Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
If Ford launches the Lightning like they are launching the Bronco, then the R1Ts and R1Ss will flood the streets long before eagle-eyed observers spot the first F150 Lightnings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am all in for Rivian R1T. I reserved 3/15/21 with the expectation of probably getting my R1T by Jul-Aug 2022. Since then there has been an explosion of EV vehicles announced for deliveries in 2022-23 which will put a lot of pressure on battery supplies.

As I recall Tesla had a long hard fight to get to 5,000 vehicles per month. I think it will be a similar story for Rivian (new to HVM) assuming the supply of parts (batteries for example) is sufficient and they can hire and train enough folks to make high volume quality production possible in a relatively short period of time. Currently 1600+ job openings at Rivian of which many are engineering.

My expectation for delivery of my R1T is now spring of 2023 given my late reservation. I suspect that most, including F150 Lightning will also have significant delays. Ford is probably in the best position in regards to achieving HVM in a short period of time but is subject to parts availability.

As I said above I am all in for Rivian R1T and will wait for as long as it takes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ford and Tesla were charging MUCH less for preorders.

A higher reservation price is a larger commitment and fewer people who are "on the fence" will put down their money.

I bet Rivian has a higher conversion rate. Teslas conversion rate is going to be BAD.
100% agree. I haver reservations on both the CT & the F150 but prefer the Rivian over either. I am looking to lease so am waiting for (hopefully) future info from Rivian regarding leasing before placing a deposit. For the $100 deposits, I am ok having them out there just to have my place in line and find out about leasing later on.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
one thing for sure...it's time for me to buy some Ford stock...they're going to do very well and the Lightning is going to boost them tremendously. We have the Mach-E and love it...I have no reason to think the F-150 EV won't be awesome. Let's check back in like 1 year and see where Ford stock price is...at about 15 right now, it's up a lot over the last few months...this is likely just the beginning! I think Ford will be a great player in the EV space.
Since we can't invest in Rivian yet I bought some Ford stock a couple of months ago. Fingers crossed it keeps going up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Since we can't invest in Rivian yet I bought some Ford stock a couple of months ago. Fingers crossed it keeps going up.
I'm going to get some. I realize it's up 300% since March but it's still at 15.00 and the economic gain for Ford is yet to come. I can tell you, based on the Mach-E, that they have winning products. We absolutely love our Mach-E...I will admit there is a bit of an Apple Play connection issue right now, but the vehicle scores high in all categories. I'd recommend one without hesitation and I'm sure the Lightning, with the HUGE F-150 following will do very, very well.

Rivian is more of a niche play, to be honest. Those loyal to Ford and the F150 are going to go to the Lightning. There is a reason the F150 has been the top selling pickup for like 1000 years...lol...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rivian is more of a niche play, to be honest. Those loyal to Ford and the F150 are going to go to the Lightning. There is a reason the F150 has been the top selling pickup for like 1000 years...lol...
That is what the Big Three said about Tesla back in 2005 when the Roadster came out. Detroit Auto companies didn't give it much thought. Since then, GM, Ford, and Stellantis have been playing "catch-up" in the BEV market. So even if the F150 launches successfully (not probable given Ford's recent launch record), chances the F150 Lightning will be a "game changer" are next to nil. Most people will be drawn into a dealership looking for a F150 Lightning, then get baited and switched to a regular F150 by salesmen and attractive monthly payments. It is what they are currently doing with potential Bronco buyers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is what the Big Three said about Tesla back in 2005 when the Roadster came out. Detroit Auto companies didn't give it much thought. Since then, GM, Ford, and Stellantis have been playing "catch-up" in the BEV market. So even if the F150 launches successfully (not probable given Ford's recent launch record), chances the F150 Lightning will be a "game changer" are next to nil. Most people will be drawn into a dealership looking for a F150 Lightning, then get baited and switched to a regular F150 by salesmen and attractive monthly payments. It is what they are currently doing with potential Bronco buyers.
that's a fascinating take and although you are probably right, I certainly hope many go the EV route. We got the Mach-E and really love it. It has a bit of an Apple Play issue sporadically, but the vehicle is really great...

·
Registered
207 Posts
A bit overblown to call it a "study." It's 155 potential customers (only 60 potential EV customers). Three are (by now) well-known brands and one is pretty much unknown to the vast majority of buyers. So the take-away is that, at least superficially, Rivian holds up well, but it's probative of nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the Ford F-150 Lightning is marketed to tradesmen with timber and tools. That would be the biggest market. Get some Rivian marketing photos of guys on a building site with timber and cement in tray, power tools plugged into the frunk and also a bbq in the back at the football game? Easy.
regards Grahame in Aussie

21 - 29 of 29 Posts