. Come on Ford, release some specs.
Yeah Ford has been super vague about what the they have planned for the electric F-150. Aside from that stunt video with the train cars all I've seen is that it's going to be the most powerful F-150 ever. Which is pretty easy to believe with electric motors. That and they could be calling it the "Lightning"

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that shows just how polarizing the CyberTruck is, that they can't capture more of their rabid fan base. A significant portion of Tesla fanboys would buy a Tesla Turd as long as Elon told them to.

For the rest of us, in reality, CyberTruck has some serious hurdles to overcome:
  1. It's ugly. Chevy tried it with the Avalance. Honda tried it with the 1st generation Ridgeline. Neither worked.
  2. It lacks features that all of the competitors have. (Still no ventilated seats, Tesla? Come on!)
  3. Only one unit has been demonstrated, and it isn't road legal. Tesla will have to modify the design to make it road legal, and they haven't shown us what it'll actually look like, despite claiming it'll be delivered to customers in under a year? Yea right!
  4. The price is attractively low, but they haven't demonstrated a product they could actually sell at that price, and not lose money.
This is typical Tesla behavior, imo. Dramatically over-promise, and under-deliver WAAAAY LATE.

I respect Tesla for the many achievements they've made. Tesla has absolutely pushed the auto industry to become better. But there are some really frustrating traits that Elon/Tesla keep exhibiting that are holding them back, imo. That's part of the reason I love Rivian -- they're more grown up; more responsible.
The changes that Tesla has to make to get it street legal are going to be what either makes or breaks the Cybertruck's success. If it looks nothing like the Prototype the internet is going to have a field day with jokes and memes.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The changes that Tesla has to make to get it street legal are going to be what either makes or breaks the Cybertruck's success. If it looks nothing like the Prototype the internet is going to have a field day with jokes and memes.
If it looks more conventional then they may actually sell more of them. I have reservations for GMC Hummer EV and Rivian R1T. I specifically didn't make a reservation for the Tesla CyberTruck because it does not interest me, at all, in it's as-announced form. Tesla has a lot of advantages with market experience and a good charging network... If they pulled their collective head out of their ass then they could dominate with a practical truck.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it looks more conventional then they may actually sell more of them. I have reservations for GMC Hummer EV and Rivian R1T. I specifically didn't make a reservation for the Tesla CyberTruck because it does not interest me, at all, in it's as-announced form. Tesla has a lot of advantages with market experience and a good charging network... If they pulled their collective head out of their ass then they could dominate with a practical truck.
They might appeal more to conventional truck buyers but I think it'll turn off a lot of Tesla fans who like the Cybertruck and have a reservation already.

·
Registered
799 Posts
They might appeal more to conventional truck buyers but I think it'll turn off a lot of Tesla fans who like the Cybertruck and have a reservation already.
Possibly. I have spoken with several people who have reservations but have also told me they hope the design gets diluted significantly. Basically, they ignore the Elon-hype and wanted to reserve a place in line for what will hopefully be a more practical product.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Possibly. I have spoken with several people who have reservations but have also told me they hope the design gets diluted significantly. Basically, they ignore the Elon-hype and wanted to reserve a place in line for what will hopefully be a more practical product.
I have a reservation, but no way I’m buying that thing. I just haven’t gotten around to asking for my $50 back yet. I think the relatively low reservation deposit means that you’ll have lots of reservation holders who jumped in on a whim (like me) but will not convert their reservations into purchases.

Reactions: R99

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a Ford plug-in hybrid owner (Fusion Energi), I'm ready to leave Ford. Yes the technology has improved since I purchased my vehicle, but I'm ready to see the market disrupted by Rivian.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a Ford plug-in hybrid owner (Fusion Energi), I'm ready to leave Ford. Yes the technology has improved since I purchased my vehicle, but I'm ready to see the market disrupted by Rivian.
Have you had issues with your Fusion or do you just want to change things up from Ford?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had the car since 2015. It's worked well, over 150k miles. The battery is the main issue, when I first started it was getting around 24 miles on an electic charge. Over time it has gradually decreased. Now at 6 years, it is getting about 12 miles on a charge.

There are also issues with the scheduled charging, that have never worked on the vehicle.

I'm also ready for a change from Ford. The dealerships are a pain. Ford also killed off some features for the entertainment and service through Ford Sync two years into vehicle ownership.

Have you had issues with your Fusion or do you just want to change things up from Ford?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had the car since 2015. It's worked well, over 150k miles. The battery is the main issue, when I first started it was getting around 24 miles on an electic charge. Over time it has gradually decreased. Now at 6 years, it is getting about 12 miles on a charge.

There are also issues with the scheduled charging, that have never worked on the vehicle.

I'm also ready for a change from Ford. The dealerships are a pain. Ford also killed off some features for the entertainment and service through Ford Sync two years into vehicle ownership.
I hate when companies do stuff like that with infotainment features. Which services were they?

·
Registered
100 Posts
one thing for sure...it's time for me to buy some Ford stock...they're going to do very well and the Lightning is going to boost them tremendously. We have the Mach-E and love it...I have no reason to think the F-150 EV won't be awesome. Let's check back in like 1 year and see where Ford stock price is...at about 15 right now, it's up a lot over the last few months...this is likely just the beginning! I think Ford will be a great player in the EV space.

·
Registered
23 Posts
one thing for sure...it's time for me to buy some Ford stock...they're going to do very well and the Lightning is going to boost them tremendously. We have the Mach-E and love it...I have no reason to think the F-150 EV won't be awesome. Let's check back in like 1 year and see where Ford stock price is...at about 15 right now, it's up a lot over the last few months...this is likely just the beginning! I think Ford will be a great player in the EV space.
You should have bought before the reveal. Stock is up over 30% since then.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ford had 50K reservations in 48 hours of launch. Tesla already has over 1 million preorder. I am guessing Rivian to be less than < 70K. I booked mine on April, 2020 and my number is around 44K. I really want Rivina to succeed but the last update from Rivian was heart breaking and if you read it right the delay is not by one month but actually by 6 months, Spring of 2022 is 6 months. And the way the news was shared we were all hoping for guides to reach out to early
LE holders but as May came to close we got this delay. It has shaken my trust a bit. If I can't trust a man's word how can i trust there product. I have bookings for Tesla and Ford too, so as a consumer, who ever does a better job of keeping their promise, takes my money.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ford had 50K reservations in 48 hours of launch. Tesla already has over 1 million preorder. I am guessing Rivian to be less than < 70K. I booked mine on April, 2020 and my number is around 44K. I really want Rivina to succeed but the last update from Rivian was heart breaking and if you read it right the delay is not by one month but actually by 6 months, Spring of 2022 is 6 months. And the way the news was shared we were all hoping for guides to reach out to early
LE holders but as May came to close we got this delay. It has shaken my trust a bit. If I can't trust a man's word how can i trust there product. I have bookings for Tesla and Ford too, so as a consumer, who ever does a better job of keeping their promise, takes my money.
Ford and Tesla were charging MUCH less for preorders.

A higher reservation price is a larger commitment and fewer people who are "on the fence" will put down their money.

I bet Rivian has a higher conversion rate. Teslas conversion rate is going to be BAD.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts